PDA

View Full Version : anyone else remove pulseaudio?

wolfen69
December 31st, 2008, 06:45 AM
i just installed intrepid on one of my computers and was having slight glitching of audio and video while streaming flash videos. i removed pulseaudio installed esound and went back to alsa. also reinstalled flash and every thing works great.

anyone else give pulseaudio the boot?

MikeTheC
December 31st, 2008, 06:51 AM
Haven't touched Pulse here, and all is working just fine.

Rokurosv
December 31st, 2008, 06:54 AM
Tried it in Fedora 10, I had some problems with it and removed it.

NWAdawg
December 31st, 2008, 07:03 AM
We had 5 Linux computers here. All 5 run Sound Blaster live cards. I've gutted pulseaudio's out of 3(all Ubuntu based) of the 5,and the 4th & 5th(#!) never had it. Alsa sound is so much better for our needs.

Riffer
December 31st, 2008, 08:09 AM
there is a HOWTO on this forum explaining how to get rid of pulseaudio. I've see threads going to OSS instead of ALSA. It seems OSS is still in development and has matured quite abit. Alas my linux skills and lack of desire prevents me from testing this out.

Zack McCool
December 31st, 2008, 08:18 AM
There is no need to remove Pulse. The best solution, IMO, is to fix your Pulse installation. The default install that Ubuntu uses seems to be a much bigger problem than Pulse itself...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578

This Howto should solve most problems people experience with Pulse. It sure made a difference here...

MindFlayer
December 31st, 2008, 09:09 AM
Got lots of problems with optical audio output, sound lag, excessive CPU usage and wine games. Now I'm running pure ALSA and everything works as expected, out of the box if I may say. Take the leap of faith if you don't need Pulseaudio!

urukrama
December 31st, 2008, 11:10 AM
I don't install it, and use ALSA on my Debian and Ubuntu computers.

DMcA
December 31st, 2008, 11:23 AM
I would if I had the time for more messing about. Pulse has been nothing but trouble since upgrading from gutsy

Swagman
December 31st, 2008, 11:52 AM
Sound is a mess on this system.

Just scrolling web pages makes music glitch.

gn2
December 31st, 2008, 12:21 PM
Yes, I've removed it from my Ubuntu installations.

billgoldberg
December 31st, 2008, 12:29 PM
i just installed intrepid on one of my computers and was having slight glitching of audio and video while streaming flash videos. i removed pulseaudio installed esound and went back to alsa. also reinstalled flash and every thing works great.

I never installed it in the first place.

Pekkalainen
December 31st, 2008, 12:59 PM
I havent removed it but I do despise it. Just havent gotten around to removing it because Im too lazy to mess with it a the moment.

Why does Pulseaudio suck? The previous sound system started working fine by Edgy or so, why fix something that isnt broken :(

Hells_Dark
December 31st, 2008, 01:12 PM
Works fine on both of my computers.

glotz
December 31st, 2008, 02:25 PM
I removed it, I have no use for the features it provides. ALSA is working nicely.

mamamia88
December 31st, 2008, 04:14 PM
seems like once a day i have to go to the terminal and kill pulse audio to get any sound at all i think i'll try uninstalling it to see if that fixes anything

jawinterton
January 24th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I removed pulseaudio and am so happy that I did. Now I've got sound again. I recommend doing it if people aren't having any success getting it working after some time.

WatchingThePain
January 24th, 2009, 11:27 PM
I found that secondlife audio would not work until I removed Pulseaudio.

Pulseaudio supposed to be good because it allows you to control the sound of each app individually or something. That was a real hassle so I dumped it.

RichardLinx
January 24th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Pulse Audio worked fine for me in Ubuntu 8.10, no issues what so ever (It was a different matter with 8.04). So no, I haven't removed It. I'm using openSUSE with KDE at the moment however and have no Idea what sound server I'm using. (First proper trial of KDE4)

Polygon
January 24th, 2009, 11:47 PM
this was the first release where pulseaudio actually worked perfectly, so i just leave it on

the idea of pulseaudio is good, but it still needs to be worked on. Soon it will take over alsa and everything will be good =)

asbesto
June 14th, 2009, 02:37 PM
there is a HOWTO on this forum explaining how to get rid of pulseaudio. I've see threads going to OSS instead of ALSA. It seems OSS is still in development and has matured quite abit. Alas my linux skills and lack of desire prevents me from testing this out.

... WHERE IS this howto?!?!?

gradinaruvasile
June 14th, 2009, 02:44 PM

Oh yes. On every ubuntu installed comp i touched... :))

Here is the all-out method:

http://idyllictux.wordpress.com/2009/04/21/ubuntu-904-jaunty-keeping-the-beast-pulseaudio-at-bay/