View Full Version : Ubuntu - Feed Your Addictions

umechanism
December 31st, 2008, 05:56 AM
I solve things.
That's what I do.
Problems - I fix them.
Equations - I solve them.
Unknowns - I make them known.
This is what I do. I'm driven to find answers, seek solutions, and reveal those things that confuse and bother most people. People call on me to fix their trucks, cars, TVs, lights, plumbing, wiring, audio/video/home entertainment, the list goes on. I'm a fixer. I have a knack for it. I'm good at it. It is common sense to me. Gears, resistors, programs, relationships, algebra, see-saws, monkey bars, and slides - all fall under my broad scope of things I can fix, work on, design, build, integrate, or generally make better. I'm an engineer by education and a tinker-r at my core.

I'm known by these things. I'm not boasting. I help anyone one with anything at anytime - I'm just driven to do so. It's my nature.

It is because of who I am that I use Linux. It is a program that it is in constant flux and in a constant state of "needing fixed". Linux does a lot of things very well but never have I found a distribution that did not require some extra work, tweaking, fixing, research - etc...to make it work with my computer. Ubuntu's nice interface teases me into thinking that it will work "out of the box" with everything I have yet the new desktop computer I purchased before Christmas can not produce any sound because of a driver bug (bug report filed). I can remote desktop from Ubuntu to a WinXP machine with no effort. It works perfectly yet I can't get my webcam to work. There it sits atop my new monitor taunting me with the fact that it works just fine in Vista but more work is needed to make it work in Ubuntu.

Fix me.
I'm broken.
Stay up late.
Google all night long.
Post threads.
Ask questions.
Fix me.

Yet, I've not fixed it.

My speakers have no sound in Linux but are working fine in Vista. Fix them. My all-in-one printer can scan documents perfectly but can only print in color at one resolution. "Fix me" it taunts. "I can work better in Vista. Reboot!"

I've set 10,000 Kg counterweights into mega-machinery.
I've laid out entire manufacturing plants in 3D CAD.
I can take any device apart and put it back together again.
I can paint.
I can hang sheet rock.
I can poor concrete.
I can build a radio from scratch.
I can solder.
I can use computational fluid dynamics to solve thermal problems in low Reynolds number situations.
I can navigate by the stars.
I can set the time on a VCR - but I can't get Ubuntu to recognized a Linksys WMP54G wireless PCI card to save my life. It works great in Vista but is dead in Ubuntu. "Fix me". "Work on me". "You can't leave me in this condition". It taunts me.

There are times when I want to give up. Just let Microsoft win and have all my money. There are times when I'm glad I have Vista to watch YouTube because FireFox crashes in Ubuntu when I visit that website. Yes, there are those "times".

But, the person I described above will not give up. I work on these things until sleep deprivation makes me forget my name. Until my wife reminds me that I need to shave. Until my kids complain that I'm "on the computer again". Until the need to maintain my day job forces me to get at least five hours of sleep.

Or...until the day, the hour, or the minute comes that I fix one of those "things" that has been taunting me. I fix it and my heart races, my eyes widen, and I stand with my fist raised facing Redmond and scream in victory, "THIS - IS - SPARTA!!!"

Fix them.
Then need fixing.
They need me.
Contribute, I will.

This is who I am.

Long Live Linux.

SonnHalter
December 31st, 2008, 06:07 AM
ok w8. so you basically just said "i'm really great at stuff. look at me!!!!" then you said "linux is really bad and needs help all the time" and finally "but like before, I'm really good at fixing stuff cause i'm awesome remember? so i'll keep fixing it until all the bugs are gone. aren't I great?"

all OSs have problems sir. look at vist with compatibility and mac with....being horrible. Linux is a community and it's a great one. if you want to go use vista go use vista. but the truth is. all your problems i've had. it took me less then 20 minutes to go look at a few threads and work things out. I did not go on about how that i should be treated greatly because I'm an author and artist.

jrusso2
December 31st, 2008, 06:11 AM
When Linux has to be installed by the stars you will do great.

umechanism
December 31st, 2008, 06:20 AM
ok w8. so you basically just said "i'm really great at stuff. look at me!!!!" then you said "linux is really bad and needs help all the time" and finally "but like before, I'm really good at fixing stuff cause i'm awesome remember? so i'll keep fixing it until all the bugs are gone. aren't I great?"

all OSs have problems sir. look at vist with compatibility and mac with....being horrible. Linux is a community and it's a great one. if you want to go use vista go use vista. but the truth is. all your problems i've had. it took me less then 20 minutes to go look at a few threads and work things out. I did not go on about how that i should be treated greatly because I'm an author and artist.

I'm on your side man.
Remember, "Long Live Linux"?
It is a shame that one's tone can not be properly displayed in typed text.

nivreial
December 31st, 2008, 06:29 AM
Aye, umechanism, I 'gree: shame we can't make the tone known.

I understood what you mean, anyways...

Linux is awesome, there's no denial. And I'd rather crack my head over some of the bugs (which are fixed faster than Microsoft's, by the way , and are not as many, and are not as severe) and feel the thrill of the adventure getting *everything* to work than feel the thrill of booting 'cause I don't know what security threat is waiting to kill my system.

I've been on both sides, Windows and Linux; worked with both. Linux has a lot more *community*, as was said above, and also more robustness. Ubuntu in particular is closing the gap with the mainstream, so I stick with it rather than other systems for desktop using.

Bugs... well, as a programmer I'll tell you that if you have none you're system might just be too simple or too narrow its usage.

I get your feeling bud! Linux goes with people that:
a) Like research
b) Like to fix things
c) Like to share

But lately... it has been more fit for the rest of the world, basically 'cause of the phenomenon cause by Ubuntu... in any case
Long Life Linux (and the freedoms it represents)
--In any case, I write this after fixing an issue with my resolution :) Been on that for the last hour.

About that issue with loading youtube on firefox... which version you have?

sofasurfer
December 31st, 2008, 06:30 AM
O goody!!
I have some problems that you may be able to help me with. Heres my most recent delema... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1026237.

Another big issue is with my 95 GMC 4x4. The brake pedal is spongy. I have bled the brakes 6 times and had 3 mechanics say they still need to be bled properly.

A problem thats been with me a long time is acid reflux. I used to take prilosec but now I just drink Aloe Vera juice a couple times a day. But I'd really like to find a permanent cure for this problem.

A much simpler problem is trying to find out what brand of antenna rotor I have so I can get a control box for it. Its 25 ft up on the tower and I am a little scared to climb up there. I tried using a binoculars to see a name on it but theres not one that I can see. I'm trying to get the local pet store to rent me his monkey but that isn't looking like it will pan out.

I have a 60 ft tree behind my pole barn thats getting ready to fall down on the roof. 3 other trunks fell but they went the other way. I don't know how I'll get this tree down since it is leaning out over the barn.

Can you help me with any of these situations? If so I'd appreciate it because I have some other things that you might be able to help me with.

nivreial
December 31st, 2008, 06:36 AM
Lol... don't be mean, sofasurfer :D

You know it wasn't like that :P

gerbman
December 31st, 2008, 06:42 AM

and how is this a "general support question"?

sofasurfer
December 31st, 2008, 06:51 AM
No offense intended. Just helping to get this thread going.

EDIT::
P.S. As you can see (to the left) I have a little problem with an obese cat too.

nivreial
December 31st, 2008, 06:54 AM

and how is this a "general support question"?

He stated some issues... could be considered general support?

:P

What's the brand of your cam, umechanism? and what is the version of firefox that you have?

cariboo
December 31st, 2008, 07:39 AM
If you actually gave us a list of your hardware, we could probably make suggestions as to how fix it too.

In a Applications-->Accessories-->Terminal type:

sudo lshw

and paste the output in your next post.

Jim

nivreial
December 31st, 2008, 07:43 AM
No offense intended. Just helping to get this thread going.

EDIT::
P.S. As you can see (to the left) I have a little problem with an obese cat too.

Little...??

Oh, dear, that cat's everything but small!

redilyn
December 31st, 2008, 02:06 PM
but I can't get Ubuntu to recognized a Linksys WMP54G wireless PCI card to save my life. It works great in Vista but is dead in Ubuntu. "Fix me". "Work on me". "You can't leave me in this condition". It taunts me.

I'm not sure if you have done this yet:

I have a WMP54GS card in one computer running intrepid. It is recognized by default but does not work.

The solution for me has been to simply plug that computer in to a wired connection, do a complete update. and then install B43-fwcutter.

I'm not a 100% sure (I don't like to mess with that card after its working lol) but I think B43-fwcutter will download the firmware for you and have you running in no time. If not just follow the directions to extract the firmware from the windows drivers.

One last thing, I have never got the card working reliably with ndiswrapper.

I hope something in this post will help you. :)

gerbman
December 31st, 2008, 04:51 PM
He stated some issues... could be considered general support?

:P

What's the brand of your cam, umechanism? and what is the version of firefox that you have?

For some reason, I don't think the primary purpose of the original post was to request help.

rbmorse
December 31st, 2008, 05:23 PM
Yeah, it was. Let's try and find our sense of humor.

He was just being a little artistic...theatrical . Imagine the same text delivered as a soliloquy by an actor on stage. Projection of irony in order to differentiate himself from the routine of "how do I get wireless to work" or "my monitor doesn't show the right display" that makes up most of the posts here.

Let's give the guy a break (and some brakes to the guy with the obese cat while we're at it).

gerbman
December 31st, 2008, 06:01 PM

He was just being a little artistic...theatrical . Imagine the same text delivered as a soliloquy by an actor on stage. Projection of irony in order to differentiate himself from the routine of "how do I get wireless to work" or "my monitor doesn't show the right display" that makes up most of the posts here.

Let's give the guy a break (and some brakes to the guy with the obese cat while we're at it).

I've got a healthy sense of humor. I was simply observing that if the purpose of the post was to be funny, it should have been posted in a different forum. If the purpose was to request help, then it should have followed "most of the posts here" and simply provided details for the problems.

umechanism
December 31st, 2008, 07:11 PM
O goody!!
I have some problems that you may be able to help me with. Heres my most recent delema... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1026237.

Another big issue is with my 95 GMC 4x4. The brake pedal is spongy. I have bled the brakes 6 times and had 3 mechanics say they still need to be bled properly.

A problem thats been with me a long time is acid reflux. I used to take prilosec but now I just drink Aloe Vera juice a couple times a day. But I'd really like to find a permanent cure for this problem.

A much simpler problem is trying to find out what brand of antenna rotor I have so I can get a control box for it. Its 25 ft up on the tower and I am a little scared to climb up there. I tried using a binoculars to see a name on it but theres not one that I can see. I'm trying to get the local pet store to rent me his monkey but that isn't looking like it will pan out.

I have a 60 ft tree behind my pole barn thats getting ready to fall down on the roof. 3 other trunks fell but they went the other way. I don't know how I'll get this tree down since it is leaning out over the barn.

Can you help me with any of these situations? If so I'd appreciate it because I have some other things that you might be able to help me with.

:o LOL!

Oh, what the heck...

Brakes - have your mechanic check/replace your master cylinder then bleed the brakes. Your truck likely has drums on the back that can be adjusted by driving in reverse at about 15 MPH then slamming on the brakes. Your fronts are disc brakes and may actually need new piston/o-rings installed but it is usually cheaper to just by new calipers. Don't get the refurbished ones from AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts because they are junk. Buy new ones.

For acid reflux - go to your local vitamin/nutrition store and asked for Fennel. It is a "natural" cure for Acid Reflux. My father-in-law gave up the Prilosec after taking Fennel. Google "Fennel" and you will see.

For the antenna rotor - It depends on what type of antenna it is. Is it for TV reception or are you an amateur radio operator with a 20M SteppIR on a 25-Ft tower? Rotators are mostly DC and their controls are somewhat universal. Yeasu, Kenwood, and MFJ Enterprises make really nice rotators and their control boxes may be "universal" enough for them to work with yours. It may be possible to verify that your rotor still works by putting 12V across the leads.

For the trees - Since it is already leaning over the roof, I'd recommend you call a tree service who can bring a bucket truck out and "top" the tree. They can remove it without incident and should be insured just in case the tree falls while they are working on it. I've never topped a tree but I've seen it done many times. Dangerous work.

:popcorn::D

Now, back to Linux - I love Linux and use it 90% of the time. I am asleep the other 10%.

The webcam is a Creative VF0230. I'm still looking for a way to make it work so any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

umechanism
December 31st, 2008, 07:13 PM

Exactly! You got it! It is the "theatrics" that do not transfer well with typed text. :popcorn:

redilyn
December 31st, 2008, 07:15 PM
So did you get your wireless to work??

For the record, I found your first post entertaining. :)

umechanism
December 31st, 2008, 08:52 PM
If you actually gave us a list of your hardware, we could probably make suggestions as to how fix it too.

In a Applications-->Accessories-->Terminal type:

sudo lshw

and paste the output in your next post.

Jim

I'm pretty sure that my webcam's chipset is not yet supported in Linux unless I'm missing something. According to the information in this post, http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-607309.html , my Webcam (4055) is not supported yet. Creative's website does not have an open source driver for it either. Maybe it is time to buy a new camera. :(

The wireless issue is on another computer. The wireless PCI card it is using does not have the Broadcom chipsets that the B43-fwcutter program can initiate/control. It has the Ralink RT2561/RT61 chipset. I've not tried ndiswrapper but I'm slowing heading in that direction. Ralink provides opensource drivers for this chipset but I'm having errors when I try to compile it. Would anyone be willing to help me build them? The RT61 drivers are here http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Linux.html

All help is greatly appreciated.

umechanism
December 31st, 2008, 08:52 PM
So did you get your wireless to work??

For the record, I found your first post entertaining. :)

Not yet. I'm still working on it.

Thanks!

redilyn
December 31st, 2008, 09:05 PM
Which file are you trying to compile? the firmware or the driver?

Whats the error message you get when you try to compile them?

umechanism
December 31st, 2008, 10:16 PM
Which file are you trying to compile? the firmware or the driver?

Whats the error message you get when you try to compile them?

This is what I see when I type "sudo make all";

:~/RT2561/2008_0723_RT61_Linux_STA_v1.1.2.2/Module$ sudo apt-get install kernel-headers kernel-devel
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package kernel-headers is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package kernel-headers has no installation candidate
michael@Michael-Ubuntu:~/RT2561/2008_0723_RT61_Linux_STA_v1.1.2.2/Module$ export KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC=1
michael@Michael-Ubuntu:~/RT2561/2008_0723_RT61_Linux_STA_v1.1.2.2/Module$ cp Makefile.6 Makefile
michael@Michael-Ubuntu:~/RT2561/2008_0723_RT61_Linux_STA_v1.1.2.2/Module$ sudo make all
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.27-9-generic/build SUBDIRS=/home/michael/RT2561/2008_0723_RT61_Linux_STA_v1.1.2.2/Module modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-9-generic'
scripts/Makefile.build:46: *** CFLAGS was changed in "/home/michael/RT2561/2008_0723_RT61_Linux_STA_v1.1.2.2/Module/Makefile". Fix it to use EXTRA_CFLAGS. Stop.
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/michael/RT2561/2008_0723_RT61_Linux_STA_v1.1.2.2/Module] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-9-generic'
make: *** [all] Error 2
michael@Michael-Ubuntu:~/RT2561/2008_0723_RT61_Linux_STA_v1.1.2.2/Module$

umechanism
January 26th, 2009, 04:51 AM
You can check "sound issues" off my list. I now have sound playing where I previously had none.

Fix it I did!

THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:KS

umechanism
April 24th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Webcam - Fixed!
Firefox Crashing - Fixed!
Sound - Fixed!
Stability - Fixed!

I now stand on my work desk with my fists in the air, eyes blazing, and scream towards Redmond, "THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!!"

(theatrics...think, "theatrics".)