PDA

View Full Version : Who uses workspaces?

akurashy
December 12th, 2005, 07:46 PM
I just started to find workspaces more useful, i started separating things to be more organized, my workstation (webdesign, and GIMP), is on workspace 2 and mails things are in workspace3 (thunderbird etc etc), and will workspace 1 is just for normal things, I think its a pretty good idea

Just wondering, how many of you people uses them too?

raublekick
December 12th, 2005, 07:48 PM
I generally don't use them, but I wish I did. I really don't have a use most of the time. I pretty much always have Firefox and Gaim open, but that's about it. I'm thinking about using Evolution for my e-mail though, so maybe I'll give it a workspace of its own.

aysiu
December 12th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Do you want to start a new thread with a poll attached for us visual learners?

23meg
December 12th, 2005, 07:52 PM
I use them and can't live without them. I use five.

darkoptix
December 12th, 2005, 07:58 PM
I use them when working on lots of items at once. It is nice to have each one for different items i'm working on. This seperates music/writing/webbrowsing/burning dvds and cds or whatever to different desktops. This makes it less cluttered for one desktop.

stimpack
December 12th, 2005, 08:01 PM
I use them, cant live without them now. Usually give a whole workspace to a program that runs a long time but I dont check on much, such as Azureus, workspace 1 is for firefox and things I do frequently. Typically if it uses the whole screen as opposed to a window I like it in a seperate workspace too.

spdl
December 12th, 2005, 08:17 PM
I use one for Gaim and FireFox, one for SETI processing and one for code and misc.

linbetwin
December 12th, 2005, 08:17 PM
In Linux I use virtual workspaces to avoid clutter when I'm working with multiple apps. Can I do that in Windows? What ?! Not even that?! How am I suppose to switch then? Windows is not ready for the desktop!

Stormy Eyes
December 12th, 2005, 08:21 PM

I've been using 'em since 1999. You have to pay me to use a GUI that doesn't provide a virtual desktop.

Knomefan
December 12th, 2005, 08:22 PM
In Linux I use virtual workspaces to avoid clutter when I'm working with multiple apps. Can I do that in Windows? What ?! Not even that?! How am I suppose to switch then? Windows is not ready for the desktop!
I know you weren't being serious, but there are several apps that give you that functionality on windows. However, not that I thoroughly tested them, but when I played around with them I wasn't really impressed, to put it mildly.

As to the original question, of course I use them. In fact I can hardly imagine someone not using them.

KingBahamut
December 12th, 2005, 08:23 PM
I think at any given time on my Bahamut box ( my dev box ), I have 12 or 13 workspaces filed......ADHD does that to you. =) trust me I know.

greenwom
December 12th, 2005, 08:37 PM
I use them allot for school,
firefox on 1
paper (open office) on 2
music on 3 (or tv on all 4)
4's open for whatever else; cd burning, file browsing, gimp

I'm trying to find a way to use my second scroll wheel to control shifting between all workspaces. I know you can use the keyboard short cut or the roll the wheel over the applet but I'd like to use my second wheel to go back and forth between the desktops anywhere on the screen.

I also use wallpoaz on my desktop to get different wallpapers in gnome.

JimmyJazz
December 12th, 2005, 08:42 PM
can't live without them

gil-galad
December 12th, 2005, 08:44 PM
I used to use them until I got dual monitors. They are a must have when you only are working with one monitor.

blueturtl
December 12th, 2005, 08:46 PM
1: File Management (Nautilus, Gnome Terminal)
2: Web browser (Mozilla/Firefox/Opera)
3: Video/Audio (XMMS/MPlayer/XINE)
4: Communications (X-Chat, Evolution, GAIM)

I could add more desktops, but then it would propably become a bit more slow to find my way around ;)

swerner
December 12th, 2005, 08:53 PM

I've been using workspaces since I first began using X windows, way back in the 90's.

I like to always have the same set up, I use up to 8 desktops, usually in the following setup:
desktop 1: Evolution
desktop 2: Firefox
desktop 3: midnight commander/shell (file manager)
desktop 4-7: make/IDE/debugging/etc
desktop 7/8: music, skype gaim

majikstreet
December 12th, 2005, 10:10 PM
I use them sometimes... I keep most everything open in my main workspace, but if I use a Bittorrent client or something that will take a long time and can't be in the tray, I'll put it in another workspace..

detyabozhye
December 12th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Yeah, I use them when I'm doing a lot at once and I get annoyed with all the little buttons on my taskbar.

erikpiper
December 12th, 2005, 10:50 PM
1. Firefox

2. Terminal(s)

3. Synaptic (sometimes)

4. XMMS/Streamtuner or amarok

5+ Papers, gimp, and games

I have 6.

mcduck
December 12th, 2005, 10:54 PM
I've been addicted to workspaces since I installed Litestep to win98. Now I have really hard times doing anything if I don't have those ;)

Now I've settled to five workspaces. 4 is not enough but I don't need 6.. First one's for firefox, fourth is for irc, 5th for nicotine and that leaves two workspaces for anything I'm working with (I don't need any for music, since I'm mostly using MPD now and I have controls for it in my panel).

d1337
December 12th, 2005, 10:58 PM
While I've known about them for almost 2 years, it wasn't until recently that I began using them. Just wasn't used to them, but now I can't live without them. I have showed my employees how to use them as well and they are hooked.

d1337

prizrak
December 12th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Yeah I like them, though my usage is the same as everyone else. I basically just move the clutter to the other workspaces. Like away message window or anything else that I don't need to look at. Very useful for us openbox people since the alt+tab on it sux major bootay

earobinson
December 12th, 2005, 11:53 PM
me

this would be better as a poll <------------- repost?

endersshadow
December 13th, 2005, 12:08 AM
I use four, and for various reasons...I like giving GIMP its own workspace, since it's got so many windows that open up. Firefox and gAIM get workspace #1 for the most part, and Rhythmbox gets #2. I really don't have any continually running programs other than gAIM, so it's mainly just for moving stuff around to keep it uncluttered...I don't have a set list like most of you :)

Lovechild
December 13th, 2005, 12:13 AM
I use 1.. I'm rather imfamous for writting a diatribe against the use of virtual desktops within the Foresight Linux community. I think it's a silly hack around a bigger issue.

Why is it we insist on implementing this crack?

PrincessPeach
December 13th, 2005, 01:48 AM
At the office, I use around 3:
1 - main space where all the work-related tasks go.
2 - screw around space where I browse the web, IM people, play little games.
3 - GIMP when I need it.

At home:
1 - firefox, thunderbird, gaim
2 - terminals, emacs
3 - GIMP
4 - music/video players

Like a previous poster, I've been using workspaces even in the days of litestep on windows and love them. From an ADHD perspective, they're great for limiting distractions when you're trying to focus on something. From a slacker perspective, it's easy to switch to a workspace with work-related materials when people like the boss come around.

Wide
December 13th, 2005, 01:52 AM
I sure use them, one of the great ways to keep things in order while trying to work

aysiu
December 13th, 2005, 02:05 AM
Never use them. It's rare that I have more than three windows open at any given time.

majikstreet
December 13th, 2005, 02:07 AM
mcduck, wow... you used litestep on windows... I used to.. then it f'cked up my comptuer..

BatsotO
December 13th, 2005, 02:34 AM
One for main task, which help me to look like I'm doing something.
One for gimp since it's open up quite a few windows (ps is simply simpler with one window).
One for everything else i want to hide from my boss.

detyabozhye
December 13th, 2005, 03:20 AM
Procrastinators! Wait! I'm one too. AAAHHH. LOL

Malphas
December 13th, 2005, 06:54 AM
I find them very useful and they're one of the things I miss when I have to use Windows.

benplaut
December 13th, 2005, 07:16 AM
i have one for school work, one for forums, IRC, etc... one for web design (takes alot of windows open), and one for graphic design.

the most RAM i've ever used was 500mb, and that was when i used mono (HUGE memory leaks in it)

atoponce
December 13th, 2005, 07:19 AM
I use the default 4.

1- Internet
2- Programming
3- Configuration
4- Play

I can' t live without them.

23meg
December 13th, 2005, 07:31 AM
I respect everyone's choice to use their OS the way they like, but I find the workspace paradigm so convenient, I think it makes so much sense that I can't help but suggest everyone who doesn't use workspaces to try the following. You'll need:

- A mouse with a wheel that works in Gnome
- A willingness to replace some habits with new ones for efficiency's sake

1) Put the workspace switcher applet to one of the corners on your screen, preferably the upper rightmost one or the lower rightmost one if you're right handed, vica versa.

2) Put each of your constantly running applications in a non-minimized state in its own workspace. You can put those that perform similar tasks and/or take little space together.

3) Now just shove your mouse pointer to the corner where the switcher resides and roll your mouse wheel over it, back and forward. Note how easy it is to switch between your open apps this way, even if you use workspaces only as a way to switch between particular running apps. Put part of Fitts' law to practice.

4) Give it some time. Don't quit it right away. If it settles down with you, customize your workspace use to your liking; adopt habits of keeping certain things in certain workspaces, automate them with Devil's Pie (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=75749), etc.

Goddess_of_Linux
December 13th, 2005, 07:33 AM
I use them a lot too... I use them so much in Linux that I actually install the Windows XP powertoy called Deskman.exe which is Microsoft's version of multiple desktop workspaces. Just like Gnome gives you initially 4 desktop workspaces. I like to use them in both Linux and Windows for that reason...

ubuntu27
December 13th, 2005, 07:35 AM
This thread needs a poll :D

mrf
December 13th, 2005, 07:42 AM
I have the gnome panel placed vertically on the right edge of my desktop, the top half of it is taken up with a workplace switcher with 36 (the max) workspaces. I turn off the minimize and maximize buttons on the metacity theme. Somehow I have it setup (can't remember how) that all windows would be automatically maximized. I just slide the mouse over to the right edge of the screen (fitts law style) and roll the mouse wheel to switch from program to program. Usually it's set up so workspaces are grouped together in ways that are logically meaingful, most used together in the middle, and less used at the top or bottom.

works for me. I think I'm more efficient this way. It was mostly a reaction to the frustration at the slowness of using a w2k era desktop.

mcduck
December 13th, 2005, 09:11 AM
mcduck, wow... you used litestep on windows... I used to.. then it f'cked up my comptuer..
I loved it. If you have to use windows, you can at least get rid of it's user interface and replace it with something lighter and more customizeable ;)
Sadly, I never got it working nicely with dual-screen setup so I haven't used it for two years. Bit sad, I really liked it. I think it's one of the reasons why I felt instantly at home with Linux.

Gustav
December 13th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Thunderbird on 4
Firefox on 3
Main stuff I'm working with right now on 1
Other stuff on all

frodon
December 13th, 2005, 09:52 AM
This is the first thing i hate with windows ... only one workspace !, i really can't live without 4 workspaces minimum.

zorba64
December 13th, 2005, 10:04 AM
I could not live without them now.
I have six and use 3-5 most of the time.

They are up in the top right hand side, where I can get at 'em easily.

sonny
December 13th, 2005, 10:57 AM
I use 4... and I really love the idea of having virtual workspaces... and much more preatty with 3d-desktop it looks so sweat to change from one to other in 3d...

1.- Work (school or office, I don't do both at one time)
2.- Browsing the web and chat
3.- amule, amarok
4.- console, synaptics, breaking the system.

And is great cuz I can pretend I'm working, then swith back to the chat... hehehehehehehe...

asimon
December 13th, 2005, 11:15 AM
I too use workspaces since my first encounter with fvwm in the mid 90s. It has become such a habit to organize my many windows in different workspaces that I hardly can think of working efficiently with only one. Usually I have at least 4. Just having CTRL+F4 to get to your mail window or CTRL+F2 for the IDE is great. Having only one workspace you have to use a taskbar or ALT-Tabbing to choose the right windows, which costs much more time.

asimon
December 13th, 2005, 11:17 AM
This is the first thing i hate with windows ... only one workspace !, i really can't live without 4 workspaces minimum.
I think there are some extentions which add workspaces to windows. I remember having once installed such a thing but somehow it was awfully slow to switch between workspaces which made the whole thing unusable.

akurashy
December 14th, 2005, 06:03 AM
wow a lot of people using workspaces i see :)

The Warlock
December 14th, 2005, 06:39 AM
I generally have one workspace containg Firefox and gaim and sometimes xmame, and one workspace containing actual work (i.e. Eclipse or Abiword). The third will sometimes have programs like Bittorrent or Rhythmbox that need to stay running and out of the way.

And I found some program on Microsoft's site that added workspaces to Windows, but there was no way to move windows from one workspace to another! What's the point?

Malphas
December 14th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Yeah, the deskman powertoy is completely useless. Trust Microsoft to **** up even when they're just blatantly stealing someone else's idea.

Goddess_of_Linux
December 14th, 2005, 07:56 AM
It works for me, but then too a lot of things in linux don't work for me... So maybe I have a pecky system...

benplaut
December 14th, 2005, 08:46 AM
I respect everyone's choice to use their OS the way they like, but I find the workspace paradigm so convenient, I think it makes so much sense that I can't help but suggest everyone who doesn't use workspaces to try the following. You'll need:

- A mouse with a wheel that works in Gnome
- A willingness to replace some habits with new ones for efficiency's sake

1) Put the workspace switcher applet to one of the corners on your screen, preferably the upper rightmost one or the lower rightmost one if you're right handed, vica versa.

2) Put each of your constantly running applications in a non-minimized state in its own workspace. You can put those that perform similar tasks and/or take little space together.

3) Now just shove your mouse pointer to the corner where the switcher resides and roll your mouse wheel over it, back and forward. Note how easy it is to switch between your open apps this way, even if you use workspaces only as a way to switch between particular running apps. Put part of Fitts' law to practice.

4) Give it some time. Don't quit it right away. If it settles down with you, customize your workspace use to your liking; adopt habits of keeping certain things in certain workspaces, automate them with Devil's Pie (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=75749), etc.

you beat me to it :rolleyes:

also, if you want to save a bit of space after getting used to this, put your workspaces in 2, or even 4 rows

egon spengler
December 14th, 2005, 11:31 AM

It is VERY unlikely litestep broke your computer, much more likely that you broke it then blamed litestep. What os were you running?

To the the topic, I use them all the time on winXP at work. never use them at home on linux

bonzodog
December 14th, 2005, 11:56 AM
heh..I succeeded in gpf'ing win98se...with litestep and a bad attempt fsking with the system.ini fle...I flat installed Caldera 1.3 the following day, removing win altogether.

Anyway, I cope with the one, as I always set my system up to shade windows. (i.e - double-click on the top bar, and it scrolls up). Thats a feature you can only get in XP by adding windowblinds.

artnay
December 14th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Why not use this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=55600) thread instead? It even has poll :confused:

curuxz
December 14th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Personaly i have 2 screens so dual desktops is not high on my list of needs or uses, but they are cool and ocationaly I load up graphics on one, code on another, browers etc

egon spengler
December 14th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Anyway, I cope with the one, as I always set my system up to shade windows. (i.e - double-click on the top bar, and it scrolls up). Thats a feature you can only get in XP by adding windowblinds.

Nah, there's a program the name of which I can't quite recall (possibly shell enhancer) which lets you shade windows amongst many over things (including set true transparency levels for active and inactive windows), there's a program called rollup which shades windows and with bblean (more than likely xoblite too though I am uncertain) you can shade windows too

Goddess_of_Linux
December 14th, 2005, 04:11 PM
yeah it is really cool using windowsblinds but I don't like it because if you have cursorxp and desktopx and winfx and windowsblinds running, they take up a lot of memory...

So I wouldnt really want to try them...

JsPr
December 14th, 2005, 04:26 PM
I do. Four of them. Can't live without them, even installed virtual desktops on my winxp office computer. :-)

Kasanax
December 29th, 2005, 12:19 AM
I use them too! Just switched from XP, and they were one of the first things I noticed. After just a few weeks, I can't stand working without them in XP (though this isn't the only thing I dislike about XP, naturally...)

Usually:

1)Programs with small windows: Gaim, Amarok, etc.

2)Firefox, with mail (still using web-based Outlook, unfortunately - though planning on changing this soon...), other random sites, or OOo

3)Firefox, usually with 5-10 tabs from the Forums/Wikipedia (the 'learning' workspace!:D )

4)Full screen terminal

I've recently discovered BrightSide, which makes switching between workspaces a lot more convenient (and fun!)

fuscia
December 29th, 2005, 11:55 AM
i never used to use them, but then, i found out i could scroll across all the desktops in every window manager but gnome (i think that's correct). well, that's just too much of a toy for me not to use. oddly, i've found it pretty useful, as well.

arazaxirelcinellersadolur
December 29th, 2005, 12:03 PM
that is one of good things at gnome :cool:

chimera
December 29th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Yep I use them alright - 3 desktops:
1 - applications I'm using right now, right here (web browsing, games, office, whatever)
2 - applications I'm running but don't need to see them(music, compiling stuff, firefox downloads)
3 - File sharing (aMule, bittornado)

Supermouse
December 29th, 2005, 01:33 PM
I normally use 2. 1 for general use, and 1 for things I don't need to look at, like file sharing, compiling, etc...

richardjennings
October 16th, 2007, 10:14 PM
does anyone know if I can set workspace 2 's dekstop, to be a different folder than workspace 1's. ie /home/rich/desktop /home/rich/desktop2

This would be very usefull for me. I havnt been able to find any information of any relevance.

Is it possible to have different themes for the different workspaces? This isnt so important, but would also be usefull. Cheers.

-grubby
October 16th, 2007, 11:32 PM
I don't ever use them because I usually only have firefox and sound juicer open. Whenever I'm using a lot of apps I use them though

JacobRogers
October 16th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Love virtual desktops, but I really hate the cube.

scragar
October 29th, 2007, 02:01 AM
I use 6, although what I use the 3rd and 6th for depends on the situation.
1 is primarily for whatever I'm doing.
2 is for chats.
4 is for coding of any sort(I'm experimenting with C++, perl and at the same time I do webdevelopment for a job, go quanta!)
5 is for evolution etc, things that I don't want to look at, but have no way of hiding other than to move them to another desktop(consider pidgin where closing the buddy list sends it to the notification area)

I have them aranged 3 by 2, so 3 and 6 are empty, although I personaly imagine them to be listed verticaly not horizontaly.

Frak
October 29th, 2007, 02:03 AM
Just use 1, don't need any more.

dragon-architect
October 29th, 2007, 03:16 AM
I'm very new at using Ubuntu, but for the couple of weeks before I finally installed it, I put my desktop's mostly unused monitor to use by running a dual-monitor setup on my laptop.

I loved having two desktops to work with, so now I have three workspaces, and I'm lovin' it. I haven't really used much more than two at a time, but I've been pondering the possibilities: Amarok running on #1, OpenOffice.org and firefox on #2, and instant messengers on #3.

I doubt I'll need more than that. 2 desktops weren't quite enough, and 4 seems excessive. So, I stay with three for now. ^^

blithen
October 29th, 2007, 03:27 AM
Yep I use them alright - 3 desktops:
1 - applications I'm using right now, right here (web browsing, games, office, whatever)
2 - applications I'm running but don't need to see them(music, compiling stuff, firefox downloads)
3 - File sharing (aMule, bittornado)

That's exactly what I do. xD

blithen
October 29th, 2007, 03:29 AM
I use 6, although what I use the 3rd and 6th for depends on the situation.
1 is primarily for whatever I'm doing.
2 is for chats.
4 is for coding of any sort(I'm experimenting with C++, perl and at the same time I do webdevelopment for a job, go quanta!)
5 is for evolution etc, things that I don't want to look at, but have no way of hiding other than to move them to another desktop(consider pidgin where closing the buddy list sends it to the notification area)

I have them aranged 3 by 2, so 3 and 6 are empty, although I personaly imagine them to be listed verticaly not horizontaly.
o.o; I don't see why you don't just move everything down and have 4 work spaces instead of six.

Arathorn
October 29th, 2007, 09:50 AM
I have two, but hardly use the second one. I can't even multitask myself, why should I need a desktop that can? I'm hardly using more then one set of programs. I put Thunderbird in the tray with Alltray.

PartisanEntity
October 29th, 2007, 10:03 AM
From another thread:

At the moment I am up to six +2:

X Screen 0:

1. Evolution
2. Firefox
3. Pidgin & Skype
4. Text Editor (for php / html / css)
5. Gimp
6. Usually open folders / misc

X Screen 1:

1. Amarok (in GNOME)
2. KTorrent (in GNOME)

I really love this feature :)

rok3
October 29th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Currently 3.

1) Gaim + open desktop space to view info from Conky.
2) Current most-used application depending on what I am doing.
3) Amarok + various support applications depending on what I am doing.

In the past I had a fourth desktop for a terminal session but thanks to Tilda it's no longer needed.

SunnyRabbiera
October 29th, 2007, 10:18 AM
I do sometimes if I feel my taskbar is too cluttered like when I use GIMP

graabein
October 29th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Off course I use workspaces. They're great. I use 4 spaces.

Browser
Music and video
Graphics and documents
Filesystem and traffic

Whish I had them for Windows XP at work with the compiz cube but no such luck...

DJiNN
October 29th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Always...!! That's one of the many things that i miss whenever i have to use Windows. I usually just use 4, but 6 or more if i'm doing a lot of things.... :)

Samhain13
October 29th, 2007, 01:53 PM
I just started to find workspaces more useful, i started separating things to be more organized, my workstation (webdesign, and GIMP), is on workspace 2 and mails things are in workspace3 (thunderbird etc etc), and will workspace 1 is just for normal things, I think its a pretty good idea

I do pretty much the same thing. On one workspace, I'll have my browsers and Gedit open. On another would be Gimp and a Nautilus. Then I'd use the remaining workspaces for the other stuff like Evolution, Terminals and what-not. :D