PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Vista on XP/Ubuntu Drive

chris_sj
December 31st, 2008, 03:37 AM
I currently have a drive I loaded XP on and later installed Ubuntu. Ubunto installed a boot manager so I can choose either XP or Ubuntu when starting. I now want to install Vista, can I just create another primary parition, install vista to this then redo the Ubunto installation so I get the proper boot manager again. I would prefer not having to overwrite my Ubunto installation , I just want to re-create the boot so I can choose between XP, Vista, Ubunto.

Thanks,
Chris

I ran gparted from my SystemRescueCD and it showed the following layout:

/dev/sda1 fat16
/dev/sda2 ntfs boot
/dev/sda3 extended lba
/dev/sda6 ext3
/dev/sda7/linux-swap
/dev/sda5 fat32

Sin@Sin-Sacrifice
December 31st, 2008, 03:41 AM
You really don't want Vista man. My PC came with it and I tried to keep it for gaming but it finally got so frustrating that I only have Ubuntu now until I can get a copy of XP. But if you do really want to try it then all you'd have to do is reinstall grub... no need to reinstall the OS.

oh yeah... https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

logos34
December 31st, 2008, 03:58 AM
You really don't want Vista man. My PC came with it and I tried to keep it for gaming but it finally got so frustrating that I only have Ubuntu now until I can get a copy of XP. But if you do really want to try it then all you'd have to do is reinstall grub... no need toows[/url]

+1

If you do decide to add vista, it'll place the the boot manager/boot files in the pre-existing active windows partition--i.e. XP C: drive, sda2--as well as overwrite grub on the MBR. So after restoring grub you can continue booting XP entry, which will now give you a choice of vista or xp