PDA

View Full Version : Hello

whero
December 31st, 2008, 02:43 AM
I'm brand new and hope to stick around this forum maybe learn a thing or too.

I've basically got everything working on my brand new intrepid ubuntu except for Windows gaming. But it's ok I installed a seperate partition on my C in Windows. That way I have best of both worlds. I have two general questions to start.

Will most external usb hdd work with ubuntu for media download via windows/ubuntu and 2 if I order a ubuntu CD maybe next release how will the process go as far as partitioning and co-aligning windows and my current settings?

Thanks for making this amazing OS.

Sef
December 31st, 2008, 03:35 AM
Will most external usb hdd work with ubuntu for media download via windows/ubuntu

External Hard drives should work with both as long as the right codecs are installed.

2 if I order a ubuntu CD maybe next release how will the process go as far as partitioning and co-aligning windows and my current settings?

Read Psychocats (http://psychocats.net/ubuntu). As long as your os is supported there is no need to update, unless you want to.

crimesaucer
December 31st, 2008, 06:24 AM
I'm brand new and hope to stick around this forum maybe learn a thing or too.

I've basically got everything working on my brand new intrepid ubuntu except for Windows gaming. But it's ok I installed a seperate partition on my C in Windows. That way I have best of both worlds. I have two general questions to start.

Will most external usb hdd work with ubuntu for media download via windows/ubuntu and 2 if I order a ubuntu CD maybe next release how will the process go as far as partitioning and co-aligning windows and my current settings?

Thanks for making this amazing OS.

I haven't been on xubuntu/ubuntu since Aug.2007.... but if I remember correctly your update function will update to the next OS version without ruining anything..... so you won't even have to get the next CD..... and you will only have a few things that you may need to configure after version upgrade.

Now if you decide to do another fresh install with the next CD, your partitioned dual boot windows should still be the same as it was..... you could even ruin the new install and totally wipe ubuntu off your disk and still be able to log into your windows partition from the grub list.

So after you write over your old ubuntu partition with you new one. Then windows should be recognized in the way it was for your last install or you will have to mount it in fstab again with ntfs-3g or whatever way you used last time.