PDA

View Full Version : How do you picture Ubuntu when windows 7 comes out?

inxygnuu
December 31st, 2008, 02:21 AM
I was just thinking about it, and I was wondering, how do you picture Ubuntu when windows 7 comes out? the version will be 10.04, and the name will be L_______ L______ and we will be 3 releases from now.

fedex1993
December 31st, 2008, 02:34 AM
I see many people going out buying it trying it out for a week then putting the cd into the closet and only using it when a new SP comes out. Pretty much like vista i think.

Sealbhach
December 31st, 2008, 02:44 AM
It will have DRM, Ubuntu won't.

Dharmachakra
December 31st, 2008, 02:48 AM
I don't picture anything different for Ubuntu. However, I've been using the Windows 7 Beta for a few days now and I must say that I really like it. It moves faster than Vista and XP on my system. It's replaced XP as my default Windows install. I expect others to have similar experiences when it goes public next month.

To me, Ubuntu and Windows live in their own separate worlds for now. None really influences the other in any significant way.

whero
December 31st, 2008, 03:01 AM
I guess Microsoft saw it's failed attempt with Vista and will hopefully bring something good to the table.

geoken
December 31st, 2008, 03:06 AM
I was just thinking about it, and I was wondering, how do you picture Ubuntu when windows 7 comes out? the version will be 10.04, and the name will be L_______ L______ and we will be 3 releases from now.

I doubt 7 will come out after Ubuntu 10. I know people dog MS about the delays for Vista, but once they had it in a beta ready state (like 7 is right now) their timetables were very accurate and there were no delays.

Judging by the progress and current stability of 7, I doubt their '09 target will be missed.

My hope is that the gnome devs copy the taskbar in 7, and finaly realize that icons are important and that it might be helpful if the icon size matched the panel size.

MaxIBoy
December 31st, 2008, 03:08 AM
I think the OP was asking about Ubuntu, not Windows.

Windows 7 is coming out fairly soon, Ubuntu will be in version 9.04. The plans for 9.04 are already pretty much set in stone. The OP's mention of 10.04 is a lot more interesting.

I think that by version 10.04, Ubuntu will be a little bit more lightweight, but not too much. However, Ubuntu will also have degraded somewhat into cloud computing and Web dependence. I predict that Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10 will be the most popular versions for other distros to use as a basis.

Giant Speck
December 31st, 2008, 03:47 AM
Windows 7 is coming out fairly soon, Ubuntu will be in version 9.04. The plans for 9.04 are already pretty much set in stone. The OP's mention of 10.04 is a lot more interesting.

There is no way in hell that Windows 7 will be out before April 2009.

When Windows 7 comes out, Ubuntu will be on Version 9.10 or 10.04, depending on whether it is released before or after April 2010.

inxygnuu
December 31st, 2008, 04:00 AM
Well, i have tried the win 7 beta, and I lime it but that is not the point. There really was to point of this thread just to see what people could think up. I hope/think it will be lighter, speedier, and hopefully run more windows apps. Once ubuntu can run needed apps, Bye Bye windows!):P. I think that it will be more stable, and our user gainage will grow over time.

2hot6ft2
December 31st, 2008, 04:27 AM
When it comes out I picture ubuntu on my computers. End of story...:P

-=-+ w1r1zu +-=-
December 31st, 2008, 04:35 AM
Ubuntu? Hmmm. The next generation Operating System hahaha.

As you can see at Windows 7, it copied Kubuntu's taskbar. That's all what Microsoft knows. Copy styles from other Operating Systems like Mac OS X and Kubuntu.

I haven't tried the beta but it's like a Vista upgrade. For me Vista sucks 'cause its got a lot of bugs and other vulnerability issues. It would have been better if the system is like XP and just changed the GUI.

Since Ubuntu releases every 6 months, I go for it. I wonder what name would be called after 8.10 is named Intrepid.

MaxIBoy
December 31st, 2008, 05:01 AM
Jaunty Jackalope. It's already in alpha-testing.

zeronothing
December 31st, 2008, 05:17 AM
I'm just hoping for a better theme for ubuntu by the time windows 7 comes out. the same theme has been in place since I started using ubuntu 5.04. I'm not saying, to get rid of the brown theme. I just want to see something new and fresh. I think this is what windows 7 is going to bring that might have have people switching back (even though deep down its just a cover up for vista). the demo canonical did for the new notification (http://www.markshuttleworth.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/jaunty904_notifications_example1_web_092.swf) system looked awesome. I hope it makes it into a version of ubuntu soon.

aschwerin.moses
December 31st, 2008, 05:39 AM
well.. i think Windows 7 is going to get something that's new when it comes to computers.. TOUCH... the photo application is really cool, like in Minority Report...

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=oEvAwmS7Ysg&feature=channel_page

Im living on ubuntu and wish to see 9.04. I want the default brown theme to get out.. and see something more pretty, better icons, better buttons, better sound.. i wish 9.10 some out with TOUCH.. and Linux can really do good in Touch..

phaed
December 31st, 2008, 06:26 AM
Maybe we'll have a new theme by 10.04. :)

Cl0ud9
December 31st, 2008, 06:26 AM
and the name will be L_______ L______ and we will be 3 releases from now.

Leaping Leopard is the first thing that comes to mind, although Mac already has Leopard taken.

MaxIBoy
December 31st, 2008, 06:36 AM
Libidinous Lion...

(By the way, that notification thing looks cool, but hopefully it's not used for every little thing, because it also looks like it could potentially be extremely annoying.)

MikeTheC
December 31st, 2008, 06:54 AM
Usually, I picture things with a camera. Since I have no intent on using my digital camera in that particular capacity, it's fair to say I won't be picturing Vista 2.0 er, I mean Windows 7, at all.

jrusso2
December 31st, 2008, 06:57 AM
I see Windows 7 as a trimmed down Vista with less applications which it is since they are asking you to download the live versions.

SonnHalter
December 31st, 2008, 07:03 AM
laughing libra will be so kewl.

I'm excited for the beta (sig) though,

the thing to remember is that I love windows, not microsoft

Abu_Dayya
December 31st, 2008, 12:04 PM
When people say "ubuntu will be lighter" Does that mean lighter than Windows 7? or lighter than Hardy and Intrepid? Cause if you mean lighter than Windows 7, that would be a disaster. In microsoft world newer = heavier

Greyed
December 31st, 2008, 12:14 PM
Cause if you mean lighter than Windows 7, that would be a disaster. In microsoft world newer = heavier

And yet Windows 7 is slimming down from Vista. :P

(By the way, that notification thing looks cool, but hopefully it's not used for every little thing, because it also looks like it could potentially be extremely annoying.)

The fact that it is there is annoying. Really, I don't need my computer acting like a 5 year old hopped up on 3 liters of Jolt Cola! telling me every little thing it feels is important.

Abu_Dayya
December 31st, 2008, 03:52 PM
And yet Windows 7 is slimming down from Vista. :P

Huh?
Now thats unusual from Microsoft

motang
December 31st, 2008, 04:15 PM
It will have DRM, Ubuntu won't.

Yeah I was excited about Windows 7 till I found out about the DRM...no thank you, I shall stick with Ubuntu and be happy.

inxygnuu
December 31st, 2008, 04:34 PM
Speaking of DRM,

"Once you put Windows on your system, you already have a virus."
-Me

Think about it, a virus takes away your rights, and so does DRM.:-k

My quote is allowed to be put in any sigs.;)

Tom--d
December 31st, 2008, 04:43 PM
Speaking of DRM,

"Once you put Windows on your system, you already have a virus."
-Me

Think about it, a virus takes away your rights, and so does DRM.:-k

You've got a point there.

plun
December 31st, 2008, 05:11 PM
I have never tested anything so good from Redmond....

Running it on an old Acer notebook "wreck"....

http://ubuntu-pics.de/thumb/7786/capture_Dw3Ruj.png (http://ubuntu-pics.de/bild/7786/capture_Dw3Ruj.png)

Jauntys development seems to be stucked with a Debian/Fedora "building barriers doctrin".... ](*,) Where is the bug No 1 :confused::confused::confused:

Not even fun....:(

Main stream test
http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3223

inxygnuu
December 31st, 2008, 05:33 PM
I have never tested anything so good from Redmond....

Running it on an old Acer notebook "wreck"....

http://ubuntu-pics.de/thumb/7786/capture_Dw3Ruj.png (http://ubuntu-pics.de/bild/7786/capture_Dw3Ruj.png)

Jauntys development seems to be stucked with a Debian/Fedora "building barriers doctrin".... ](*,) Where is the bug No 1 :confused::confused::confused:

Not even fun....:(

Main stream test
http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3223

If that is your notebook, ouch. Win 7 is nothing without transparency.

wykedengel
December 31st, 2008, 05:49 PM
I picture Ubuntu staying the course and working on better stability with hardware while slowly introducing new features.

plun
December 31st, 2008, 05:50 PM
If that is your notebook, ouch. Win 7 is nothing without transparency.

Well... it has an old SIS 645 graphic chip

512MB RAM an an old AMD processor...

But everything just works... just to remove junk as IE8 and Media player and install better software.

And Debian votes about firmware and other devs about howto kill nVidia...
others about marketing...

Just tragic...:(:(:(

"Happy New Year".....:D

inxygnuu
December 31st, 2008, 06:06 PM
Well... it has an old SIS 645 graphic chip

512MB RAM an an old AMD processor...

But everything just works... just to remove junk as IE8 and Media player and install better software.

And Debian votes about firmware and other devs about howto kill nVidia...
others about marketing...

Just tragic...:(:(:(

"Happy New Year".....:D

wait, how did you get your copy?

happysmileman
December 31st, 2008, 06:14 PM
I'm actually hoping that interface wise I can get my KDE install (will probably still be Kubuntu, unless I find a better distro for KDE) to look like Windows 7, at least the taskbar and window decorations.

I'd say that would be possible but there isn't much current development for Window decorations and/or styles in KDE4 compared to Gnome or KDE3, quite possibly because the APIs are both new and change with every release, so by the time you finish one you almost have to change it straight away to keep up with the changing APIs, though I imagine that will settle down very soon now.

plun
December 31st, 2008, 06:27 PM
wait, how did you get your copy?

Well... we have the worlds largest tracker within my country... mostly serving US and India... just to get a copy.

Mr Bush was also trying to close it....:D

Nevertheless just a shame ...:(

geoken
December 31st, 2008, 06:30 PM
As you can see at Windows 7, it copied Kubuntu's taskbar.

How did they copy KDE's taskbar? By making it 10px taller?

Are you seriously suggesting that the concept of increasing the size of UI elements to accommodate advancing monitor sizes/resolutions is something that KDE invented? Did you think that standard monitor sizes would increase by x% and Microsoft UI designers would be to dumb to say "hey, maybe we should make use of that extra space" and that they wouldn't be able to come up with the idea without stealing it? It's funny how KDE 4 got slammed everywhere for looking like Vista, and now that MS comes out with a new OS that also looks almost exactly like Vista you forget who originated the look and claim MS is copying KDE.

Also can you please elaborate on the Vista specific vulnerabilities? I know of several recent exploits that affect XP while Vista is immune, but exploits that go the other way around are far more scarce (if they exist at all).

ranch hand
December 31st, 2008, 06:34 PM
I picture Ubuntu, in one dist or another, on any computer(s) we own. Win7 will not be on any of them.

plun
December 31st, 2008, 06:45 PM
Also can you please elaborate on the Vista specific vulnerabilities? I know of several recent exploits that affect XP while Vista is immune, but exploits that go the other way around are far more scarce (if they exist at all).

Well... there are no and for sure also for Linux, Vista has been a little safer because of UAC.

http://www.milw0rm.org/

Its just software...

inxygnuu
December 31st, 2008, 07:01 PM
Well... we have the worlds largest tracker within my country... mostly serving US and India... just to get a copy.

Mr Bush was also trying to close it....:D

Nevertheless just a shame ...:(

Couldn't resist, huh?:lolflag: .In my view, that is how 1/2-3/4 of people got it. I have been looking on windows 7 news sites, and they mostly talk about it being on torrents. I am going to stop now.:)

plun
December 31st, 2008, 08:22 PM
Couldn't resist, huh?:lolflag: .In my view, that is how 1/2-3/4 of people got it. I have been looking on windows 7 news sites, and they mostly talk about it being on torrents. I am going to stop now.:)

Yup... MS is smart, then they rolls out the official within next week.

All Baghdad Bob (http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com/) types is just pathetic to listening to about Windows 7.

Lets se what Jaunty can bring.... but it has been quiet after UDS except to have fun with Ubuntu.... also just pathetic.

The Fedora/Debian trap to a "dead end" maybe ..:(:(:(

Sand & Mercury
January 1st, 2009, 12:13 AM
Mm, kind of brown.

Geemonster
January 1st, 2009, 12:34 AM
I'll get it just to have a look,but since i installed a dual boot Xmas eve,im so impressed,it's opened my eyes,ubuntu that is.

Giant Speck
January 1st, 2009, 12:37 AM
mm, kind of brown.

+1

:p

carml
January 1st, 2009, 12:39 AM
My first notebook had Windows XP a few time after its birth,it was a epocal change for Microsoft and for users.The users saw any "loved" bluescreen because of hardware that wasn't supported by XP,but after any years it became more stable and reliable.
Now my second(the first is dead) has Windows Vista,and again thanks to Microsoft I saw (like others) any bluescreen and also a OS more heavyer than XP, so I suppose Windows 7 will be more boring and heavyer than its precursors.
I'll stay and firmly remain with Ubuntu when Windows 7 will be sold. :popcorn:

carml
January 1st, 2009, 12:43 AM
Maybe Ubuntu will be still brown,but quicker than Windows...:):):)

geoken
January 1st, 2009, 04:25 PM
Depends on your hardware. Low end hardware may run Ubuntu quicker. My box (C2D E8400, 4g ram, 8800) runs faster under Vista. Once you pass a certain memory threshold and can make full use of Vista's pre-caching features it seems to not only match, but surpass, the speed of XP.

I think there will come a point where scaling between the lowliest PII 400 w/ 196mb of ram and an i7 w/ 8gb of ram will either be too difficult, or will not be as effective as OSes which are designed, from the core up, to run on that level of hardware.

Chame_Wizard
January 1st, 2009, 05:54 PM
I stick with Kubuntu:popcorn:

HunterK
January 1st, 2009, 06:37 PM
Leaping Leopard is the first thing that comes to mind, although Mac already has Leopard taken.

Luscious Longhorn. Oh wait. Hahaha

MikeTheC
January 1st, 2009, 07:57 PM
Depends on your hardware. Low end hardware may run Ubuntu quicker. My box (C2D E8400, 4g ram, 8800) runs faster under Vista. Once you pass a certain memory threshold and can make full use of Vista's pre-caching features it seems to not only match, but surpass, the speed of XP.
Well, while I can't truly speak to all of those points, I trust you realize it is normally only a matter of time before Linux developers catch up or even surpass what either Microsoft or any other OS maker produces. I lack no faith in them or their track record.

I think there will come a point where scaling between the lowliest PII 400 w/ 196mb of ram and an i7 w/ 8gb of ram will either be too difficult, or will not be as effective as OSes which are designed, from the core up, to run on that level of hardware.
Yeah, well... try telling that to the Debian folks ;)

Seriously, I understand. And considering that the overwhelming majority of development in Linux is for x86, it's really not hard to envision a point when we might even upgrade from i386 to... i686?

sydbat
January 1st, 2009, 09:39 PM
Of course something everyone seems to have forgotten is, when Vista was still in beta, the people who were allowed to evaluate it kept finding what was good and functional in the beta was consistently being removed. Their suggestions to keep several things in Vista were ignored.

This is from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Windows_Vista#Removal_of_announced_fe atures):
Microsoft has also been criticized for removing some heavily discussed features such as Next-Generation Secure Computing Base in May 2004, WinFS in August 2004, Windows PowerShell in August 2005 (though this was released separately from Vista prior to Vista's release, and is being included in Vista's successor, Windows 7), SecurID Support in May 2006, PC-to-PC Synchronization in June 2006. The initial "three pillars" in Vista were all radically altered to reach a release date.I remember reading many more articles, but am having trouble finding them right now.

The point I am trying to make is, Microsoft will promise Windows 7 to be many things before release, but will likely go for flashy/shiny instead.

geoken
January 2nd, 2009, 12:18 AM
Of course something everyone seems to have forgotten is, when Vista was still in beta, the people who were allowed to evaluate it kept finding what was good and functional in the beta was consistently being removed. Their suggestions to keep several things in Vista were ignored.

The point I am trying to make is, Microsoft will promise Windows 7 to be many things before release, but will likely go for flashy/shiny instead.

Nothing you mentioned there was in the beta's. Vista underwent it's Feature freeze before the public beta and nothing of note was removed.

Also, can you tell me which features of WINFS weren't replicated?

k_aneda
January 2nd, 2009, 05:36 PM
Ubuntu will have a little bit of a fight on its hands.

**EDIT: The below is slightly OT and has been marked as such to make BGFG happy. So there.**

I've been using the Windows 7 pre-betas at work for 5 weeks now and must say that I am very impressed with how it is turning out, even for a pre-beta. Yes - I did test out vista when it was pre-beta and beta, and it was nowhere near as finished as this product is.

Microsoft, the great beast it is, has woken up and is starting to improve on its losses, because bloody hell was Vista a waste of space.

Interesting items to note in Windows 7 (6800 build, haven't had enough time yet on 6900/7000 builds):
* Improved troubleshooting through tweaks to Resource Monitor and Task Manager - this made life easier when tracking down pesky heavy file I/O bound processes, right down to the individual file and PID
* Improved install times - average time from DVD to DELL XPS M1300 4gb ram 64-bit -> 15 minutes
* HDD Footprint is reduced slightly
* New 'superbar' - overall I will admit it makes for an easier experience when managing multiple windows (i.e. 10 + emails open, 2 browser windows, remote desktop, couple of putty sessions and a few MSN windows - typical day for me at the office). I would even go as far as to say "I-WANT-THIS-IN-LINUX-NAOW". The decision to remove text from the icons is not as troublesome as some may think..
* New Windows Search core - search is slightly buggy in 6800 build but speed is improved and overall load on system has also been reduced - this was a major performance killer in Vista. Was able to perform searches in Outlook 2007 SP1 across a 2GB OST much quicker than under Vista/Server 2008/XP SP3 (20% improvement avg., but full in-depth testing not done, only basic folder and public folder searches performed)
* Driver Support out of the box - much improved. Hopefully we will *NOT* see the same fiasco when the final version is released, because I am not looking forward to my parents upgrading, having problems, then having to resolve them :)

What is infuriating:
* Changing network settings still requires the same god-awful steps as Vista: Go to Network and Sharing Center -> Manage network connections -> Go to properties of connection -> go to ipv4 properties
* Control Panel has enough icons to make your head spin and then get lost in a maze somewhere
* Locating Printers the first time round also just as fun
* Notification windows in Windows Explorer will move DOWN from the menu bar, causing the entire file list to also move down when you don't expect it - disruptive when trying to open files at the same time. This occurred enough to actually make me want to disable notifications for life. Hoping this is resolved in beta/final version.
* Windows Update is worse than Vista - it will now take it upon itself to restart way more often than you think it will. In Vista, even if it wanted to restart in 2 hours, it would wait for a response. Now? It literally goes off and bounces the system when the alloted time is up...
* Themes - still closed. Wait till someone @ Wincustomise or stardock hacks it again.

BGFG
January 2nd, 2009, 06:33 PM
Didn't the OP ask about UBUNTU using the win7 release date as a point of reference ?
Why all these tirades on windows ?

F!N@LC0MP0S!T3
January 2nd, 2009, 06:34 PM
I picture it like i always did with Linux : Safe easy and Beautiful

plun
January 2nd, 2009, 07:07 PM

Yup... for sure.

"Duke Nukem Forever" as a goal for the moment is rather painful...](*,)

Just tragic...:(

Swagman
January 2nd, 2009, 07:30 PM
Wow.. Looks just like Amiga Os4 from a few years ago

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2099/1549683967_62635127c5_o.jpg

Still.. I guess Hyperion should take it as a compliment.

MikeTheC
January 2nd, 2009, 08:09 PM

**EDIT: The below is slightly OT and has been marked as such to make BGFG happy. So there.**

Thank you for your review of the 6800 pre-beta release. That being said, I still see Apple maintaining an awful lot of traction because of the substantially simpler, smarter and probably still far-more intuitive workflow processes they use vs. Microsoft.

I actually am very curious to see what the finished Snow Leopard will bring to the table, since it represents a lot of competition for Microsoft and Linux in terms of user headcount and implementation of certain technologies.

geoken
January 3rd, 2009, 12:43 AM
Thank you for your review of the 6800 pre-beta release. That being said, I still see Apple maintaining an awful lot of traction because of the substantially simpler, smarter and probably still far-more intuitive workflow processes they use vs. Microsoft.

For example?

BGFG
January 3rd, 2009, 02:59 AM
[QUOTE=k_aneda;6479874]Ubuntu will have a little bit of a fight on its hands.

:lolflag:
Nothing personal k_aneda. You have to admit, this happens a lot. Someone asks an Ubuntu question and for some reason, we chat about windows.
But all the same, my apologies :)

inxygnuu
January 3rd, 2009, 04:41 AM
[Ubuntu will have a little bit of a fight on its hands.

:lolflag:
Nothing personal k_aneda. You have to admit, this happens a lot. Someone asks an Ubuntu question and for some reason, we chat about windows.
But all the same, my apologies :)

Kinda noticed that:) That does make me worry though...

Frak
January 3rd, 2009, 05:26 AM
I don't picture anything different for Ubuntu. However, I've been using the Windows 7 Beta for a few days now and I must say that I really like it. It moves faster than Vista and XP on my system. It's replaced XP as my default Windows install. I expect others to have similar experiences when it goes public next month.

To me, Ubuntu and Windows live in their own separate worlds for now. None really influences the other in any significant way.
Aye

Ubuntu will be at release 9.04 and everything will be like it is now. People use Windows because they've never heard of GNU/Linux, and the only other choice they have is to use a Mac.

handy
January 3rd, 2009, 06:45 AM
[Edit:] Cleaned up the whole post.

Apart from occasionally seeing the name of MS products mentioned in this & some other forums from time to time, which of course occasionally bring about a written response from myself; I don't single out MS, when I think about the huge amount of damage that is being done to this planet by the corporations & most particularly by the corporations share holders.

So in answer to the OP's question I think that there will be a slight downturn in Linux uptake, which will recover fairly quickly & then continue on the same positive course it is on now. :-) Not that I barrack for any kind of monopoly, I actually do the opposite. :-D

As far as the results of the cumulative effects of MS & others of its ilk are concerned? Well, that is not the topic of the OP's question, so I will leave it alone, apart form saying that no smiley is appropriate.

BGFG
January 3rd, 2009, 07:06 AM
Aye

Ubuntu will be at release 9.04 and everything will be like it is now. People use Windows because they've never heard of GNU/Linux, and the only other choice they have is to use a Mac.

So True. Linux simply isn't known widely enough. What it needs is a worldwide ad campaign.
But then the forums would get overrun with persons whose biggest concern would be it's brownness. In the case of ubuntu at least ....

lykwydchykyn
January 3rd, 2009, 07:09 AM
As a (sometimes) Kubuntu user (sometimes icewm), I'm excited about where Ubuntu will be. By 9.04 we'll have kde 4.2, which will be nice, and by 10.04 (if not by 9.10) we'll have kde 4.3 which will likely rock the house.

Lots of improvements in Xorg coming too, and all the talk about speeding up boot time and cleaning up power consumption on the processor should result in a peppy system.

phrostbyte
January 3rd, 2009, 07:54 AM

Really (apt://preload)?

phrostbyte
January 3rd, 2009, 07:55 AM
As a (sometimes) Kubuntu user (sometimes icewm), I'm excited about where Ubuntu will be. By 9.04 we'll have kde 4.2, which will be nice, and by 10.04 (if not by 9.10) we'll have kde 4.3 which will likely rock the house.

Lots of improvements in Xorg coming too, and all the talk about speeding up boot time and cleaning up power consumption on the processor should result in a peppy system.

4.3 is due out by 9.10
4.4 will probably be out by 10.04

KDE is also on a 6 month release cycle

:)

joshmuffin
January 3rd, 2009, 08:09 AM
There are constantly more and more techniques and system's to "slim" or "trim down" an OS but if you want features its going to get bigger. Thats human nature, to evolve. People want better 3D graphics so games look "better" but obviously that needs more recourses.

There are ways to trim down systems if thats all you want.

And yes, Windows 7 will be smaller then Vista.

Ubuntu will evolve just like Windows and I think it will gain the new and improved features just like Windows 7 will.

I know Windows developers and I got a little tip off: Half the reason for Windows 7 is to stop complaints about Vista :P and apparently the next version (which i think is called windows 8) is the one to look forward to.

If I ever use windows again it'll be windows 8.

Frak
January 3rd, 2009, 09:12 AM
It'll save you a whole second, if even that much. It uses 80MB per 1GB (by default). If you have 128MB of RAM, it'll only use around 10MB of cache space. Not enough for serious use.

geoken
January 3rd, 2009, 10:16 AM

Yeah, really. I tried preload after being astonished at how Vista can load Flash and Photoshop faster than Ubuntu could launch Firefox. The benefits of preload seemed completely un-noticable (and yes I used preload for several weeks before coming to this conclusion).