PDA

View Full Version : C++ compilers- easy to use

Maximo7274
December 31st, 2008, 12:58 AM
Is there a c++ compiler for Ubuntu that is like dev-c++ for windows? I tried Geany, but I couldn't get it working right. It can be a really simple compiler, but one that is easy to use as I just want to use it for small projects. I have my desktop with vista and visual c++ for the big projects.

Any help would be appreciated.

cb34
December 31st, 2008, 01:06 AM
i like code::blocks IDE. i tried all the editors and compilers from the repos, and i only like to use this one.

it's in ADD/REMOVE under Programming if you're gui'in it. :)

CLomax
December 31st, 2008, 01:08 AM
I use gcc for C, might work for c++ too.

First make sure you:

sudo apt-get install build-essential
To write the program:

nano name.c
Or you can use gedit.
To compile:

gcc name.c -o name
To run:

./name

Edit:
There's NetBeans too from the repos.

monkeyking
December 31st, 2008, 01:14 AM
theres a bunch of stickies about this.

But are you talking about a compiler or ide?

samjh
December 31st, 2008, 01:36 AM
Is there a c++ compiler for Ubuntu that is like dev-c++ for windows? I tried Geany, but I couldn't get it working right. It can be a really simple compiler, but one that is easy to use as I just want to use it for small projects. I have my desktop with vista and visual c++ for the big projects.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dev-C++ isn't a compiler. It's an Integrated Development Environment (IDE), which is fancy editor with project functionality. The compiler it uses is MinGW, which is the Windows port of the GCC compiler used on Linux/Unix systems.

Try Code::Blocks (http://www.codeblocks.org/). You can find it in the repositories. Install using:

sudo apt-get install codeblocks

nvteighen
December 31st, 2008, 10:45 AM
At the very end, people here usually end up using vi/emacs/gedit/<place a decent text editor> + gcc/g++ as the simpliest solution for C and C++...

ByteJuggler
December 31st, 2008, 10:48 AM
How about KDevelop (http://www.kdevelop.org/)?

ggaaron
December 31st, 2008, 10:54 AM
At the very end, people here usually end up using vi/emacs/gedit/<place a decent text editor> + gcc/g++ as the simpliest solution for C and C++...

Simple and really powerful. It is usually all you need, but for ones that can't live without almighty IDE there is netbeans, eclipse, kdevelop... From these I'd recommend eclipse for c++.

pokerbirch
December 31st, 2008, 03:54 PM
+1 for code::blocks as it's similar to using Visual Studio.

Maximo7274
December 31st, 2008, 04:59 PM
Thanks to everyone for the help. Wow that was fast responding... I was mainly looking for something that was an IDE, but could also compile, just like dev-c++. I guess i will try out code::blocks as it is like visual c++.

Sorry for the lack of knowledge in c++ compilers and IDE:confused:, i am somewhat new to c++ and I didn't really know there was a difference between and IDE and a compiler.

Thanks for all the help!:D
P.S.- I think that was a record for the fastest responding time!:lolflag:

jimi_hendrix
December 31st, 2008, 09:07 PM
vim + g++ == "good coding"