PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wild Dog / World of Warcraft performance?

fohat
December 31st, 2008, 12:44 AM
Hello,

I've been looking at purchasing a Wild Dog with the 1GB ATI 4870 card and the fastest CPU/Most Ram combo. However the main application I would be using on this machine is World of Warcraft and I have some concerns about stability and performance of the game. I've recently been reading threads about how ATI isn't a good card for gaming under Linux, and how the minimap in Wow doesn't always work for example.

I'm just wondering if anyone is running WoW under WINE with an ATI without any glitches?

Also what kind of FPS and how high can you set the graphics options with this setup?

Thanks

gjoellee
December 31st, 2008, 12:46 AM
take a look at this guide: http://kshoster.net/content/howto-install-wow it might improve the FPS, if you want to further imrpove the FPS you must go in and edit Windows register, that can crash your WINE install and everything you have installed with it

emshains
December 31st, 2008, 12:48 AM
Well, yeah the minimap thing sucks, but WoW runs faster on an old 9600 radeon than on a 7300Gt, although the radeon box has 3.0ghz HT p4 with 512mb of ram, while the nvidia box has a puny 1.6ghz sempron.

Lee_Machine
December 31st, 2008, 02:25 AM
I dont know about now, but when I used to play WoW and stopped about a year and a half ago. I was Using Ubuntu and Wine, I didnt have any problems. It ran faster than it did on Windows XP on the same machine.

The major specs were:

AMD 3500 X2

On-board nvidia GeForce 6150

I did have to go into the registry to tweek some settings. If i remember correctly it was to add openGL to improve framerate.

Just to see if it would even run when I got my Panp4n I installed it with no problems and was able to run it at the highest settings. Looks A LOT better than I remember. To bad I cannot play anymore, I miss it :(

fohat
December 31st, 2008, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the responses and link. It seems like there is a way to not use opengl and have the minimap work but with less frame rate. From what I've seen on different threads the bug only happens in indoor zones so hopefully it won't be a showstopper.

I've just taken the plunge and ordered my new wild dog :)

Now comes the waiting :popcorn: