PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] I need to install something using "make && make install" command. I dont kno

hibajugalala
December 31st, 2008, 12:01 AM
I need to install something using "make && make install" command, or atleast thats what it tells me to use, but i don't know how to use it!!!

Can someone please help me!! I'm new to ubuntu.

vambo
December 31st, 2008, 12:08 AM
Looks as if you need to install the build-essential package to get make

In terminal

sudo aptitude install build-essential

or via synaptic package manager, which might be easier if your new.

I take it you're building an app?

oldos2er
December 31st, 2008, 12:11 AM
What program are you trying to compile?

hibajugalala
December 31st, 2008, 12:26 AM
K i wanna install atlantis on my computer.
I read the read me and it says to compile with the usual "make && make install" command.

vambo
December 31st, 2008, 12:44 AM
Assuming you have make installed. Go the the directory where atlantis source is - probably the same one as the README is in - then in terminal

sudo make

Assuming that runs with no errors then

sudo make install

BTW - I have no idea what atlantis is

oldos2er
December 31st, 2008, 12:50 AM
K i wanna install atlantis on my computer.
I read the read me and it says to compile with the usual "make && make install" command.

Got a URL for it?

stderr
December 31st, 2008, 01:04 AM
Typically, the app may or may not provide a 'configure' script - if so, it's best to run that first

./configure

If you're missing anything required to build the app, the configure script will likely give you a hint towards what you're missing.

Following that, you'd run 'make'

make

I wouldn't normally use the root account for either configure or make, though.

Then it's the matter of 'make install', which will need root priviledges.

sudo make install

So, make actually compiles the source code, and make install puts the compiled files in the correct places, as I understand it.

hibajugalala
December 31st, 2008, 01:28 AM
Got a URL for it?

for atlantis?

hibajugalala
December 31st, 2008, 01:36 AM
k when im in the directory and do the make command it says:

Makefile:48: *** [ERROR] Compiz not installed. Stop.

I have compiz istalled so...ye

and a link for atlantis...heres a video of some guy doing it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTRsLW0eet0&feature=channel

and heres a link where i downloaded it from:
http://gitweb.compiz-fusion.org/?p=fusion/plugins/atlantis;a=commit;h=7084e9dff32ac147edc5b912588cbc 468795ba35

and i pressed snapshot to download it.

stderr
December 31st, 2008, 01:42 AM
You may need the dev files too; try

sudo apt-get install compiz-dev

oldos2er
December 31st, 2008, 01:44 AM
Which version of Ubuntu are you running; and have you installed build-essential?

hibajugalala
December 31st, 2008, 07:45 AM
k I installed compiz-dev and now this pops up:
Makefile:144: *** [ERROR] BCOP not installed but is needed to build plugin. Stop.

hibajugalala
December 31st, 2008, 07:57 AM
Which version of Ubuntu are you running; and have you installed build-essential?

k i forgot about build-essentials and i have ubuntu 8.10.. im installing build-essential atm.

hibajugalala
December 31st, 2008, 07:59 AM
k i finished installing build-essentials and the same error pops up

oldos2er
December 31st, 2008, 06:24 PM
Look around for a README and/or INSTALL file; you need to find a list of dependencies.

"Makefile:144: *** [ERROR] BCOP not installed but is needed to build plugin. Stop."

This is referring to compiz-fusion-bcop.

donkyhotay
December 31st, 2008, 06:51 PM
k I installed compiz-dev and now this pops up:
Makefile:144: *** [ERROR] BCOP not installed but is needed to build plugin. Stop.

You just need to install the plugin which is in the ubuntu repos. You can install it with a simple

sudo apt-get install compiz-fusion-bcop
Or from synaptic. Installing with make/install can be frustrating your first time or two. However once you get the hang of it it's not that bad. The biggest problem is with missing dependencies (which is what you're running into now) and generally it's a matter of running ./configure and installing dependencies from the repos until it doesn't give any errors. As mentioned previously you usually need the -dev version when compiling from source like this. Now it's when a dependency isn't in the repos that things get really ugly (and about where I give up and find something else) because then you sometimes have to compile the libraries along with all of *it's* dependencies... thats when I usually give up and find another program.

stderr
December 31st, 2008, 08:08 PM
Basically, for every missing dependency, it's just a matter of searching through the repositories and installing it. In *almost all* cases they should be in the repositories...

You can use

apt-cache search PACKAGE

to search the repositories (well, the sources you have enabled & updated anyway) for a package with PACKAGE in its name. You don't need to be root for that command. Of course, another alternative is to use Synaptic's search feature. What I like about the apt-cache command (and the other apt- commands) is you can use regex in your searches. In its simplest form, you could append a wildcard (*) to the end of a search term... but of course, regexes are very powerful for searching.

Sometimes it's also helpful to use apt-file in determining if you've identified the correct package to install. This command gives you the ability to see which files are in each package, and to search for specific files.

You need to update the file list cache first with

sudo apt-file update

which may take a few minutes, then you can use

apt-file search FILE_NAME

to get a list of packages containing the file FILE_NAME, and

apt-file list PACKAGE_NAME

to list all files in package PACKAGE_NAME.

To see a list of files for a package you already have installed, you can (more simply) use dpkg's file list feature:

sudo dpkg -L PACKAGE_NAME

hibajugalala
January 1st, 2009, 06:07 PM
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH...it finally works.

I love you guys:D!!!