PDA

View Full Version : How does AIR manage to install itself with root privileges?

jfernyhough
December 30th, 2008, 10:43 PM
(I'll post this here as I'm not sure of the best place - mods feel free to move it)

So I thought I'd give the BBC iPlayer desktop application a go. It uses AIR and once you've gone through and set the prerequisite cookie and found a programme to download it asks whether to install AIR. Which it does. In /opt.

Hence, my question is this:

How the hell does a Flash applet running with my credentials manage to install an application to /opt ?

mister_pink
December 30th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Bearing in mind I have used neither of these applications, I can only imagine that when air is installed with root priviledges it uses setuid to enable it to install other applications as root. basically setuid means that anyone can run a specific program as though they were whatever user owns that program.

Sealbhach
December 30th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Hence, my question is this:

How the hell does a Flash applet running with my credentials manage to install an application to /opt ?

You mean Ubuntu doesn't ask for your password?

jfernyhough
December 31st, 2008, 02:06 AM
You mean Ubuntu doesn't ask for your password?Yes, sorry, probably should have mentioned that. It didn't on both machines I installed it on, but whether this was due to running Synaptic relatively recently...

I'm trying to test it again now but it doesn't seem to want to work. :D The applet just sits there with a constantly moving stripy progress bar...

I'll try some other things.

Vadi
December 31st, 2008, 03:01 AM
Adobe AIR does ask for the password.

sudo, however, remembers it for 15 mins by default. If you gave your password recently, it won't bug you again. There's a setting to change this if you'd like, but air does nothing fishy here.

jfernyhough
December 31st, 2008, 03:12 AM
Ah, then that's fine.

I did start to wonder, though. :D

Vadi
December 31st, 2008, 03:15 AM
And that is good behavior :)