PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] No more shutdown or restart buttons in User Switcher Applet

Rippy
December 30th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I've been playing around with AWN, Screenlets, Pidgin and Compiz settings today (on a new install of 8.10), and though I ended up uninstalling AWN and Screenlets, I seem to have messed up my User Switcher Applet (i.e. the button at the top-right).

The dropdown only displays Lock Screen, Guest Session, and Logout, instead of the usual assortment of Shutdown, Restart etc. I have no idea what caused it, though my suspicions are either Pidgin (because when running it adds those status settings to the dropdown) or AWN (because I added an applet that could shutdown/restart.

Either way, I'm wondering how to get it back to default. I've already figured out how to restore the panel to its default settings, but this doesn't help, so I'm thinking I must have to reset something else.

Any help is appreciated,

-Rippy

Rippy
January 2nd, 2009, 08:23 PM
bump? Surely there's some way to reset the menu...

jbruced
January 3rd, 2009, 01:30 PM
Could it be that you have the "logout" installed on your panel and not the "user switcher"?

Tried readding "user switcher" NOT "logout"?

Bruce

WelterPelter
January 3rd, 2009, 05:40 PM
A thread of my struggles with the same issue:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=985433

Hopefully of some use.

Best.

ianhaycox
January 3rd, 2009, 05:55 PM
I have the same problem and found that running the update manager, clicking 'check' and entering the root password restored the options.

I'm guessing that there is something privilege related to the options disappearing. Running other system apps might have the same effect but I haven't taken the trouble to find out.

Rippy
January 3rd, 2009, 08:14 PM
I have the same problem and found that running the update manager, clicking 'check' and entering the root password restored the options.

I'm guessing that there is something privilege related to the options disappearing. Running other system apps might have the same effect but I haven't taken the trouble to find out.
Yep, same thing happened when I tried it, but it only lasts as long as you're logged in.

WelterPelter, I'm trying what worked for you in the thread you linked (logging in as a different user), hopefully that works.

Edit: nope, created a new "test" user account with admin privileges, logged in and then back into my account, and there's no change. For the record, it still shows up with the red power icon, there just aren't any shutdown options.

I think it's that Ubuntu uses a custom applet that isn't actually available in the applets list. Because adding "User Switcher" adds an applet identical to what I have now, i.e. without shutdown options.

Would it help if I tried deleting my .gnome directory?

corbinat
January 3rd, 2009, 10:42 PM
I've had this same problem, but managed to fix it. I don't really remember how though. It was some setting in system->preferences->appearance I think. I'll try to figure it out again

corbinat
January 3rd, 2009, 10:48 PM
Ok I was wrong. Its in System->Administration->Login Window. Click the Local tab and there should be a check-box that says "Show Actions Menu". Make sure that is checked. I'm pretty sure this is what I did to solve my problem.

tenchi19134
January 3rd, 2009, 11:41 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6488157&posted=1#post6488157

tenchi19134
January 3rd, 2009, 11:43 PM
It's the default power button action.
You didn't mess anything up.
Just right click and add the real power button.

Rippy
January 4th, 2009, 06:43 PM
It's the default power button action.
You didn't mess anything up.
Just right click and add the real power button.

What do you mean, right click and add the real power button? If you mean that "Shutdown" applet, that's not what I'm looking for, because that's an actual button that brings up a shutdown/restart menu. I just want my dropdown at the top-right to give me the option to shut down again >_>

It's still displaying all the options again when I do something requiring root privileges (I just updated)...

I also tried the "Show Actions Menu" thing, it was already checked for me, so I don't think that's it. Tried unchecking and re-checking, maybe that changes something.

arad85
February 10th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Just thought I'd post (in case anyone else is looking) that the following post

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6690478&postcount=9

restored the suspend/hibernate/restart/shutdown options in the User Switcher applet for me.