PDA

View Full Version : Join the Not-so-free-as-in-speech Software Foundation

HungryMan
December 30th, 2008, 07:56 PM
DISCLAIMER: Before you go further, remember that I'm not serious. Think of this as something like the flying spaghetti monster. I know somethings I will say are wrong, contradictory and factually incorrect. Also, these jokes involve lame humor. I do not hate or despise the FSF in anyway.

I'm talking about forking from the Free Software Foundation (which I am not affiliated with to begin with, and most likely, neither are you), the same way the People's Front of Judea split in to The Judean People's Front, the Judean Popular People's Front and the Popular Front of Judea, for absolutely no reason at all at the cost of added confusion and redundancy.

Sure, fighting those capitalists was fun, but what about fighting the freedom-oriented dudes fighting those capitalist? With the use of some horribly corrupted and flawed reasoning, you technically become more freedom-oriented than the FSF. And what's more, how you become more freedom-oriented than the FSF doesn't even have to make any sense at all!

What are the benefits of joining? First of all, you're not forced to use recursion! No more problems with things like "GNOME=GNU is Not Unix is Not Unix is Not Unix Image Manipulation Program Tool Kit Networking Object Model Environment (sorry uncyclopedia)". We love simple things like X Server where the X doesn't mean "this is an eXtremely complicated and recursive acronym".

Also, you don't have to follow any guidelines! No GPL, GFDL, LGPL or whatever license, heck you don't even need a driver's license! Do what you want, even if you don't want to do it. How's that for the FSF's "Do what you want provided you or someone else can do it again as long as they use a GPL-like license" freedom?

But it's not all about freedom, why the heck would it always be about a free (as in beer) dirty old man? It's also about the Ubuntu, which doesn't mean "Ubuntu Beats Unix, NT and Unix", it means "I am what I am because of who we all are." It's "Give," in contrast to the FSF's "Give and expect that someone to give someone else."

The FSF is about freedom, hence the name Free (as in speech) Software Foundation, and not Friends of Stallman Fanclub. They fight for freedom, even at the expense of other freedoms. "Join us and let's tell Microsoft to do it OUR way, if they refuse, we tell everyone to boycott them" is my opinion on badvista.fsf.org. I for one don't like fighting. Which makes me contradict my previous statement, which means the whole world will probably wage war against our cat and/or dog tomorrow.

And one more thing, I don't like influencing people to do things I want them to do. So, I influence you to not be influenced. Which is another contradictory statement which would probably make my head explode again.

So don't join the Not-so-free-as-in-speech Software Foundation! Don't listen to any of the crap I say! Don't value the Ubuntu Philosophy! Don't be influenced to choose, choose to be influenced!

MikeTheC
December 30th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I think I'd just rather file for a software patent on Freedom.

HungryMan
December 30th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I think I'd just rather file for a software patent on Freedom.

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=g33orp.2.38
Who knew freedom was more than a dirty old man? turns out it's also a

Natural, homeopathic, non-prescription and over the counter pharmaceutical preparations for the treatment of allergies, colds, flu (influenza), cold and flu, and eye allergies.

but then again, you did say software patent...hmmm...