PDA

View Full Version : Another Ubuntu convert

DarkReaper79
December 30th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Hi all, been lurking here for about a week, learning, breaking, and fixing my new Ubuntu install. Coming here reminded and taught me alot.

On xmas I decided to get rid of vista. So I sat there trying to decide what flavor of linux to install. I usually use mepis with kde. I tried, i dont remember what version of Ubuntu, a year or so ago, and didnt care for it. It might have been gnome that turned me off. So I thought i would give it another chance. All I can say is wow! Everything works really well on my dell E1705. Bluetooth is ok, have not really played with it too much. Im even enjoying Gnome:D I have been a linux user on and off for about 4 years, and I can honestly say I have not have a better time with it since installing Ubuntu.

I was worried at first about switching because I use some nokia programs( syncing along with others) but the more I thought about it, only one I really need, if they release a firmware update for N95-3, I can install on my Dads pc to run. Now my girlfriend has my live cd to see if she can work with Ubuntu, if she can ill convert her over too:P

I just wanted to say hi and thanks for all the things i learned so far from this site. Hopefully one day I will be able to return the favor and help someone.

ubuntu-freak
December 30th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Welcome to the club! :)

Your KDE/GNOME comment was interesting, and it reminded me of a few comments I've read over the months, where people inexplicably start digging GNOME. Funny how you start liking GNOME just as you completely dump Vista. Is it because GNOME feels so uniquely Linux-like?

MikeTheC
December 30th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Personally, I've always felt that Gnome felt much more Mac OS-like.

DarkReaper79
December 30th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I honestly dont know lol. I dont know what version i looked at before of Gnome (im sure it had a few updates since i used it last) Back then, it seemed like it didnt have enough looks to it. While kde, had alot right out of the box. I know you can change features and looks in both, but I liked it when I saw Gnome this time, something just looked right. I did change things around a bit. Maybe it was wanting to try something completely different :)

The last time I used a mac, was like late 1980s the Apple 2gs I think it was :P

ubuntu-freak
December 30th, 2008, 08:09 PM

I've never used a Mac. :)

At least they're both related to UNIX. Although, Windows apparently contains some BSD code due to the "take-and-don't-give-back" license.

Swagman
December 31st, 2008, 11:50 AM

Ironically I always felt Gnome was Amiga-like.

creek23
December 31st, 2008, 12:32 PM
can a Dual booter or Wubi user be considered as convert? If not, then I'm not -- I still use XP for my cross-platform project.

If there would be UXPI (Ubuntu XP Installer), where XP can be installed as Ubuntu package, I'll opt for that. ;)

billgoldberg
December 31st, 2008, 12:41 PM
can a Dual booter or Wubi user be considered as convert? If not, then I'm not -- I still use XP for my cross-platform project.

If there would be UXPI (Ubuntu XP Installer), where XP can be installed as Ubuntu package, I'll opt for that. ;)

Have you considered Dual Booting?

Just create two partitions on your hdd, install XP on the first and Ubuntu on the second.

When starting the pc, you can choose what one to start.

Or you could just install Ubuntu and run XP in Virtualbox if you need it.