PDA

View Full Version : Rant - Overstock.com

spdl
December 12th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Hi gang,

I have been purchasing goods via the Internet for quite some time. I usually use Amazon, NewEgg and Memory Ten. They all provide excellent service.

The other day I decided to give Overstock.com a shot, they had a product that was a little bit cheaper and they offered free delivery. So I added a few more things to the purchase.

Well, giving them a chance turned out to be a big mistake.

The website stated that my products were shipped. But only 2 out of 5 products showed up at my door in two seperate boxes. The one box contained a taped package, as if someone already opened it. When I took it out of it's packaging, the two joint pieces in it were broken off and just sitting there loosely. So I requested a return for this and a refund. And I also asked why the other products did not ship.

I received an email a day later stating that I need to give more details to my request, even though I already did. So I did give them more explicit details. So a day later, my account on their website is now updated showing that only two items shipped, one is on back order until after Christmas (it was intneded to be a Christmas gift), 2 were shipping now and one in a week. Today is Monday, I will contact Overstock later today to get an update on the refund of return shipping of the damaged product and a full refund.

That is the risk you can pay when you give someone a shot. And that is the risk you can pay when you order online and not going to a store.

What did I learn from this? I'm not ordering from Overstock again. What will I do now? Continue to order from Amazon, NewEgg and Memory Ten.

I just wanted to let you all know of the expereince with them and that it wasn't cool.

mstlyevil
December 12th, 2005, 05:06 PM
I just recently took the plunge and purchased parts for my new computer from Newegg.com. I went with Newegg because everyone I talked to on the net and all the reviews I read said nothing but good things about their prices and service. The best thing you can do when looking to someone new to buy from on the net is to get feedback from other customers on their experiences from shopping at a peticular online retailer.

spdl
December 12th, 2005, 05:29 PM
...The best thing you can do when looking to someone new to buy from on the net is to get feedback from other customers on their experiences from shopping at a peticular online retailer...

So true.

Mr. Electric Wizard
December 12th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Sorry to hear about that. I've never ordered from Overstock.com.
One thing I can say about Newegg.com(who I am fairly pleased about, btw) is that they used to be really, really good until they switched to UPS for their shipping.
Newegg.com used to use FedEx by default, and the shipping was usually free. About a month or so ago, they switched to UPS and the quality of service has declined.
I bought a Netgear WAP from them a couple of weeks ago and when I selected FedEx for shipping the charges would have eaten me up, so I went with free UPS three day. It took six days to get my stuff...
Now I got a good deal so I'm not super upset, but this never used to happen when they used to use FedEx.
:???:

MartinG
December 12th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Just to say that if you look around reviews and surveys, overstock.com are near the bottom for customer satisfaction. Try the following for a start:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/12/03/overstock_issues/

spdl
December 12th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Sorry to hear about that. I've never ordered from Overstock.com.
One thing I can say about Newegg.com(who I am fairly pleased about, btw) is that they used to be really, really good until they switched to UPS for their shipping.
Newegg.com used to use FedEx by default, and the shipping was usually free. About a month or so ago, they switched to UPS and the quality of service has declined.
I bought a Netgear WAP from them a couple of weeks ago and when I selected FedEx for shipping the charges would have eaten me up, so I went with free UPS three day. It took six days to get my stuff...
Now I got a good deal so I'm not super upset, but this never used to happen when they used to use FedEx.
:???:

Wow, i'm sorry to hear about the shipping thing with NewEgg.

I must be near a NewEgg depot. I have ordered quite a few things from them in the past 3 months, I selected 3-day UPS shipping and I have gotten them all the next day.

spdl
December 12th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Just to say that if you look around reviews and surveys, overstock.com are near the bottom for customer satisfaction. Try the following for a start:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/12/03/overstock_issues/

Thanks MartinG. Much appreciated.

jdong
December 12th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Hmm, glad I didn't choose Overstock -- I've considered using it over Amazon/Newegg on a few occasions.

However, I'm really paranoid about online shopping (perhaps more than I should be), thanks to a lot of bad experiences.

Newegg has always been WONDERFUL for me -- I ordered the parts for my last two PC's from them, and they've never failed me. Once in a while they'll pleasantly surprise me with amazingly quick shipping, but during the busier seasons it does take a while to get your stuff.

mstlyevil
December 12th, 2005, 07:20 PM
I wished I would have picked Fedx for my shipping instead of UPS for my order from Newegg. It shipped friday morning on UPS 3 day and they are not going to deliver until Wednesday according to the tracking. My advice is to pay a little more for shipping and go with Fedx.

PsychoTrauma
December 12th, 2005, 07:28 PM
I have had very good experiences with newegg, monarch computers (http://www.monarchcomputer.com/), and zipzoomfly (http://www.zipzoomfly.com/). I have had negative experiences with tigerdirect because I had to jump through a lot of hoops to return a defective product.

xequence
December 12th, 2005, 09:07 PM
However, I'm really paranoid about online shopping

Me too. There are so many things that can go wrong, and when they do, you cant go in to the store and yell at them.

majikstreet
December 12th, 2005, 10:08 PM
I've had a good experience with newegg... I know that I live near a depot/warehouse because there is one in New Jersey I think and I'm in maryland, so shipping is pretty much next day..

poptones
December 13th, 2005, 02:27 AM
I absolutely hate fedex and anyone who has one of those "exclusive" shipping deals with them. I live in a rural area and fedex NEVER delivers on time - they're always one or two or three days late because the driver doesn't feel like making the trip to my house. I've filed numerous complaints with them and never seen a penny in shipping refunds, either.

UPS comes to this area every single day and I know the driver as if he were a good friend. Promises mean nothing if you won't stand behind them, and I've never seen fedex stand behind a promised delivery date.

psoleko
December 13th, 2005, 02:56 AM
Can't say I would want to purchase anything from a company whose CEO believes he is being chased by a Sith Lord. This year I bought from Amazon, Newegg, and Thinkgeek. I don't mind shopping at smaller stores for knick knacky kinda stuff like hot sauces and teas, infact I prefer it.

mistergq
December 13th, 2005, 05:12 AM
Sorry to hear about your problems with Overstock. For what it is worth, I have ordered from Overstock in the past and have not had problems with them. This includes telephones, speaker stands, books, videos, and some other stuff. My mother moved to a new place and she wanted new shower heads (as the person who bought her condo included the walmart specials in his contract). She ordered them from overstock and they were at her new place in a couple of days.

I am not sure if this is a christmas season problem or if there service is going down hill.

I also use Newegg.com, buy.com, amazon.com, and some other websites.

Good luck.

spdl
December 13th, 2005, 06:10 AM
Sorry to hear about your problems with Overstock. For what it is worth, I have ordered from Overstock in the past and have not had problems with them. This includes telephones, speaker stands, books, videos, and some other stuff. My mother moved to a new place and she wanted new shower heads (as the person who bought her condo included the walmart specials in his contract). She ordered them from overstock and they were at her new place in a couple of days.

I am not sure if this is a christmas season problem or if there service is going down hill.

I also use Newegg.com, buy.com, amazon.com, and some other websites.

Good luck.

I sure hope it's just a Christmas season problem and that it will be resolved as soon as possible.

gus sett
March 14th, 2007, 08:58 PM
...I've had good results with buy.com, and its referrals--Amazon among them--
includes their ratings. They accept old-school payment methods too, like
back when mail order provided the best rates. J&R has stayed relevant. :biggrin:

Hi gang,

I have been purchasing goods via the Internet for quite some time. I usually use Amazon, NewEgg and Memory Ten. They all provide excellent service.

The other day I decided to give Overstock.com a shot, they had a product that was a little bit cheaper and they offered free delivery. So I added a few more things to the purchase.

Well, giving them a chance turned out to be a big mistake.

The website stated that my products were shipped. But only 2 out of 5 products showed up at my door in two seperate boxes. The one box contained a taped package, as if someone already opened it. When I took it out of it's packaging, the two joint pieces in it were broken off and just sitting there loosely. So I requested a return for this and a refund. And I also asked why the other products did not ship.

I received an email a day later stating that I need to give more details to my request, even though I already did. So I did give them more explicit details. So a day later, my account on their website is now updated showing that only two items shipped, one is on back order until after Christmas (it was intneded to be a Christmas gift), 2 were shipping now and one in a week. Today is Monday, I will contact Overstock later today to get an update on the refund of return shipping of the damaged product and a full refund.

That is the risk you can pay when you give someone a shot. And that is the risk you can pay when you order online and not going to a store.

What did I learn from this? I'm not ordering from Overstock again. What will I do now? Continue to order from Amazon, NewEgg and Memory Ten.

I just wanted to let you all know of the expereince with them and that it wasn't cool.

raidlost
March 14th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Second curtian

no luck with the needed server after so many hours
no docs to do the trick
not enough sleep

and my boss walks in with red hat enterprise, now if that is not a hint

my heart goes out to ubuntu so if any one can help soon i might be able
to restore whatever reputation there is

please check the threads i have

ps sorry for doing this..... you have the highest views

gus sett
March 15th, 2007, 01:08 AM
return visit xref mailx 2003
I may not recall much from working with sendmail years ago but
please repost if you can add to this attempt at summary so far:
:?: You are in a network where systems with other Linux variants
can send e-mail to the Windows machines, but the e-mail on
the Ubuntu box is stuck in the mail queue.
Please state how many machines are available to you for Ubuntu.

...hope you aren't groggy when you find this. If so, perhaps some
cocoa--unless diabetic or allergic--then come back to the keyboard.

OK. What are the top five issues you need addressed as of
this date? That makes it easier for readers to respond--harder
to figure out which prior postings were solved. :shock:

Reputation usually fluctuates less than confidence, so do get
back to us when you're rested/ready.

Second curtian

no luck with the needed server after so many hours
no docs to do the trick
not enough sleep

and my boss walks in with red hat enterprise, now if that is not a hint

my heart goes out to ubuntu so if any one can help soon i might be able
to restore whatever reputation there is

please check the threads i have

ps sorry for doing this..... you have the highest views

express1opin
February 22nd, 2008, 12:33 PM
wow !!!
I surprise about the overstock rants. I love overstock and buy there for many years, all the time with no problems.I also love amazon and new egg.

Joeb454
February 22nd, 2008, 01:13 PM
I don't get how this thread has been brought back from beyond twice (13th Dec 2005 - May 2007...May 2007 - Today)

Crazy...