PDA

View Full Version : One little Key

Ioky
December 30th, 2008, 01:32 PM
I have a fairly old laptop, maybe 4 or 5 years old. haha, it still function perfectly, the battery seem hold a charge perfectly, and it least 3 to 4 hours. Well, that is the story about the laptop.

The other day, I realize, there is two keys on laptop, that I never even bother to play with. One is a hardware key(I think it is use for switch Display), so I pretty much can't do anything with it unless, I go back to windows xp and have the official driver install. The other key, in the other hand actually work, it get detected by X. nice....

My only problem is, I have no idea, what should I use the key for. I have no idea what is the original purpose of this little key sense I bought the laptop used without an OS.

I am think, to set it up so it can open a bar, which I can launch software by typing, but I have no idea how to do that or any tools allow me to do that. Anyway, I just want to do something with that key, that can make it actually special. haha

Any suggestion??

BTW there is two screenshot of my laptop, see if that can help come out with any idea.

The older screenshot
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/xipho/Screenshot-13.png

The newer screenshot
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/xipho/Screenshot-16.png

gettinoriginal
December 30th, 2008, 01:46 PM
System > Pref > Keyboard Shortcuts you can enable the key to do one of the items listed :P

Ioky
December 30th, 2008, 03:00 PM
haha I know how to do it, the only problem is what should I assign the key as.

Keyper7
December 30th, 2008, 05:20 PM
You didn't say what the key is supposed to do. What's the symbol in it? :)

I had a similar doubt with the multimedia key on my Dell Vostro. By default it was set to launch Rhythmbox, but I didn't feel the need for it. I ended up assigning it to open the CD tray, because pressing the button on the tray itself bothered me: I always felt I neeed too much pressure in it and was forcing the drive every time I pressed it.

MaxIBoy
December 30th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I have a fairly old laptop, maybe 4 or 5 years old. haha, it still function perfectly, the battery seem hold a charge perfectly, and it least 3 to 4 hours. Well, that is the story about the laptop.

...And my brand new Toshiba Satellite only runs two hours on a charge. There's no justice.

Great screenshots, by the way.

Why not bind the keys to do something long and annoying. Say there's a set of five programs you need to be open if you're doing a specific task. If you're in "art mode," you might want the GIMP, a color chooser, a web browser to look for source images to modify, and a music player. Bind the key to open all of them. Or me, when I'm in "mapping mode," I want GtkRadiant, Nautilus in two different directories, a web browser to look for textures, and a media player. I have that bound to a key combo, because my keyboard is blessedly free of annoying extra buttons.

Ioky
December 30th, 2008, 09:51 PM
You didn't say what the key is supposed to do. What's the symbol in it? :)

Haha it is a very odd symbol, it doesn't really stand for anything under my knowledge. It might be one of the toshiba super key, or maybe toshiba special software key or something. Haha. I mean it can be anything really. That is why I have no idea what I should assigned it to.