PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Is this possible?

ChrisR1982
December 30th, 2008, 12:14 PM
How do I get this effect? Is it possible on Kubuntu?

http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/img/preview_screenshots/cube.png

I presume that with this added all I have to do is move my mouse to the top left of the screen and then the cube jumps up and I can then rotate it to the desktop I want... is that how it works? If so is it possible on Kubuntu? :)

TomasJancik
December 30th, 2008, 12:18 PM
it's a compiz fusion efect, once compiz installed, you can set up how you want to handle this efect...
but i'm not sure how to install compiz into KDE4 since it has its own effect built in

gettinoriginal
December 30th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Install Simple CompizConfig Setting Manager from Synaptic, then:

System > Pref > SCSM > Edges and you can set the cube to rotate at your choice of lacations.

You can also do this with CCSM by clicking on "Rotate Cube" to rotate with keyboard and mouse settings.

ChrisR1982
December 30th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Please excuse my stupidity here... I am new to Linux... Compiz is a GNOME program isnt it? But I use KDE.. are they not different? *unsure* Like I said... I am new to Linux so not sure on a lot of things... still trying to stick a weather widget on my desktop and STILL can't manage it... I keep trying to add new widgets than what are on the list and keep messin it up.. im rubbish hahaha

ChrisR1982
December 30th, 2008, 12:27 PM
People keep saying go to System/preferences.. when I click on the blue K in the bottom left hand side.. select applications... and then system.. there is no preferences link/icon/app there... I presume im lookin in the wrong place yeh?

wieman01
December 30th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Don't use Compiz with KDE4. Makes little sense. I believe KDE4 should have its own Cube plugin soon if it doesn't exist yet. I have seen videos with KDE4 and Cube somewhere on the web, so I believe you can find it.

steveneddy
December 30th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Don't use Compiz with KDE4.

Agreed - I wouldn't even use KDE.

Just my .02

wieman01
December 30th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Agreed - I wouldn't even use KDE.

Just my .02
A matter of taste as you know.

ChrisR1982
December 30th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I tried Ubuntu (As well as a few other Linux distro's) and didn't like it.. my Bluetooth worked perfectly with it however... in Kubuntu I can't get my bluetooth working.. so I always boot into windows when I want to transfer files from my mobile to my PC... just one of the MANY things I have to sort with my Linux install.

I finally got a weather widget working now! YAY!! However my "Now Playing" widget doesn't seem to be working... Artist,Title,Album,Time all remain blank.. and i'm using Amarok.. the widget itself doesn't have any options so I can't alter that... sucks!!

I see someone else has the same problem as me...
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdeplasma-addons/+bug/296345

rams123
December 30th, 2008, 01:32 PM
People keep saying go to System/preferences.. when I click on the blue K in the bottom left hand side.. select applications... and then system.. there is no preferences link/icon/app there... I presume im lookin in the wrong place yeh?

You doing this in Kubuntu (KDE), right ? The above method only works in Ubuntu (Gnome).

Got it ?

ChrisR1982
December 30th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Yeh Im using Kubuntu (KDE)... I thought GNOME and KDE were different. So how do I do it in KDE then?