PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] OpenOffice problem

ChrisR1982
December 30th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I messed up my OpenOffice and need a hand fixing it... *blushes*

I was trying to add an OpenOffice shortcut on my desktop... but I dragged it to desktop by mistake instead of the proper method.. and now OpenOffice Word Processor is not appearing in my Apps/Office folder... instead it is in my Apps/lost and found folder instead... and the icon is a big question mark. When I click on it the program still opens! How do I get it back where it SHOULD be?

Cheers in advance :)

Sealbhach
December 30th, 2008, 12:00 PM
You want to get it back on your main menu?

If you haven't already got it, install alacarte

sudo apt-get install alacarte

This will enable you to add menu items - you will find it in System/Preferences.

ChrisR1982
December 30th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Thanx for your help :)

I installed alacarte like you suggested but I can't find it in system/preferences... how do I get there? I am new to Linux.. not even been using it for a month yet.

I even tried uninstalling the full OpenOffice suite... I then reinstalled it and STILL the Word Processor is in my Lost and Found folder and not in the Office folder like it should be... I even tried using Dolphin to browse to my Lost and Found folder to remove it from there... but it would not allow me in that folder..

All I wana do is remove the Word Processor from Lost and Found and return it to the Office folder where it should be :)

darkstaar
December 30th, 2008, 12:58 PM
You can simply right-click "Applications" and click "Edit Menus" in the drop-down. Then you can "New Menu Item" what you need to add.

ChrisR1982
December 30th, 2008, 01:16 PM
When I right click Applications nothing happens *weeps*

darkstaar
December 30th, 2008, 01:38 PM
When I right click Applications nothing happens *weeps*

Ouch. Do you get this "nothing" happening when you right-click any of the launch buttons on your panels or is this issue confined to just the Menubar?

EDIT: Wait, you're running KDE. I should have read your 1st post more carefully before posting. Unfortunately I no longer have KDE installed since re-installing 8.04 yesterday so I can't help you after all. Sorry.

ChrisR1982
December 30th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Just the Menu bar....

When I right click pretty much anything a menu pops up.. but once I click on the little K at the bottom left and the Favs,Apps,Comp,Recently Used, Leave menu pops up I can't right those icons... BUT I CAN right click on the apps themselves.. like.. in my Favs I have VLC,Amarok,Firefox etc. and if I right click them I get "remove from favs,add to desktop,add to panel" but the actual "Favs,Apps,Comp,Recently Used, Leave" icons I cant right click those.

Edit:
Yeh im running KDE... damn.. oh well.. thanks anyway :)

howefield
December 30th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Can you right click on the K menu and select MENU EDITOR ?

ChrisR1982
December 30th, 2008, 05:18 PM
yeh I can see that option :)

What I do in there?

kyonides
January 31st, 2009, 05:19 AM
Once you right-clicked on K button and selected the Menu Editor option, just take a look at the tree on the left hand side of the window. There you'll be able to drag and drop the icon wherever you want to...