PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installed, Logged In, Desktop doesn't load

paxster
December 30th, 2008, 06:38 AM
I recently installed Ubuntu 8.10 on an old desktop that formerly had Xubuntu installed (I gave it some more memory and wanted the GNOME interface more)

The install completed sucessfully. I rebooted and logged in, but got dumped to a blank brown screen with a cursor that can be moved, but the desktop never loads.

Any suggestions? I'm very much a linux newbie...

Nitehunter
December 30th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Same problem here with the new release...:confused:

newagelink
February 11th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I have this problem, but with Ubuntu 7.10, after I've been using it two years. :(

Reloaded
February 25th, 2009, 05:30 AM
I have Intrepid 8.10 and am having the same, or similar problem. I was using my laptop just fine in class earlier today and I let the battery run out. When I plugged it back in, this problem blessed me with its presence *sigh*. I log in and then I am just at an orangish-peach screen. It appears that the system is in a state between the login screen and a loaded desktop. I can use the mouse just fine and CTRL ALT BCKSPC logs me back out. Fortunately for me I also had previously given the terminal a hot key, CNTRL SHIFT A. So I can bring the terminal up and even start firefox(with no internet) or any other program, but I cannot seem to get my desktop to load. Please help! Thx!