PDA

View Full Version : shrink ubuntu?

kevin11951
December 30th, 2008, 05:04 AM
the ubuntu install on my dell mini 9 has only 168 kb left, with a deafult, and a few tweaks. ooo3, netbook remix, etc...

is there any thing huge, that i dont need on a netbook, that i can get rid of?

MaxIBoy
December 30th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Remove the netbook remix GUI altogether, and go for something ligher, like wmii or awesomeWM. Wmii only takes up about 5 megs on your hard drive.

If openoffice has any extra unneeded language packs installed, get rid of those. Also, if there are any unneeded components (suppose you never use openoffice's formula editor,) you can get rid of those as well.

Go to /boot and see if there are any old kernels you can get rid of.

By default, there are a bunch of drivers you won't need. (Example, two different printer daemons, one for HP printers, one for something else.)

You can shave off a few hundred kb by compiling a custom kernel.

Use "sudo apt-get autoremove" every time you uninstall something.

doorknob60
December 30th, 2008, 06:56 AM
sudo apt-get clean

kevin11951
December 30th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Remove the netbook remix GUI altogether, and go for something ligher, like wmii or awesomeWM. Wmii only takes up about 5 megs on your hard drive.

If openoffice has any extra unneeded language packs installed, get rid of those. Also, if there are any unneeded components (suppose you never use openoffice's formula editor,) you can get rid of those as well.

Go to /boot and see if there are any old kernels you can get rid of.

By default, there are a bunch of drivers you won't need. (Example, two different printer daemons, one for HP printers, one for something else.)

You can shave off a few hundred kb by compiling a custom kernel.

Use "sudo apt-get autoremove" every time you uninstall something.

"sudo apt-get autoremove" freed up 700mb! (it was 3 kernels)

cnbiz850
December 30th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Ubuntu is realy huge in some sense.

A couple days ago, a friend asked me to load Linux on his old Pentium III 700MHz 256MB RAM Thinkpad. He has been running XP on it and he now is sick about the unreliability of XP so wants some change. As a matter of fact, XP run well on that machine besides the normal Windows problems. I use Ubuntu and thought that Ubuntu shouldn't demand more resources than XP, so I installed 8.10 on it. I had a couple breakings in the process, but finally, Ubuntu was loaded. To my supprise, when I login to it, the memory went out easily when I just did s couple simple things like opening Firefox and a terminal window. It is simply unusable!

init1
December 30th, 2008, 07:29 AM

A couple days ago, a friend asked me to load Linux on his old Pentium III 700MHz 256MB RAM Thinkpad. He has been running XP on it and he now is sick about the unreliability of XP so wants some change. As a matter of fact, XP run well on that machine besides the normal Windows problems. I use Ubuntu and thought that Ubuntu shouldn't demand more resources than XP, so I installed 8.10 on it. I had a couple breakings in the process, but finally, Ubuntu was loaded. To my supprise, when I login to it, the memory went out easily when I just did s couple simple things like opening Firefox and a terminal window. It is simply unusable!
Ubuntu on 256MB? Not surprised it failed so quickly, actually. I used to have 512MB on my laptop, but I was swapping a LOT (sometimes as much as 300MB) so I had to upgrade. Firefox takes up around 200MB RAM after a few hours of use, I've seen it as high as 270MB. You should have more success with a lighter WM or a lighter distro.

MikeTheC
December 30th, 2008, 07:43 AM
$ sudo apt-get install new-computer

oldos2er
December 30th, 2008, 07:59 AM
is there any thing huge, that i dont need on a netbook, that i can get rid of?

Install "localepurge".

MikeTheC
December 30th, 2008, 09:08 AM
@ "Shrink Ubuntu"...

YouTube: I'm Shrinking! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8RJH5KJPA4)

hessiess
December 30th, 2008, 11:07 AM

XP is like 8 years or so old, Ubuntu is at maximum 6 mounts out of date, so being newer it will obviously use more resources. Try using a lighter DE, like XFCE, DWM. Or a light distro sutch as DSL, puppy or Arch.

der_joachim
December 31st, 2008, 12:11 PM
(...) Or a light distro sutch as DSL, puppy or Arch.

+1

I love arch on my EEE900, even with Gnome + NBR.

bigbrovar
December 31st, 2008, 12:32 PM

you should have your self to blame then... when people say linux or ubuntu uses lesser resuoures then xp they dont usually mean the latest gnome complete with compiz. infact what pple mean is that ubuntu has various versions that can be used on a system with low hardware. like xubuntu which uses a xfce desktop environment. why would any one install gnome ubuntu on a P3 laptop with 256 mb and expect it to be on per with xp. it simply wont .. because ubuntu ships not just with the core OS but with other stuffs too like office suits, graphic ultilitie and many other software which dont ship with a default xp. not to talk of other stuffs under the hood which are meant to enhance auto detection. if you are going to use ubuntu on a low hardware then u can install xubuntu and load lxde desktop manager on it. i have tried it and its freaking awesome. beside u dont have to use firefox. u can use seamonkey. or midori which are all lite browsers that work fine. i tried cruchbang linux an ubuntu based distro that uses openbox as a DE and it was freaking fast. on a 256mb desktop htop showed that it uses just 88mb or ram on idle mode. i loaded lxde on it and it was even cooler. so please do your research before making blunders. and blaming linux for your loss

cnbiz850
January 3rd, 2009, 04:15 AM
Blaming myself is easy to do, but I don't think it is easy for every new comer trying Ubuntu to blame themselves. To them, both XP and Ubuntu are OS's running on PC's. Xp runs well on both a lowly configured machine as well as a highly configured one. Ubuntu is the most popular Linux distro, so it is expected to be at least the same if not better than XP. IE has been highly bashed, but the result at the end is that it runs powerfully on both low and high -end machines. Firefox has been highly hyped, but the end result is that it fails on low-end machines. Some said that it easily takes up 200MB ram -- what is going on?

Doesn't everyone see this picture? Many new triers would end up saying "Linux sucks".

gletob
January 3rd, 2009, 05:54 AM
Blaming myself is easy to do, but I don't think it is easy for every new comer trying Ubuntu to blame themselves. To them, both XP and Ubuntu are OS's running on PC's. Xp runs well on both a lowly configured machine as well as a highly configured one. Ubuntu is the most popular Linux distro, so it is expected to be at least the same if not better than XP. IE has been highly bashed, but the result at the end is that it runs powerfully on both low and high -end machines. Firefox has been highly hyped, but the end result is that it fails on low-end machines. Some said that it easily takes up 200MB ram -- what is going on?

Doesn't everyone see this picture? Many new triers would end up saying "Linux sucks".

Have you seen IE 7 on an older machine?

gn2
January 3rd, 2009, 01:06 PM

Couple of points, on that hardware there's no way that a standard Ubuntu 8.10 will run well.
But with the right Linux distro correctly installed and configured, (e.g. Arch, Debian Xfce, OzOS, Elive, Zenwalk) it will fly.

Comparing Ubuntu 8.10 with Xp is not a good comparison, try comparing it with Vista and see how you get on installing that on your friend's machine.