PDA

View Full Version : Windows vs Mac vs Linux

fuzzylunkinz
December 30th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Hi,

I just ran into some videos on YouTube made by Novell. I don't own any of the rights to, well, any of it.

Video 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRPEIo0LLHQ&feature=related)
Video 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDgEdcFTquM&feature=related)
Video 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAc2oSgCZZI&feature=related)

Enjoy!
Fuzz

hotweiss
December 30th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Very nice, even more witty than the Mac commercials...

Grant A.
December 30th, 2008, 02:42 AM
I ran into these a while ago.

Btw, Novell actually made these? I thought that they were made by fans.

fuzzylunkinz
December 30th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Btw, Novell actually made these? I thought that they were made by fans.

I'm just assuming so because of the pretty Novell logo at the end of each one.

EnGorDiaz
December 30th, 2008, 03:23 AM
Hi,

I just ran into some videos on YouTube made by Novell. I don't own any of the rights to, well, any of it.

Video 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRPEIo0LLHQ&feature=related)
Video 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDgEdcFTquM&feature=related)
Video 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAc2oSgCZZI&feature=related)

Enjoy!
Fuzz

the 3rd one is hilarious

balaknair
December 30th, 2008, 03:24 AM
Yep. Actually done by a few of Novell's folks for Novell's Brainshare conference 2007

You can read more about it at
http://reverendted.wordpress.com/2007/03/19/mac-vs-pc-how-would-linux-fit/

mikewhatever
December 30th, 2008, 03:24 AM
Nice indeed. Is that brown leather jacket, the latest trend, Ubuntu or what?:guitar:

Twitch6000
December 30th, 2008, 04:10 AM
Old.... Old... Old... Still worth watching though :).

zim2dive
December 30th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Do the videos exhibit the appropriate jerkiness to represent the miserable Adobe Flash performance in Linux vs the other OSes ? :)

MikeTheC
December 30th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Proving once again that Linux is sexy...

lykwydchykyn
December 30th, 2008, 05:14 AM
I would have preferred it if they'd just made a CGI penguin waddle in and go Bruce Lee on those two obnoxious guys. Someone needs to do that. Correction, someone needed to do that years ago before spoofing "i'm a mac" commercials became cliche.

mikewhatever
December 30th, 2008, 05:30 AM
Do the videos exhibit the appropriate jerkiness to represent the miserable Adobe Flash performance in Linux vs the other OSes ? :)

And her comes the master of positive thinking.):P I guess there would be some jerkiness if YOU watch it on youtube. Then, again, what does flash have to do with Linux?

zim2dive
December 30th, 2008, 02:38 PM
And her comes the master of positive thinking.):P I guess there would be some jerkiness if YOU watch it on youtube. Then, again, what does flash have to do with Linux?

It has to do with Flash (for better or worse) being a major part of the user experience today in a mainstream Windows/Mac replacement OS (if you just need a apache/mailserver box, I'm pretty sure most of what was needed was here 5-10 years ago).. and unfortunately Flash performance under Linux (for me and many other from what I've read) is performing worse than it is on a 6-year old machine I have (running one of said other OSes). As a daily user of *nix for 15+ years at work, who very much wanted to make the transition at home, it has been a shock to see such a large disparity on the same HW depending changing only the OS. I have not given up yet, but am close.

mikewhatever
December 30th, 2008, 04:57 PM
You may be unhappy with flash performance on Linux, but why is your frustration not pointed towards Adobe? It's their product, closed source, and Linux devs can't do much about improving it.
Now, the videos exhibited the three OSs, Windows vs MAC vs Linux, and not Flash on Windows, MAC and Linux. We may have to agree to disagree here, but I still can't see what flash has to do with Linux.

Sealbhach
December 30th, 2008, 05:02 PM
In all of those commercials I always end up hating the smug Mac guy. In real life I know I'd get along much better with the Windows guy.

zim2dive
December 30th, 2008, 08:44 PM
You may be unhappy with flash performance on Linux, but why is your frustration not pointed towards Adobe? It's their product, closed source, and Linux devs can't do much about improving it.
Now, the videos exhibited the three OSs, Windows vs MAC vs Linux, and not Flash on Windows, MAC and Linux. We may have to agree to disagree here, but I still can't see what flash has to do with Linux.

You are wrong that it is an Adobe-only problem.. it looks like the nVidia drivers are the deciding culprit, 173 seems to work very well, 177 is what Intrepid had listed as the recommended driver tho, and 180 is as broken as 177, for the nVidia 8200 chipset.

So hey, I've spent 20-30 hours tracking down something that would have worked out of the box on either mainstream OS... forgive me if its been a bitter experience. I'm seeing very little for linux to be smug about so far. The theory of linux is fantastic, so far the experience of it has not been.

RiceMonster
December 30th, 2008, 08:54 PM
The theory of linux is fantastic, so far the experience of it has not been.

Then don't use it.

sydbat
December 30th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Don't feed the troll.

Back on topic - pretty good vids...maybe they should be on TV...

zim2dive
December 30th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Don't feed the troll.

Back on topic - pretty good vids...maybe they should be on TV...

No troll.. an honest to goodness intent on switcher.. 15 years of unix/Solaris at work. As I said the reality has fallen short of the hope as I've spent the last month trying to get the simplest of things to work (video, audio, web browsing) at acceptable levels on a very current machine.

You can choose to ignore that if you'd like, but you do linux no good by doing so. I'm the geek all my friends come to for gadget advice, and so far I have no good stories to tell.

You make a (common) mistake in taking it personally when someone says "Linux isn't ready" (as the commercial claims it is).. I wish it was.. I'm simply saying from what I see, its not (despite how much closer it may than it used to be). I do "wish it was ready" and fully thought/hoped that I had sat on the sidelines long enough that it was. But as I search for the answers to the rather basic issues I am seeing (and find many others facing the very same issues), I can see that without carefully picked HW, its a journey filled with many potential potholes that would not be found running other OSes.

JuL.LeVi
December 30th, 2008, 10:14 PM
that's cool ^^
I also watched the southpark version :X

mikewhatever
December 31st, 2008, 06:10 AM
You are wrong that it is an Adobe-only problem.. it looks like the nVidia drivers are the deciding culprit, 173 seems to work very well, 177 is what Intrepid had listed as the recommended driver tho, and 180 is as broken as 177, for the nVidia 8200 chipset.

So hey, I've spent 20-30 hours tracking down something that would have worked out of the box on either mainstream OS... forgive me if its been a bitter experience. I'm seeing very little for linux to be smug about so far. The theory of linux is fantastic, so far the experience of it has not been.

Are you saying Adobe and Nvidia are to blame for inferior flash experience on Linux? May I point out that none of these two are maintained and developed by Linux people. You seem to believe Linux distros are responsible for all those closed source third party components, which is obviously not the case. I would have thought after 15 year of experience, you shouldn't need that explained. 173 nvidia driver is available for Intrepid, why do you insist on using a different one?
I think you apply false measurements to Linux. Here is a friendly advice, use a 'main stream' OS and forget about it.

decoherence
December 31st, 2008, 07:27 AM
zim2dive and mikewhatever, you guys oughta agree on what you mean by 'linux' before you go any further.

mikewhatever
December 31st, 2008, 08:06 AM
zim2dive and mikewhatever, you guys oughta agree on what you mean by 'linux' before you go any further.

Do you mean we have to agree on what Linux is not? :D

Kopachris
December 31st, 2008, 08:20 AM
Novell should air those ads. :) Someone should tell them that they should air those ads. Those totally pwn'd Microsoft's "I'm a PC, and I'm not alone" ads. :lolflag: