PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] noob gonna install Linux need help

Duero
December 30th, 2008, 12:16 AM
I plan to install Linux on my computer but I need to as question before I do it.

1. Can I install Linux so I when i start the computer I can chose Windows or Linux ?? and how do I do that ?

2. because I have NTFS I need Wubi but how does Wubi work ? do I need to make a CD or install Ubuntu fist and then Wubi on it ??

3.because im using a D-Link airplus G DWL-G122 USB adapter to get wireless internet I need help to get Drivers for it on Linux because I Windows finds it self but im not sure Linux does and I tryed google drivers but I canīt find any what I know hope some of u can help.

and last question what MP3 player and video player shall I install and what MSN program ?

howefield
December 30th, 2008, 12:25 AM
1. The Ubuntu install will take care of the bootloader, it will install grub which will pick up your windows system and give you the option at boot to load the operating system you are going to use.

2. If you are using Wubi, download the ubuntu iso and burn it to a CD, then pop it into your computer with windows running, you'll get a window from which you can install via Wubi.

3. Looks like you'll need to use ndiswrapper for that card to get it up and running. So yes, it will work.

bgerlich
December 30th, 2008, 12:28 AM
1. If you plan to keep windows, setup will create the boot menu for you.

2. You don't need WUBI, if I were you I would free up some space on one of the NTFS partitions. The Ubuntu setup will automagically resize the partition and make room for itself. Remember to check the disks for errors and defragment them to ensure smooth and fast setup.

3. Here are instructions on how to get your USB wifi working in ubuntu:https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NdisWrapper_DWL-G122

You will have a MP3 and movie player installed in your system. After installation you can install/uninstall a lot of other players using Add/Remove programs - it will provide you with a handy list of available options and download them from official site automatically. Personally I use Rhythmbox for music and VLC for movies.

Duero
December 30th, 2008, 12:40 AM
1. If you plan to keep windows, setup will create the boot menu for you.

2. You don't need WUBI, if I were you I would free up some space on one of the NTFS partitions. The Ubuntu setup will automagically resize the partition and make room for itself. Remember to check the disks for errors and defragment them to ensure smooth and fast setup.

3. Here are instructions on how to get your USB wifi working in ubuntu:https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NdisWrapper_DWL-G122

You will have a MP3 and movie player installed in your system. After installation you can install/uninstall a lot of other players using Add/Remove programs - it will provide you with a handy list of available options and download them from official site automatically. Personally I use Rhythmbox for music and VLC for movies.

is 17 GB enough

I have a original Ubuntu DVD Ordered and got free.

and thanks for the help.

bgerlich
December 30th, 2008, 01:11 AM
If you don't plan to store movies or other big files like cd/dvd images on your Ubuntu partition it will be more than enough.

emshains
December 30th, 2008, 01:13 AM
The size of the partition depends on the use of the os on the partition.

17 gigs for me is about a 1/2 to fill up.

Duero
December 30th, 2008, 01:16 AM
If you don't plan to store movies or other big files like cd/dvd images on your Ubuntu partition it will be more than enough.

my C: is total of 30 and it 17 left

so I hope I can use my 17GB on C for linux

and then I have D:111GB
and E: 120gb

bgerlich
December 30th, 2008, 01:53 AM
It should suffice. Remember to leave some free space on your windows partition

Duero
December 30th, 2008, 05:19 AM
okey I think I have a new problem the CD I have is Ubuntu for Intel x86 but I have AMD 32 or 64 I think and I have no empty CDīs can I use a usb device to fix that or must i have a cd??

bgerlich
December 30th, 2008, 05:25 AM
No problem - the architecture will work on your processor. You will only benefit from the 64-bit architecture if you have more than 3 or 4 GB of ram.

pirattrev
December 30th, 2008, 05:27 AM
No problem - the architecture will work on your processor. You will only benefit from the 64-bit architecture if you have more than 3 or 4 GB of ram.

really? how so?

Duero
December 30th, 2008, 05:31 AM
im using my old computer for linux an it is a amd 1.6ghz and 1gb ram

Nathan Sweeney
December 30th, 2008, 05:33 AM
really? how so?

Are you asking how it will work with that architecture or how do you benefit from 64 bit?

bgerlich
December 30th, 2008, 05:38 AM
64 bit architecture allows you to map more than 4 GB of physical memory in your computer (RAM + Video RAM + ?) so you will only benefit when you have , lets say 4 GB RAM and 512 mb graphics card. There are some other cases like BIOS reserving address space for no reason, but other than that you'll need more than 4GB of physical ram to see any difference.

The cd you have will be fine for your system.

Duero
December 30th, 2008, 05:49 AM
64 bit architecture allows you to map more than 4 GB of physical memory in your computer (RAM + Video RAM + ?) so you will only benefit when you have , lets say 4 GB RAM and 512 mb graphics card. There are some other cases like BIOS reserving address space for no reason, but other than that you'll need more than 4GB of physical ram to see any difference.

The cd you have will be fine for your system.

Thank u because I wanted to use to old crappy computer to learn using Linux then install it on my Better computer.