PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Partitioning for upgrade (+4 partitions?)

sexyclient
December 29th, 2008, 11:27 PM
I'm having some problems trying to partition my HD properly so that I can 1)upgrade without any major headaches and 2)streamline things most efficiently. Here's my setup:

(gotten from gparted)
/dev/sda1 ntfs - 6.01 GB - windows backup partition (for rebooting)
/dev/sda2 ntfs - 17 GB - windows partition ("C:\" drive, and it has boot flag)
--unallocated - 147.91 GB--
/dev/sda3 - 2.03 GB - linux swap (ext3?)
/dev/sda4 ext3 - 16.98 GB - Ubuntu 8.04 Partition

I just resized my windows ntfs partition because I thought I could just make another partition (ntfs or ext3, I haven't decided which yet) to store data, but that was before I knew you couldn't have more than 4 main partitions on a drive. I searched and read there was a way around this (I forgot, but it was something along the lines of making a "sub-partition" or something of that nature) but I couldn't find out how to do this. I want to keep my home drive, update to the latest Ubuntu, and then use the new partition as my home directory - or something like that. Can someone give me a helping hand?

Partyboi2
December 29th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Use gparted and delete your /swap partition and then create a extended partition using the unallocated space, then re-create your swap partition under the extended partition. Then you can create another partition or partitions under the extended partition for storage or for what ever.

sexyclient
December 30th, 2008, 03:39 AM
You rock so hard. Thanks!
Is there a way to get ubuntu to display the mounted partition's name? Other than having it display as "<filesize> GB Media"? I used a gui tool (sorry, I forgot the name) to mount it automatically on startup as /media/data/ , but ubuntu still displays it by it's filesize. Can I change this behavior?

Partyboi2
December 30th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Use gparted and right click on the partition you want to change name and select "Label" then change it to what ever you like. Then apply.

sexyclient
December 30th, 2008, 05:02 AM
I don't have that option when I right-click on it. I have the following choices:
*GREYED*(New)
-Delete
-Resize/Move
-Copy
*Greyed*(Paste)
-Format to > blah blah
-Mount on > /media/data
-Manage Flags
-Check
-Information

I'm using 8.04, could it be that I need a newer version of GParted? Or maybe I'm just missing something completely obvious...

Partyboi2
December 30th, 2008, 05:26 AM
You could try doing it through the terminal
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RenameUSBDrive
Or you can try downloading gparted (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php) from there site

sexyclient
December 30th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Sweet, I'm going to get GParted from the site - thanks again for all your help!