PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] How do you go back to a previous version?

Sour Mash
December 29th, 2008, 11:15 PM
IF I can't fix my upgrade (separate thread) is there a way to roll back to the old version? I upgraded from 8.04.1 to 8.10.

Thanks

Therion
December 29th, 2008, 11:16 PM
That would require a fresh install.

Sour Mash
December 29th, 2008, 11:21 PM
](*,) What a PITA, not the end of the world but you know what I mean :confused:

darkstaar
December 29th, 2008, 11:29 PM
If you have your /home on a separate partition, it's easy and painless. I just completed such an operation on my own system this morning.

Sour Mash
December 29th, 2008, 11:38 PM
as I don't know what /home is then I guess I don't :-)

I just did a full install and followed the defaults (I'm very new to Linux)

darkstaar
December 30th, 2008, 12:06 AM
/home is where your users' data and settings are stored. It's somewhat analogous to the "My Documents" folder in Windows XP (but not exactly).

For example, if your username on your system is sourmash then your data would reside in /home/sourmash .

As your /home directory is likely on your main (only) linux partition and you don't have a lot of saved files, it might be easiest to simply back up those files that are important to you onto some external media and do a normal reinstallation of 8.04. Then you can restore your data once your system is up and running again under 8.04.

Sour Mash
December 30th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Thanks for that - can you point me at a work through to set up /home in the way you suggest please. I can then reinstall and "protect" myself for the next crash :-)

There's nothing of any consequence on this machine, it was a Christmas present for my daughter but it's turned into a project!

Partyboi2
December 30th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Here is a howto move your /home folder to its own partition.
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

As mentioned you can always do a backup of your files then do a clean install and create a new /home partition when installing.

Bill Roberts
May 7th, 2009, 05:45 AM
If you have your /home on a separate partition, it's easy and painless. I just completed such an operation on my own system this morning.

What are the steps necessary?

Here are my partitions:
/dev/md0 /boot
/dev/md1 swap
/dev/md2 /
/dev/md3 /usr
/dev/md4 /var
/dev/md5 /tmp
/dev/md6 /home

They are all software RAID