PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Startup Noise at Acer Aspire 4530 after install & upgrade Ubuntu 8.10

firstace
December 29th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Good day,

My bf bought an Aspire 4530 last month, he installed Ubuntu 8.10 and everything seems running good. The only problem is a random noise like "didididi......" will occur during startup of Ubuntu and we must turn off the laptop by press & hold the button. We though it was keyboard (hardware) problem until I bought an exactly same model with windows vista license.

I just installed Ubuntu 8.10 and everything running very well but I am facing same problem during startup of Ubuntu. It is a random problem. I need to turn off the laptop by forcing method. The laptop seems no problem with every windows startup but it randomly occur noise like "didididi......" with Ubuntu 8.10 startup.

I am supporter of Ubuntu therefore I am not intend to give up to continue use it.

Any of u facing same problem with me? I am wondering why same problem found at two of my Acer Aspire 4530.

Hopefully there r some solutions for me. Thank u...

FAMUgolfer
January 4th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I also have an Acer 4530-5889, and yeah I get that same freakish sound like the computer is about to blow up or something. I only notice it when there is a major update, such as a kernel update, in which I restart my laptop only to be introduced to the beeping from hell which indicates a kernel panic. But after a hard shutdown I don't hear that sound anymore. Sorry I don't have any resolution. I'm guessing it may have to do with your dual boot with Windows since I pretty much have the same setup as yours. Goodluck!

l_synapse_l
January 7th, 2009, 08:21 AM
I have the Acer 4530 as well but there is no sound coming from my laptop. I boot with the kernel parameter "pci=nomsi" don't know whether it is relevant but you could give it a shot.

I initially installed Ubuntu 8.10 with "acpi=off","pci=nomsi" and "pnpbios=off" as I was getting a few kernel panics. After that the install went smooth.