PDA

View Full Version : Review of Ubuntu 8.10 install on a HP pavilion DV-4000 Laptop

I-75
December 29th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Ubuntu 8.10 install on a HP pavilion DV-4000 laptop.

All I can say it was a piece of cake, it installed easy with no problems. Ubuntu 8.10 detected the Broadcom BC43 wireless card. It prompted for a install, one click and it was installed.

Then I added wifi radar in the add/remove so I could see the wireless networks around me. I found my network and I clicked it and added the key for my encrypted wireless and I had wireless.

This was the easiest laptop install yet. I didn't need mad wifi or anything else....it just worked. I had Windows XP on it, but I swapped out hard drives.

I had one of those small external hard drives lying around that happened to have a PATA laptop hard drive inside. So I took the external hard drive case apart.

Then I took out the hard drive that had Windows XP on it, then put it aside and then installed the hard drive from the external HD and put that in and then installed Ubuntu 8.10 on the computer.

If anyone runs across one of these laptops, these are super easy to remove the hard drive or upgrade the RAM. The laptop is a very good performer to begin with and will make a great candidate for Ubuntu 8.10.

These laptops are about three to four years old. It takes two PC 4200 DDR2 SODIMM RAM chips and can handle up to 2 GB RAM max. It also has CD and DVD capability.

If I need Windows XP for some odd reason on this laptop, no problem...just swap out the hard drive...it takes all of 2 minutes...

graabein
December 31st, 2008, 05:21 PM
Good stuff. It's nice to see laptop and wireless support keeps improving for GNU/Linux and Ubuntu.