PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] PS3 desktop environment?

Twilightzero
December 29th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Ok this may be a n00bish question and I'm sure someone's going to point me to the exact location I've missed the answer. That being said...

I'm attempting to install Ubuntu 8.10 on my PS3 and the only options offered are the server or alternate installers which give terminal-only installs, no desktop environment. I keep seeing hints around the web that it's quite possible to get a regular desktop on a PS3 using Ubuntu but nowhere can I find out HOW.

So...how's it done?

And yes, I already know about Yellow Dog. I'd prefer to use Ubuntu for the ease of use and familiarity (I have it on 1 other machine) but I'll go to it if I need to.

Thanks ahead of time!

P.S. Once Ubuntu is installed, anybody know the boot option to go back to the PS3 OS?

xjcannonx
December 29th, 2008, 06:58 PM
well i still have 7.10 on my ps3 but to answer your p.s. the command to boot back to game os is
boot-game-os
or you can hold down the power button till it does its beeps twice(~10 seconds)

Twilightzero
December 29th, 2008, 08:19 PM
well i still have 7.10 on my ps3 but to answer your p.s. the command to boot back to game os is
boot-game-os
or you can hold down the power button till it does its beeps twice(~10 seconds)

The boot-game-os command doesn't work on the 8.10. Returns some error that I can't remember off the top of my head. And I really don't like doing the hold down the power button method, then I have to go reset all my video settings on the PS3 OS :(

Does your 7.10 come with full desktop environment?

Twilightzero
December 29th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Nevermind, sort of answered my own question from checking the release notes:

Installation

Only the 'alternate' installation disk will be available for installing Intrepid. The graphical 'desktop' flavour is broken and there was insufficient time to fix it before release.

Instructions on how to install Ubuntu on the PS3 are available here:

http://psubuntu.com/wiki/InstallationInstructions/

I think I'm gonna go with Yellow Dog instead. I'm looking to make this my primary PC as my old one's dying and I don't have the $$ to rebuild right now, so I want hassle-free install.

snowstorm167
February 8th, 2009, 02:40 AM
holding down the power button doesn't load the game os at all it always goes to the linux which is messed up

snowstorm167
February 8th, 2009, 06:16 AM
all you need to type in kboot to get back to the ps3 os is game