PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless Not Working

joshh88
December 29th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I did a complete install of Ubuntu last night on my laptop, after many many days of complications with windows. I finally decided that Windows was out no matter what. Its Ubuntu 7.10 I believe(I'm at work so I can't tell you exactly) It was installed using a livecd(had it for years 2 maybe). I'm using a Dell M1330 with the Wireless N card. My wireless router is a Netgear G provided by Comcast(broadband). I have searched this problem but every post I have seen is related to hardware. I don't believe hardware is the problem, I am able to see the wireless networks, but when I put the secure key to connect it processes processes then won't connect. I am able to connect via ethernet. Yes I know its a long thread for a first, but I read the beginners guide on how to start a thread for help.:)

razy60
December 29th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Hi mate, If you are using 7.10 then you need to find and download the latest version of Ubuntu which is 8.10, (you can try 8.04 as its the most stable current version).
As for wireless both the latest versions will be loads better for connections, At the moment Ubuntu has had a few problems with wireless N, so i would recommend if possible to only make use of G, also as you only have a G router, your wireless N card will not work correctly with it, so it is more likely to be hardware related, Which can cause issues with the software.

Hope this is of some help,( get 8.04 or 8.10 you wont regret it)

Raz

joshh88
December 29th, 2008, 05:33 PM
It worked previously with Vista. The card is N but backwards compatable with b and g. I have an N router, but when I had Windows installed I could never connect

ieee488
December 29th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Upgrade to at least 8.04. Depending on the chipset, upgrading to 8.10 may or may not make it easier to connect.

joshh88
December 29th, 2008, 05:42 PM
As soon as I get off work I plan on upgrading to the latest version. Probably 8.10. I just did it last night so I'm not sure.

razy60
December 29th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I assumed your router was G as you called it a netgear g, my main points still hold though, Wireless N is still a bit flakey, you definitely need a more up to date version of Ubuntu, once you have that installed you should have more success. and if possible only use wireless G,

Raz

ieee488
December 29th, 2008, 05:44 PM
When I wrote upgrade, I meant a clean install. I always prefer doing that.

Good luck.

joshh88
December 29th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Unless the website offers a way to do a clean install I'll have to do an upgrade. The card doesn't give me a choice of which to use. It automaticlly adapts to whatever signal it receives, which at this point is G. I'm really hoping I get this working, I'm really looking forward to get to successfully use Linux without having to revert back to Windows.

joshh88
December 29th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I went home on lunch to check the computer, and now its not even letting me see what networks are available. So I just plugged it into the router via ethernet and started the install for 8.04; 8.10 wasn't available on my update manager.

razy60
December 29th, 2008, 11:51 PM
bit late now but it would have been better to do a clean install. download the cd then burn it and install, upgrades can be a bit hit and miss.

Raz

joshh88
December 30th, 2008, 12:51 AM
I tried to install a new driver but I can't figure out how to do it. It asks me to choose a program but theres nothing there. Then I downloaded ndiswrapper and I can't figure out how to use it. So I have both the windows and the linus version of the driver

joshh88
December 30th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Its fixed!!! I don't know how it happened. A friend of mine came over did a few things in Terminal and then BAM wirelessly connected and I don't have to repeatedly connect after shutting down it saved it. I'm happy now. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and help.