PDA

View Full Version : How long until Steam on Linux?

linuxguymarshall
December 29th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Just got my net netbook for christmas pre-loaded with WinBlows XP. I want to put 8.04 on it (8.10 has given me more than my fair share of troubles) but the only thing holding me back is Steam.

So I wonder. When do you think native Steam clients will be avalible. I don't think that ALL steam games will be avalible but I want Source and Counter Strike 1.6 as I play those the most (My other steam games would be nice though). So, how long?

Delever
December 29th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Just got my net netbook for christmas pre-loaded with WinBlows XP. I want to put 8.04 on it (8.10 has given me more than my fair share of troubles) but the only thing holding me back is Steam.

So I wonder. When do you think native Steam clients will be avalible. I don't think that ALL steam games will be avalible but I want Source and Counter Strike 1.6 as I play those the most (My other steam games would be nice though). So, how long?

They probably would say "When it is done"... :)

notwen
December 29th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Has Valve even confirmed this yet or are the few libraries found w/ the Left 4 Dead demo that Phoronix stumbled upon the only hint of the possibility that it may even occur.

If I were you I'd simply dual-boot and don't hold your breath. =]

linuxguymarshall
December 29th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Not enough hard drive space for 4 partitions (I already have 2 then that would add swap and the system). And I dont know if they have officially confirmed it but I think with all the hype they have received they will probably push it out the door.

And as for 'when it's done' that what not their philosophy for HL:2 :)

Skripka
December 29th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Not enough hard drive space for 4 partitions (I already have 2 then that would add swap and the system). And I dont know if they have officially confirmed it but I think with all the hype they have received they will probably push it out the door.

1stly, They haven't even confessed to officially porting Steam to Linux yet.

2ndly, bearing 1stly in mind-predicting is useless

3rdly, HDD space is cheap-get another HDD ;)

Polygon
December 29th, 2008, 04:33 PM
yeah, they have not even offically stated they are making a steam client at the moment. Even when they do, if the games are to be even ported, that will take even longer.

If you want to play games, dual booting windows is the only proper solution, sadly

mrgnash
December 29th, 2008, 05:39 PM
It's not coming.

Kernel Sanders
December 29th, 2008, 05:40 PM

"When hell freezes over" is probably about right.....

notwen
December 29th, 2008, 05:46 PM

Make enough room for 4 partitions, an extended partition should be sufficient. I've got my Dell Mini Inspiron 9 dual-booting XP and Ubuntu all on a 16GB SSD. Keeping all of my Linux partitions within a extended partition eliminates the partition limit essentially. Hope this helps. =]

k@e
December 29th, 2008, 06:04 PM

Even if Steam and games were soon to be released for Linux (which I think is not happening), I highly doubt you will be able to play on your netbook with an acceptable framerate. Most netbooks just don't have the necessary GPU power to play graphic-intense games on it.

So if there really is nothing else to force you on Windows, go on installing Ubuntu on it. :)

Rocket2DMn
December 29th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Let's be honest... not anytime soon! Even if a Steam client is released, most games will not have linux binaries, esp. cs1.6, and probably not even source. I think for quite some time after a client is released, you will really only be able to get native linux games with it. It would be cool if it would at least try to run windows executables under wine, but don't hold your breath.

With that said, it would still be nice if we can get a native steam client to spare some system resources and hopefully help games get a foothold in linux.

init1
December 29th, 2008, 09:32 PM
"When hell freezes over" is probably about right.....
Not yet then
http://www.hashellfrozenover.com/

ghindo
December 29th, 2008, 11:06 PM
There will never be a native Steam client for Linux. I'd love to be proven wrong, but it just isn't going to happen.

emshains
December 30th, 2008, 01:05 AM
I don't think it is about Steam, but about source apps being ported, with the tricky directx-to-open-source things. But, since most of the source games have been ported to PS3, which has both a different kernel and a different arch and only supports openGL, if there are enough linux enthusiasts whining about how much they want their games, vAlve just won't have anything other to do than just PORT IT TO LINUX.

emshains
December 30th, 2008, 01:08 AM
There will never be a native Steam client for Linux. I'd love to be proven wrong, but it just isn't going to happen.

When you are involved in an OS, that has a company supporting(read-writing) it, you have no other chance than to be optimistic, yes, just as optimistic as canonical is. So be an OPTIMIST or else.......... :D

forrestcupp
December 30th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Even if Steam and games were soon to be released for Linux (which I think is not happening), I highly doubt you will be able to play on your netbook with an acceptable framerate. Most netbooks just don't have the necessary GPU power to play graphic-intense games on it.
+1

There's no way a netbook could play that kind of game.

emshains
December 30th, 2008, 04:57 PM
+1

There's no way a netbook could play that kind of game.

My old 1.6ghz sempron gets 25+ fps on source games.

forrestcupp
December 30th, 2008, 08:17 PM
My old 1.6ghz sempron gets 25+ fps on source games.

Sure, but what kind of GPU do you have in it?

ELD
December 30th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Why should we want it on Linux, we should want our own client like it but with games for us from companies who give a crap about Linux.

el_ricardo
December 30th, 2008, 10:22 PM
if they are developing a client, i think it might be just that - a client.

In other words perhaps they are developing the linux binaries for a launcher and installer that basically runs the games through wine or similar???

just a thought, because I've installed CS1.6, CS:S, hl2, hl2 deathmatch, and DoD with no problems at all, it's not like it's impossible to run steam games on linux anyway!

forrestcupp
December 31st, 2008, 12:03 AM
Why should we want it on Linux, we should want our own client like it but with games for us from companies who give a crap about Linux.

It's not that easy for somebody to just whip together a line of games specifically for Linux that are HL2 caliber. Not only that, even if a company did, that doesn't change the fact that people like Steam games and would like to play them. I like my mom's meatloaf, but that doesn't mean that every meatloaf that anyone throws together made specially for me would hit the spot.

emshains
December 31st, 2008, 12:18 AM
Sure, but what kind of GPU do you have in it?

Emmm, got me................... :(

I have a 7300GT.

ELD
January 2nd, 2009, 03:51 PM
It's not that easy for somebody to just whip together a line of games specifically for Linux that are HL2 caliber. Not only that, even if a company did, that doesn't change the fact that people like Steam games and would like to play them. I like my mom's meatloaf, but that doesn't mean that every meatloaf that anyone throws together made specially for me would hit the spot.

And what about all the people who don't care about HL2, including me. It hasn't got the best graphics and many games have better gameplay and storys which are older.

It would be pretty easy to make a steam like client, and i'm sure many linux game developers wouldn't mind the extra exposure in one.

zmjjmz
January 2nd, 2009, 04:32 PM
Wait, you're gaming on your netbook?

damis648
January 2nd, 2009, 04:34 PM

Wait, you're gaming on your netbook?
Steam on a netbook? :confused:

Polygon
January 2nd, 2009, 04:49 PM
And what about all the people who don't care about HL2, including me. It hasn't got the best graphics and many games have better gameplay and storys which are older.

It would be pretty easy to make a steam like client, and i'm sure many linux game developers wouldn't mind the extra exposure in one.

the game IS 4 years old, and not only hl2, but all the episodes, l4d, team fortress 2, all source games in general, counter strike source and cs 1.6 which ARE WITHOUT A DOUBT the most played multiplayer game ever. de_dust2 accounts for more then like half (or some huge number) of all online fps multiplayer time

also, l4d and tf2 are just great fun.

but if valve ported steam over to linux, thats a huge company. others would certainly follow.

Rocket2DMn
January 2nd, 2009, 05:10 PM
cs1.6! I prefer the map de_rats (custom). Can't stand dust2.

ithanium
January 2nd, 2009, 05:50 PM
just install ubuntu using wubi (on the same partition) and dual-boot

forrestcupp
January 2nd, 2009, 06:17 PM

Then Steam is not for you. But that doesn't mean it's not for anyone. There are a lot of people who do like those games. That's why they're so popular.

But my point is that it's not easy for people to just come up with a line of great quality games with good story lines, especially when you're talking about doing all that work for a platform that is virtually non-existent in the gaming market share. Just to prove my point, how many free single player campaign mode FPS can you list that are native to Linux? And don't try to compare the quality of Sauerbraten to the quality of HL2. The games we have are all the same cookie cutter multi-player game with a different name and a different backdrop.

I wish some company would do what you're talking about, but that would take a lot of work with little capital gain on their part. I'm not getting my hopes up.

cmat
January 2nd, 2009, 09:21 PM
It really makes no sense to release a Linux version without having a Mac version out. But I guess it's easier to port to OpenGL than Quartz.

andamaru
January 2nd, 2009, 09:22 PM
It really makes no sense to release a Linux version without having a Mac version out. But I guess it's easier to port to OpenGL than Quartz.

why is that?

ghindo
January 2nd, 2009, 10:06 PM
It really makes no sense to release a Linux version without having a Mac version out. But I guess it's easier to port to OpenGL than Quartz.Isn't OpenGL integrated into OS X?

Polygon
January 3rd, 2009, 01:54 AM
of course, what else do you think mac os x uses?

Frak
January 3rd, 2009, 02:12 AM
I remember hearing a rumor on a TF2 server talking about Ryan "Icculus" Gordon either working on a hl2 port (engine) or a steam port.

Just a rumor, but so was Prey, which he did port to Linux. (http://icculus.org/prey/)

@cmat
OpenGL is easier to port to for gaming than to Quartz. If I was doing Bejeweled, I'd use Quartz. If I was doing Half-Life, I'd use OpenGL. One is much more powerful, and albeit easier, than the other one for various uses.

Polygon
January 3rd, 2009, 02:38 AM
well prey is easier, as it uses the doom3 engine which has already been ported.....this would be the first time the source engine would run on a different os...but maybe

ELD
January 5th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Then Steam is not for you. But that doesn't mean it's not for anyone. There are a lot of people who do like those games. That's why they're so popular.

But my point is that it's not easy for people to just come up with a line of great quality games with good story lines, especially when you're talking about doing all that work for a platform that is virtually non-existent in the gaming market share. Just to prove my point, how many free single player campaign mode FPS can you list that are native to Linux? And don't try to compare the quality of Sauerbraten to the quality of HL2. The games we have are all the same cookie cutter multi-player game with a different name and a different backdrop.

I wish some company would do what you're talking about, but that would take a lot of work with little capital gain on their part. I'm not getting my hopes up.

So steam is not for me because i don't like HL2? You realise there and LOTS more games than just steam stuff right?

Steam also does more than FPS games, and for a nice list of games why not look here -> http://www.happypenguin.org/ Who says they have to be huge graphicly instensive games, who also said they have to be free?

On a lighter note, you may want to check this out -> http://www.happypenguin.org/show?DJL

Polygon
January 6th, 2009, 10:28 PM
im sure those are all fine and dandy, but almost all the games i play regularly are valve games. team fortress 2. deathmatch. half life series. left4dead. why? because valve knows what they are doing, essentially every game they have ever released has been a hit. half life 2 is tied for the highest rating ever on metacritic.com (96).

sure we can survive without steam/valve/source. we are right now. But games like 'nexuiz' and 'alien arena' dont compare to team fortress 2, half life and counter strike, sorry. if valve would port their stuff to linux, i know of a LOT of people who would switch right then and there. I know i would

forrestcupp
January 6th, 2009, 11:16 PM
So steam is not for me because i don't like HL2? You realise there and LOTS more games than just steam stuff right?You're the one that was talking about why you don't need Steam. So I conceded that it's not for you.

Steam also does more than FPS games, and for a nice list of games why not look here -> http://www.happypenguin.org/ Who says they have to be huge graphicly instensive games, who also said they have to be free?We have thousands of games for Linux that are not graphically intensive games. We even have some for Linux that are graphically intensive. But the area where we are sadly lacking is in commercial quality graphically intensive single player campaign/storyline games. And you're right; they don't need to be free. The Penumbra games are excellent examples of non-free games that have native Linux clients.

I honestly don't care about Steam as much as I care about having good commercial quality games available for Linux. Especially since Steam and most Valve games work well in Wine.

My point was that just because one person doesn't need Steam doesn't mean that everyone doesn't need it. I don't give a rat's behind whether you or I ever use Steam or not. But for the sake of the people who do want it because they want to play those particular games, I hope they port it.