PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Serious problem after upgrading from 7.10 to 8.04

vligu
December 29th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Hi,
i had an ubuntu desktop, the version was 7.10. It was really nice since i had enabled the desktop visual effects using restricted drivers from nvidia. My screen is philips 170c (17 inch), after upgrading to ubuntu 8.10 there was a big problem, i cant get any screen resolution except of 800x600, and when i start my pc it says ubuntu running in low graphic mode...

Any help please. Thanks.
Sorry for my bad english!

cab_bae
December 29th, 2008, 03:27 PM
First of all need some details on your computers specs. As well as, if your using nvidia cards they use restricted drives and if that's true then check to see if it is enabled. If not then enable it and it should solve the problem. If by any chance it's not nvidia but uses restricted drivers then check to see if they are enabled in System >> Administration >> Hardware Drivers. Hope this works...

vligu
December 29th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Offcourse it is nvidia Geforce 7300. I enabled the driver, and it required restarting the system, and i did so. After that still have the problem and when i checked if the driver was enabled, it seems to be not. So i think that driver could not be enabled during booting the system!!! I have to say that the same problem was occured when i had on same machine ubuntu 8.10 and i downloaded restricted drivevers, so that was the reason i change to 7.10, and thinking logically i thought let make the upgrading from internet, but it seems it doesnt worked for me.

vligu
December 29th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Thanks for interesting, but the problem resolved. Well i dont know how i i did it but, i removed all previous drivers of nvidia, and than i downloaded envyNG and it did it all for me. Thanks again, and Happy New Year!