PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] DNS issue

Josep CA
December 29th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Hi,
I'm quite noob using Ubuntu and since I upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10 I'm unable to load ubuntu (loading stops in "running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local)). I've tried apt-get update but it seems there is a DNS problem, nslookup and dig show "connection timed out; no server could be reached". I have a working ADSL connexion in my laptop (it works in the same machine where I have xp installed in another partition).
Any help will be welcomed.

fx78
December 29th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Can you give us some more background information ? Is the ADSL modem connected directly to your computer ? Or is there a router in between ?

Can you ping google (without dns)? Try

ping 64.233.183.104

Josep CA
December 29th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Is the ADSL modem connected directly to your computer ? Or is there a router in between ?

I have ADSL modem connected directly to my computer.

Can you ping google (without dns)?

When I try ping 64.233.183.104 I get "Network is unreacheable"

fx78
December 29th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Could you give the brand and type of the modem ?

Any idea how the ADSL modem was setup in windows ? If you need a login and pass to setup the link then you will need to do the same in ubuntu.

Try checking your network connections in xp and see if any PPPOE connection is listed, if so you'll probaly need to setup a PPPOE connection in ubuntu.

Josep CA
December 29th, 2008, 03:37 PM
My connection worked with Ubuntu 8.04 without any need to configurate nothing.
My modem is P660R D1 RoHS

fx78
December 29th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Ok found out that it's a zyxel P660R modem/router. So no setup required. Sounds like a DHCP problem
Any chance you could attach your /var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog file ?