PDA

View Full Version : Do I have anything to worry about with downloading open source programs from torrent?

koffeinöverdos
December 29th, 2008, 12:01 PM
My dad and I both run our own internet based businesses and we absolutely cannot afford to have the whiny RIAA cut us off or even slow us down because I "stole" an open source program. All I want is stinking YamiPod, because gtkpod and Songbird's iPod support don't seem to be doing it for me. I have already heard two horror stories on ubuntuforums about people actually getting in trouble for downloading ubuntu off of bittorrent. Am I being paranoid or is my fear rational?

Grant A.
December 29th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Well, I think in the United States it is illegal to browse your web history, because it is an invasion of privacy as defined by the Internet Security Act of 1988. So if they do cut you off, you might be able to sue them for invasion of privacy, and false accusations.

Although, I am not a lawyer.

koffeinöverdos
December 29th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Well, I think in the United States it is illegal to browse your web history, because it is an invasion of privacy as defined by the Internet Security Act of 1988. So if they do cut you off, you might be able to sue them for invasion of privacy, and false accusations.

Although, I am not a lawyer.

I guess I could get them for false accusations because it's GPL. That should be enough to scare them away because I never touch torrent/P2P.

Bölvaður
December 29th, 2008, 02:16 PM
1. torrent technology is not illegal and is probably going to be much more part of your linux life getting programs and updates in the future.

2. of all the millions of users you found 2 examples of some one getting into trouble.

3. :popcorn: I have a third option here just because it looks better.

but there might be more odds of people compiling the source with unwanted procedures in it I guess if you get it from torrents rather than repos but this yamipod doesnt supply source code so you are safe from that. But that means that it is not free, it is only freeware. So it isnt GPL after all, but you are legally allowed to download it without payment.

ZuLuuuuuu
December 29th, 2008, 02:19 PM
It is interesting and sad that people hesitate using torrents for downloading even open source stuff because, AFAIK, the invention of torrent was to provide a faster way for distributing big open source software, like Linux distributions.

I never used a torrent though because our internet connection doesn't allow it.

Mason Whitaker
December 29th, 2008, 02:22 PM
You don't have to worry about anything bud, the odds of being caught are to great and the enemies of opensource, to stupid :P

nibon
December 29th, 2008, 02:25 PM
ah, I can tell you're swedish, just like me :)
Torrents are not illegal, it's just that many files are illegal to download and torrenting them is a common way to do so, hence many people associate torrents with illegal activities.

if this YamiPod thing is open source and free, then no, I don't think they have any right at all to sue you. No illegal acts are being done by downloading free software, and since IPRED isn't active yet (nor will be 'til April next year), they can not check your IP or track you somehow legally (...i think...)

billgoldberg
December 29th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I wouldn't do it, not because I'm afraid someone will think I download illegal things, but because the dude who put the torrent up could have done fifty millions things with the app, making it potentionallh harmful for your pc.

Now, if the official website links to them, they should be ok.

Bölvaður
December 29th, 2008, 04:35 PM
nibon.
No this is not open source application, but it is still free to download, so it is leagal even though it isn't free (as in freedom)

billgoldberg.
This is from the official website so it should be perfectly safe. but as you said when you agreed with me, if it wasnt... then it might be anything at all. (edited due to immoral content)

koffeinöverdos
December 29th, 2008, 05:22 PM
1. torrent technology is not illegal and is probably going to be much more part of your linux life getting programs and updates in the future.

2. of all the millions of users you found 2 examples of some one getting into trouble.

3. :popcorn: I have a third option here just because it looks better.

but there might be more odds of people compiling the source with unwanted procedures in it I guess if you get it from torrents rather than repos but this yamipod doesnt supply source code so you are safe from that. But that means that it is not free, it is only freeware. So it isnt GPL after all, but you are legally allowed to download it without payment.

Sorry for assuming it was open source, I was browsing for software at 6 in the morning. And no I had not just woken up.

It is interesting and sad that people hesitate using torrents for downloading even open source stuff because, AFAIK, the invention of torrent was to provide a faster way for distributing big open source software, like Linux distributions.

I never used a torrent though because our internet connection doesn't allow it.

I can see the benefits and I wanted to start using torrents to download linux distributions as I'm starting to get to the point when I like experimenting with them, its just that i know that all of the watchdogs are dumping all of their attention on torrents at the moment.

You don't have to worry about anything bud, the odds of being caught are to great and the enemies of opensource, to stupid :P
I am aware of that, but they do have an awful lot of money to attack me with.:(

ah, I can tell you're swedish, just like me :)
Torrents are not illegal, it's just that many files are illegal to download and torrenting them is a common way to do so, hence many people associate torrents with illegal activities.

if this YamiPod thing is open source and free, then no, I don't think they have any right at all to sue you. No illegal acts are being done by downloading free software, and since IPRED isn't active yet (nor will be 'til April next year), they can not check your IP or track you somehow legally (...i think...) Actually I'm not Swedish and I don't know Swedish, but I wish I did. Too busy with Chinese at the moment. :(

I wouldn't do it, not because I'm afraid someone will think I download illegal things, but because the dude who put the torrent up could have done fifty millions things with the app, making it potentionallh harmful for your pc.

Now, if the official website links to them, they should be ok.
Thats part of the reason I never use torrents. I used kazaa once when I was 15 or something and I know all about the "perverted files".

nibon.
No this is not open source application, but it is still free to download, so it is leagal even though it isn't free (as in freedom)

billgoldberg.
This is from the official website so it should be perfectly safe. but as you said when you agreed with me, if it wasnt... then it might be anything at all. (edited due to immoral content)

OK Thanks everyone I'm probably being a little paranoid I guess. I'll just get the program. Its pathetic that I even have to be worried about it in the first place.

handy
December 29th, 2008, 11:51 PM
To the OP, if you are truly terrified of the RIAA then install Vidalia & TorButton on a machine & download the file that you need.

Using torrents on the Tor network is frowned upon, & slower than using torrents normally, but by using this Tor/Privoxy combination you are as anonymous as you can get. Tor is used by the U.S. military.

emshains
December 30th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Using torrents isn't illegal, downloading and uploading pirated data is illegal.

melt
December 30th, 2008, 01:03 AM
To the OP, if you are truly terrified of the RIAA then install Vidalia & TorButton on a machine & download the file that you need.

Using torrents on the Tor network is frowned upon, & slower than using torrents normally, but by using this Tor/Privoxy combination you are as anonymous as you can get. Tor is used by the U.S. military.

interesting, i did not know tor worked with torrents, i am certain it does not work with p2p but torrents?

emshains
December 30th, 2008, 01:11 AM
interesting, i did not know tor worked with torrents, i am certain it does not work with p2p but torrents?

If you configure your p2p app properly, it works, at least that's what I think.

Grant A.
December 30th, 2008, 02:44 AM

It is sponsored by them too, if I remember correctly.

grazed
December 30th, 2008, 04:04 AM
I really don't see the issue here.

The only torrents the MPAA/RIAA plant themselves in are music/video. Why would you even be worried about it? They don't have any grounds, let alone any reason to seed/leech torrents of freeware...

There are way too many paranoid misconceptions about torrents. A perfect example of which is the so called "resources and watch dogs" being applied. None of which, exist. The only people that are actually doing anything at all are the MPAA/RIAA, and them alone. There's no one else.

Further, both have stated now that they no longer will attempt legal action. They plan on getting ISP's to deliver warnings, that's it.

There is absolutely nothing to worry about while using torrents.

grazed
December 30th, 2008, 04:06 AM

Please don't suggest abusing the Tor network like that. People using it for these reasons are the people that slow down the network to a halt.

It's always frowned upon, and you are hindering the service for those who could really use it, such as residents of china, etc.

handy
December 30th, 2008, 05:03 AM
It is sponsored by them too, if I remember correctly.

Yes I think so, at least initially.

handy
December 30th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Please don't suggest abusing the Tor network like that. People using it for these reasons are the people that slow down the network to a halt.

Too late now. ;-)

It's always frowned upon, and you are hindering the service for those who could really use it, such as residents of china, etc.

My suggestion was offered as a last resort for an anxious person to download the one file that they require.

I agree, that there is no need to fear using torrents, as the RIAA has wasted a huge amount of their money on subpoenas & the rest of the legal process to never bring a guilty verdict on any individual file sharer. (I read this recently but don't have a link I'm sorry.)

So as previously stated in this thread, the RIAA is now dealing directly with ISPs in the hope of saving themselves some money & potentially scaring more people.

I expect that this will only happen via a few ISPs in the U.S. & I expect that as soon as people know which ISPs they will run to another one, which will have the effect of discouraging ISPs from entering into agreements with the RIAA.

koffeinöverdos
December 30th, 2008, 08:13 AM
I really don't see the issue here.

The only torrents the MPAA/RIAA plant themselves in are music/video. Why would you even be worried about it? They don't have any grounds, let alone any reason to seed/leech torrents of freeware...

There are way too many paranoid misconceptions about torrents. A perfect example of which is the so called "resources and watch dogs" being applied. None of which, exist. The only people that are actually doing anything at all are the MPAA/RIAA, and them alone. There's no one else.

Further, both have stated now that they no longer will attempt legal action. They plan on getting ISP's to deliver warnings, that's it.

There is absolutely nothing to worry about while using torrents.Okay okay I get it, I'm a paranoid freak. I'm paranoid in many areas of my life and get anxiety attacks too easily, etc.

I got YamiPod this morning and I feel okay.

I had thought of the same reasoning you did earlier today, all the MPAA/RIAA cares about is movies/music, but I still had a lingering paranoia. I suppose its because of my history of being falsely accused of stealing things from stores (multiple times).

Sorry I made such a big deal out of it, and I did not use Tor, if it makes people feel better, I just used Transmission. Horribly slow, but I only needed one 7 mb program, so its fine. The deed is done.