PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Quesion about alternate cd

madkid
December 29th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Does the alternate cd require that I have a working internet connection to install 8.04 onto my hard drive?

overdrank
December 29th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Does the alternate cd require that I have a working internet connection to install 8.04 onto my hard drive?
Hi and no, you can install without a working connection.

madkid
December 29th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Hi and no, you can install without a working connection.

Oh, good! I almost had a heart attack. Also, will 8.04 work on my computer after installation if I have less then 256mb of ram?

kunixos
December 29th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Oh, good! I almost had a heart attack. Also, will 8.04 work on my computer after installation if I have less then 256mb of ram?
It depends on how much less. The alternate install, however, is geared towards people with slim amounts of RAM

madkid
December 29th, 2008, 09:27 AM
It depends on how much less. The alternate install, however, is geared towards people with slim amounts of RAM

I have 224mbs of ram. I currently run Ubuntu 7.04 and it runs just fine. I was just wondering if 8.04 would be any slower because of it being a new version also.

Thanks for all the help!

kunixos
December 29th, 2008, 09:38 AM
The newer version only updates the core program set, it'll run just fine with the same amount of RAM so long as you do not enable a lot of extra RAM-hungry applications (like Compiz). As long as you use the Alternate install CD you'll be fine.

madkid
December 29th, 2008, 09:41 AM
The newer version only updates the core program set, it'll run just fine with the same amount of RAM so long as you do not enable a lot of extra RAM-hungry applications (like Compiz). As long as you use the Alternate install CD you'll be fine.

Yes! Thank you. You have no idea how great I feel! I though I'd be stuck with this old unsupported OS. Thank you for clearing this up for me guys.