PDA

View Full Version : less or more -- which one do you prefer

kevdog
December 29th, 2008, 07:12 AM
I seem to use more a lot more than less -- probably back to the old unix days. Just curious which command people generally prefer?

MikeTheC
December 29th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Well, when it comes to my wallet, I'd have to say I'm a fan of more.

When it comes to bills, then I'm afraid I have to prefer less instead.

Now, let's take a simple for-instance. Let's imagine we were talking about someone coming up and offering you -- no strings attached -- $1000 or $1,000,000,000.00. Arguably, $1,000,000,000.00 is a lot more (not "allot", folks! :) ) than $1000. Well...

Then in that particular case, I would have to say I prefer "a lot more" to just simply "more".

Remember, YMMV...

Hopefully, this answers your questions, o donner of a santa-capped avatar! ;)

MaxIBoy
December 29th, 2008, 07:38 AM
I use as little as possible to do as much as possible.

I write shell scripts and bind them to key combinations.

"Did you just open five different programs in a pre-defined layout on the screen, simply by hitting shift-alt-m?"
"Why, yes I did."

RiceMonster
December 29th, 2008, 07:41 AM
I used <command> | more for a little while until I learned about less. Less is much better because you can scroll up and down. If you use more, you might hit space bar, and then think "wait, what was that?" or something along those lines, but you can't go back. With less, you can.

FuturePilot
December 29th, 2008, 07:41 AM
I use less.

MaxIBoy
December 29th, 2008, 07:43 AM
I used <command> | more for a little while until I learned about less. Less is much better because you can scroll up and down. If you use more, you might hit space bar, and then think "wait, what was that?" or something along those lines, but you can't go back. With less, you can.
+1

I didn't know about either until I was told-- I thought I had to use "command > file; emacs file."

MikeTheC
December 29th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I use as little as possible to do as much as possible.

I write shell scripts and bind them to key combinations.

"Did you just open five different programs in a pre-defined layout on the screen, simply by hitting shift-alt-m?"
"Why, yes I did."

For some reason, I'm reminded of this XKCD comic, which was talked about here in a different thread:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/real_programmers.png

MaxIBoy
December 29th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Insta-win:
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/a_bunch_of_rocks.png

Just kidding. Actually, real programmers use TECO.

Superslobberface
December 29th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I use less.

I often pipe the results of a grep to less:

grep -inr keyword | less

urukrama
December 29th, 2008, 10:28 AM
less

3rdalbum
December 29th, 2008, 11:12 AM
less == more
more | less

I don't see a reason to use more instead of less.

laceration
December 29th, 2008, 05:35 PM
More or less, I couldn't use more less, there is more to less. I couldn't say more about less and less about more.

lykwydchykyn
December 29th, 2008, 05:40 PM
I used less, until I discovered most. Most is now installed on all my linux boxes.

sudo apt-get install most

It's the most, man.

notwen
December 29th, 2008, 05:58 PM
less

skueppers
December 29th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I prefer less, but my brain is so used to typing "more" that I have simply aliased more to '/usr/bin/less -m'.

So I type more to use less. :)

Sorivenul
December 29th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I use less.

Dr Small
December 29th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Actually, quite strangely, I rarely ever use less or more. Instead, I use cat, vim and grep most of the time :)

Tim Sharitt
December 29th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I use less for the simple fact that I found it first and now it's just habit.