PDA

View Full Version : Ebooks and Linux

Warpnow
December 29th, 2008, 06:06 AM
So, I have an acer aspire one. Its the perfect size for an ebook reader, and I like fbreader, but it seems so pointless.

I think a command line OS (the smallest possible) installed to an SD card with a command line browser to view html ebooks would be the best bet...

Any thoughts?

And does anyone know of a command line distribution that isn't aimed at server use?

lykwydchykyn
December 29th, 2008, 06:14 AM
So, I have an acer aspire one. Its the perfect size for an ebook reader, and I like fbreader, but it seems so pointless.

I think a command line OS (the smallest possible) installed to an SD card with a command line browser to view html ebooks would be the best bet...

Any thoughts?

And does anyone know of a command line distribution that isn't aimed at server use?

A minimal Debian install is pretty much generic, not aimed at anything in particular. I believe the alternate install CD for Ubuntu will give you the same.

init1
December 29th, 2008, 06:15 AM

Any thoughts?

TTYLinux may be what you're looking for. It's extremely small and has a web browser.
http://www.minimalinux.org/ttylinux/

TBOL3
December 29th, 2008, 06:20 AM
I've never actually looked, but I think damn small linux is a CLI

Warpnow
December 29th, 2008, 06:24 AM
DSL has a gui, which is what makes it so impressive.

handy
December 29th, 2008, 06:30 AM
I like my books read to me these days. :-)

I must be reverting to my childhood.

There are some wonderful audio books available with superb casts.

jethro10
December 29th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Once you try Calibre for book management, you wont want a CLI based system.

Corfy
January 1st, 2009, 03:30 AM
I've never actually looked, but I think damn small linux is a CLI

Actually, DSL uses FluxBox as its window manager. Considering the size, it is surprising it has a GUI interface, but it does.

lykwydchykyn
January 1st, 2009, 07:09 AM
Actually, DSL uses FluxBox as its window manager. Considering the size, it is surprising it has a GUI interface, but it does.

It has not only one but two! You can switch between jwm and fluxbox. DSL's pretty amazing for 50 mb!

go_beep_yourself
January 1st, 2009, 08:28 AM
Minix is pretty small and still in development, and GNU FreeDOS has no gui.

Grant A.
January 1st, 2009, 08:31 AM
I think MenuetOS could work for this, considering a full desktop for it only needs 1.44MB.