PDA

View Full Version : Good Books for Linux ?

armageddon08
December 29th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Hi Everyone.

Could you people suggest me some good books for learning linux? They could be distro-specific or generalised. I know the basics so I want books which cover not just the basics but also advanced concepts, such as system administration, bash shell scripting and the like.

Thanks. :)

MikeTheC
December 29th, 2008, 04:54 AM
This one by Rickford Grant is an excellent "getting started" reference:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/513BYRpVQ7L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/Ubuntu-Non-Geeks-Pain-Free-Project-Based-Get-Things-Done/dp/1593271808/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230522786&sr=8-5)

armageddon08
December 29th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Good.....but I want something which covers everything from "getting started" to "breaking and fixing" i.e. from beginner to advanced levels.

handy
December 29th, 2008, 06:27 AM
I would think that you really should be able to find everything you need on the web, & not have to buy/borrow any books at all.

There are many good resources for Linux in general, Linux specifics & Bash courses ranging from beginner to advanced.

Let Scroogle be your friend? :-)

armageddon08
December 29th, 2008, 06:35 AM
I would think that you really should be able to find everything you need on the web, & not have to buy/borrow any books at all.

There are many good resources for Linux in general, Linux specifics & Bash courses ranging from beginner to advanced.

Let Scroogle be your friend? :-)

That's true but it does not really correspond to a serious way of learning things.

Rokurosv
December 29th, 2008, 06:44 AM
I have the following:

The Unix Programming Enviroment
The Art of Unix Programming
Wiley's The Linux Bible
Oreilly's Practical Unix and Internet Security

The first one covers a lot of stuff from the basic commands to how the X server actually works and other stuff. I haven't finished the last 2 yet but they're good.

Books can only get you so farm after a while you start learning stuff on your own as you troubleshoot and configure stuff, for example when I first began using Linux, instaling the Nvidia driver seemed imposible, now it's a breeze, and I can configure most of the xorg files by hand.

Also the Internet is your friend, there are thousands of sites full with info about Linux and Ubuntu.

handy
December 29th, 2008, 06:48 AM
That's true but it does not really correspond to a serious way of learning things.

Why do you think that?

If you need you can print out what you need. Some have the entire contents available in printable form &/or .pdf.

sujoy
December 29th, 2008, 06:51 AM
read the bash manpage, print it or whatever.
and read the manpages of grep, sed, awk, find, etc

this ought to keep you occupied for sometime by which you will see that you can understand almost all the shell scripts. :)

kevdog
December 29th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Tell me more about Scrooge please!! I am unfamiliar with that!

armageddon08
December 29th, 2008, 06:57 AM

I think Scroogle meant "Search Google"..

armageddon08
December 29th, 2008, 06:58 AM
I have the following:

The Unix Programming Enviroment
The Art of Unix Programming
Wiley's The Linux Bible
Oreilly's Practical Unix and Internet Security

The first one covers a lot of stuff from the basic commands to how the X server actually works and other stuff. I haven't finished the last 2 yet but they're good.

Books can only get you so farm after a while you start learning stuff on your own as you troubleshoot and configure stuff, for example when I first began using Linux, instaling the Nvidia driver seemed imposible, now it's a breeze, and I can configure most of the xorg files by hand.

Also the Internet is your friend, there are thousands of sites full with info about Linux and Ubuntu.

Thanks for the recommendations buddy.... :)

armageddon08
December 29th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Why do you think that?

If you need you can print out what you need. Some have the entire contents available in printable form &/or .pdf.

Yup....you are right. So, far whatever I've learnt about Linux/Ubuntu has all been through the internet, google and you guys here at the community. Of course, I'll keep on learning by the net, but at the same time I'll be reading a book to strengthen up my concepts. :)

Greyed
December 29th, 2008, 07:13 AM

Of course not. But then the serious way of learning things often is quite lacking.

sudo aptitude install rutebook

Not entirely up-to-date but it is an excellent beginner-to-sysadmin overview, much of which is still applicable today.

MikeTheC
December 29th, 2008, 07:14 AM
@Armageddon08

Ok, no problem, but in the future it would be useful if you more adequately or completely explained what your present knowledge and experience levels are, and what you believe the goal state of your ambitions and journeys may be.

handy
December 29th, 2008, 07:35 AM

Scroogle uses the Google search engine but protects your privacy.

https://ssl.scroogle.org/scrapen8.html

http://www.scroogle.org/

You can add it to your Firefox search menu as well, here is one of the ways:

http://jeffwinkler.net/2006/08/11/firefox-search-plugins-scroogle-pythondocs-javablogs/

handy
December 29th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Yup....you are right. So, far whatever I've learnt about Linux/Ubuntu has all been through the internet, google and you guys here at the community. Of course, I'll keep on learning by the net, but at the same time I'll be reading a book to strengthen up my concepts. :)

That's cool. :-)

BWF89
January 5th, 2009, 02:23 AM
I just ordered the Linux Bible 2009 and and the Linux Pocket Guide. Should hopefully come sometime this week.

Has anyone here read Linux In a Nutshell? If yes, how is it?

cardinals_fan
January 5th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Programming Perl

Why? Because it's hilarious.