PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation problem on old Toshiba laptop

shiretiger
December 29th, 2008, 04:37 AM
I have an old Toshiba Satellite laptop circa 2001 that originally had Windows Me installed. I have upgraded it to XP Pro.

It is now running very slow and so I have decided to reformat and reinstall. Only problem is that I have lost the original disks from Toshiba.

Therefore I have decided to install Ubuntu instead.

I downloaded the files and burnt a disk and inserted it into the laptop. It went to install, said loading kernell, went to 100% and then went to a blank screen with a blinking curser. it has been sitting like that since.

I took the disk out and tried it in my desktop and it worked fine.

Any ideas to get it running? I'd rather not fork out some $ for a copy of Vista.

2hot6ft2
December 29th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Sometimes it will do that while it's loading into the RAM. Did you look to see if it was busy reading the disc? How much RAM does it have?

theozzlives
December 29th, 2008, 05:17 AM
I have an old Toshiba Satellite laptop circa 2001 that originally had Windows Me installed. I have upgraded it to XP Pro.

It is now running very slow and so I have decided to reformat and reinstall. Only problem is that I have lost the original disks from Toshiba.

Therefore I have decided to install Ubuntu instead.

I downloaded the files and burnt a disk and inserted it into the laptop. It went to install, said loading kernell, went to 100% and then went to a blank screen with a blinking curser. it has been sitting like that since.

I took the disk out and tried it in my desktop and it worked fine.

Any ideas to get it running? I'd rather not fork out some $ for a copy of Vista.

Your computer will not run Vista!

shiretiger
December 29th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Sometimes it will do that while it's loading into the RAM. Did you look to see if it was busy reading the disc? How much RAM does it have?

Disk wasnt flashing.

248M RAM

shiretiger
December 29th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Your computer will not run Vista!

Then I need to get ubuntu working as you cant buy XP anymore

logos34
December 29th, 2008, 07:36 AM
you don't have enough ram...try Xubuntu

Rohan Kapoor
December 29th, 2008, 07:56 AM
you don't have enough ram...try Xubuntu

Xubuntu is your last/best bet at this point, unless you can upgrade your RAM

Sour Mash
December 29th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I had the same issue and got xubuntu 8.04.1 running OK eventually, I have now upgraded to 8.10 and screwed it up!

The blinking cursor (I think that should be curser) was solved the first time round by pressing the screen print key, don't ask me why but it worked first time round. It doesn't work following the upgrade and I am now looking for a new solution to get my system back!

Rohan Kapoor
December 30th, 2008, 12:28 AM
I would reccomend either sticking with Xubuntu 8.04 or installing Xubuntu 8.10. Sometimes the upgrade doesn't go through properely. This happend on one of my desktops once. I then installed the version I was trying to upgrade to and it started working again.

Sour Mash
December 30th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I couldn't get 8.10 to install properly in the first place but then whilst trying to fix my WiFi connection I succumbed to a recommendation to upgrade to 8.10....and so then then wheels came off:(

Rohan Kapoor
December 30th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Then I would say, reinstall 8.04 and we'll go from there!

Sour Mash
December 30th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Good plan ;-)

Rohan Kapoor
December 30th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Good plan ;-)
Allright then!!! Let me know when you have in reinstalled.

Sour Mash
December 30th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Argh! (sorry, that's over dramatic) Oops! (that's more like it) reinstall done and all as was except I can't remember how I fixed the screen resolution it's on max in the settings but that's not correct - I used some commands I got from a thread here and a little wizardy thing popped up so I could tell xubuntu exactly what my monitor is.

Annyway, 8.04 is working as it was, still got the weird stalling on boot up where I have to press the screen print for it to load but we're back where we started :-)

Will raise separate threads for my issues :popcorn:

Rohan Kapoor
December 30th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Argh! (sorry, that's over dramatic) Oops! (that's more like it) reinstall done and all as was except I can't remember how I fixed the screen resolution it's on max in the settings but that's not correct - I used some commands I got from a thread here and a little wizardy thing popped up so I could tell xubuntu exactly what my monitor is.

Annyway, 8.04 is working as it was, still got the weird stalling on boot up where I have to press the screen print for it to load but we're back where we started :-)

Will raise separate threads for my issues :popcorn:
Allrighty then! I reccomend marking this thread as solved!

Sour Mash
December 30th, 2008, 10:55 PM
That's OK with me but I wasn't the original poster - can anyone mark it as solved?

Rohan Kapoor
December 30th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Yep, didn't see that!