PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Acer Aspire 5530 wireless not working

WritersBlock
December 29th, 2008, 04:06 AM
I cannot get my wireless to work. I have installed the wrapper file but it requests that I install a file with a *.INF extension. My Acer driver has a *.sys extension :(, the file is "athr.sys". Is there a fix or equivalent file for this :confused:?

JoeyTort
December 29th, 2008, 04:10 AM
dude, im not even that far. i have an acer 5315 and i cant get wifi to work. where did you get your tutorial?

WritersBlock
December 29th, 2008, 04:21 AM
I followed the HELP instructions in UBUNTU - under the wireless topics (there are quite a few steps). Sorry, I do not remember the exact steps, I am back in Vista right now and do not have access to the menus. Will write back when I switch systems.

WritersBlock
December 29th, 2008, 04:49 AM
ok - back in ubuntu - from SYSTEM > ADMINISTRATION > Synaptic Package Manager.
Oncce this opens select NETWORKING > select the NDISGTK package > and Mark for installation.

THis will install the wrapper (you'll probably need an internet connection for this to work so connect your wire).

Once this is installed you should now have an additional menu option in the SYSTEM > ADMINISTRATION called > Windows wireless drivers. When you select this you will be asked to find (good luck) and install your driver - which must have an INF extentension.

That is as far as I got!