PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Looking to clean up my desktop (Gnome)

KeilanS
December 29th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Hey all,

I am a new convert from Windows Vista, and while I find the Beryl effects quite awesome, I am unhappy with my desktop. The grey bars at the top just don't do it for me.

Basically I'm a minimalist, I like things to be small, sleek and out of the way while still have functionality. So I'm just looking for tips/mods to make my desktop look a tad nicer. Just for comparison sake, here is my Vista desktop:

http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk323/KeilanS/Desktop-July2408.jpg

So basically I'm looking for tips, and instructions to implement them (bear in mind I'm a beginner with Ubuntu, so you'll have to walk me through stuff).

Thanks,
Keilan

dkev
December 29th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Right click on bottom panel and select remove. Right click on top panel and select move. and just drag it to the bottom. Next, right click on the panel you moved and select "add to panel". Select Window List. This will create your task bar on the panel. You might also add your waste basket to the panel as well. Avant window navigator is the Linux version of the the navigator you have in your screen shot.

KeilanS
December 29th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Awesome! :) Thanks.

pastalavista
December 29th, 2008, 07:04 AM
You can find lots of pre-made desktop themes at gnome-look.org (http://www.gnome-look.org). If you decide to download one, to install it, just drag the package into the System > Preferences > Appearance --Theme application window.

LordSmight
December 29th, 2008, 07:55 AM
The Ubuntu dekstop panels can be set to quick hide, or you can also remove them.
Right-click the panels and choose "preferences" and experament with what you find there.

A dock you can use in Ubuntu, which is my favorite, is AWN(Avant-Window-Navigator). You can download it by entering the command:

sudo apt-get install avant-window-navigator

in the terminal.

rudihawk
December 29th, 2008, 10:14 AM
AFAIK avant-window-navigator, cannot be placed at the top of the screen? I may speak under correction though.

To customize the panels you could right-click and change properties such as opacity etc.

Happy customizing!