PDA

View Full Version : Thinking Of Building a Jacked Computer

pirattrev
December 29th, 2008, 03:51 AM
I've been thinking recently of building a jacked computer to run linux, most likely 8.04. This would be a welcome change because at the moment all I have is my T61 laptop. These are the specs, make any suggestions you like:

AMD 2.8ghz 4-Core Phenom
1 Terabyte of Seagate
16 Gigabytes of GSkill RAM
LIAN-LI black metal case

What do you guys think I should do about the GPU? Which Motherboards are the best? Is the 4-Core worth the price jump?

LookTJ
December 29th, 2008, 04:39 AM
I would recommend going with Gigabyte on the motherboard. For GPU, I would take nVidia 9600GT. I have not tried the newest GPUs, so I leave that to others. :)

jay3712
December 29th, 2008, 04:59 AM
What are you planning on doing with 16 gigs of ram? Intel's new i7 came out recently if you're looking to spend some coin.

mips
December 29th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I would recommend going with Gigabyte on the motherboard. For GPU, I would take nVidia 9600GT. I have not tried the newest GPUs, so I leave that to others. :)

+1 I have both an Gigabyte MB and XFX9600GT.

I would rather go with Intel cpu. 4 core are nice when doing stuff like encoding/decoding etc

hotweiss
December 29th, 2008, 09:27 AM
My only suggestion would be to go the soft RAID route. dmraid works perfectly in Linux now, and now all of the RAID configuration is done automatically using the alternate CD. I'm using it now and my boot times have been cut in half, and over all the system is speedier.

hotweiss
December 29th, 2008, 09:28 AM

I'm a big fan of Gigabyte myself. I overclock the hell out of my CPU and I never had one crash.