PDA

View Full Version : Linux programming help...

Lighto
December 29th, 2008, 12:31 AM
I have been programming in windows for years using MASM32 (assembly), Visual Basic, Perl, and some C.

99% i have used apis for everything (especailly in assembly language) but now that i have moved to ubuntu from windows im not sure how it all works...

I found that using a GUI tookit instead of apis would be better (i used apis in assembly all time) now i use GUI tookits to make my interfaces for my programs.

Problem is i dont know linux system of apis and stuff like how to WriteProcessMemory in linux etc...

I know extensive VB, good knowledge of assembly (masm32), good knowledge of perl and i know a bit in C++ (I only started C++ maybe few months ago but ive done a number of projects with it mostly just trainers through).

Can somebody direct me to websites/tutorials or something for helping windows programmers moving to linux?.

Thanks,
Lighto

iharrold
December 29th, 2008, 02:43 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6455343&postcount=6

I wrote this for someone else... but I think it will help you.

stevescripts
December 29th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Lighto - Considering you already have a good knowledge of Perl, why not just go with one of the GUI toolkits available for Perl? PerkTk and wxWidgets come to mind, and are cross-platform.

Steve

Jack Shankle
January 18th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Hi all Assembler programmers.
I write in MASM32 and from what I have been reading here MASM32 means
that I'll have to stick with the dog Windows. First for MASM32 to run
it needs to be in the Root directory and I understand that is a nono
here. I get an error when I try to call up the editor to work on a program.
This is very discouraging.
My reason for dumping windows other than the obvious reasons is the new patent
that Microsoft applied for to charge for by how much you use the internet.
The straw that broke the camels back.....
I would be most interested in your thoughts.