PDA

View Full Version : What can I do for Open Source?

IYY
December 12th, 2005, 06:50 AM
I am a computer science undergraduate student. I've used Linux for nearly a year now and I love it. I want to give something back to the community, and improve my coding skills while doing so.

The problem is that I don't really know where to start. I know Java and C and am a decent programmer, but I've never been involved in real software projects. I also have no idea how these kinds of projects operate and how to go about finding and joining a project in which I can help.

So, where do I start? Could you recommend any books on the topic? Should I start my own project from scratch, or join an existing one?

I know nothing, please enlighten me. :confused:

maruchan
December 12th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Dear Computer Science Undergraduate,

Cool, you have Java skills. I use a Java open source 3D modeling/animation package called Art of Illusion (http://aoi.sf.net). The user community is growing fast, and would definitely welcome developers who are interested in writing scripts or plugins for 3D software. Current feature requests from users include things like:

-Particle effects (for explosions, rain, snow, lasers, whatever)
-Physical simulation
-Non-photorealistic Rendering (NPR)
-3D modeling

If you're interested, you wouldn't need to introduce yourself to anyone, or sign on anywhere. You could read the documentation and get started publishing your works to a thankful community right away. This is assuming you have some interest in learning more about 3D stuff.

Anyway, if this doesn't sound interesting, no worries. There are a lot of *users* like me who would love love love to see more developers working on their favorite Open Source projects. If I had some dev skills, I'd start by looking at applications I like to use and checking out the plugin interface. Plugin writers don't have to endure a lot of the politics that are involved if you're committing code to the main codebase (as far as I've seen). This might be a good way to start, since you don't have to write an app from scratch, yet you get a good education in writing useable code.

Also, look at some of the Ubuntu community-published apps available. That may be a good path to pursue as well. What ubuntu potholes might you be able to fill with your talents?

Just some ideas. Good luck. ;)

Lovechild
December 12th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Well depending on your interests Open Source provides an outlet for any coding desires. I would join an existing project if you can find one that interests you - that's probably the best way to contribute.

curuxz
December 12th, 2005, 11:41 AM
If your intrested in a project to make customiseable install disks (ie rapid deployment disks) for ubuntu. Im part of a project starting up we need coders of all ability :) pm me for more details if your intrested