PDA

View Full Version : HELP: trying to find a good OGG player

DWRZ
December 28th, 2008, 11:16 PM
I'm trying to find a good OGG player. Besides being a Kubuntu user I'm also a rather outdoors and active person, as well as a student. I'm looking for something that has as many if not all of the following: Small&portable, flash-based, supports OGG, FM Radio, and records audio (preferably in OGG), uses AA or AAA batteries, is waterproof and can handle being taken out on a run. I don't need a fancy screen, 4GB of storage would be perfect, and I don't care for logos and sound quality so long as it's good.

Any ideas? Iriver (T6, T7 or E100) seems to be the best match, but no AA/AAA batteries and not rugged. :(

RiceMonster
December 29th, 2008, 01:18 AM
I have a COWON D2 (http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/cowon/d2/). It does all of these things, and it's got 8GB of storage. It'll work just fine with Linux too, because it's acts as a mass storage device. I don't know if it's water proof though.

DWRZ
December 29th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Thanks. I've given up on the waterproofing, looks like nothing has it. The COWON seems good, but nothing on the site mentioned it played OGG. Also, it doesn't use disposable batteries. This is pretty important for me-- I hike and travel pretty often and don't always have access to an outlet. It's a feature I'd really like to have, though I guess I'd be willing to give it up if I can't find anything. I find it really hard to believe there isn't a rugged OGG PMP out there-- I don't know why I haven't been able to turn anything up with Google. :(

RiceMonster
December 29th, 2008, 01:47 AM
I'm pretty sure it plays ogg. I know it plays flac. I'm going to try adding some ogg files to it now to see if it does. I'll tell you the results.

Edit: Yup, just added my Death From Above 1979 album I riped in ogg. Plays it just fine.

Also, scroll down on the site to where it says "Affordable PMP". It tells you it plays ogg there :). Just incase you don't want to take my word for it.

DWRZ
December 29th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Thanks-- that's good to know, in case I find out the whole disposable battery option is not worth it.

Jackelope
December 29th, 2008, 02:22 AM
I think I have your answer. I just got a Sansa Clip with 4 gigs of storage, FM radio, USB rechargeable battery, equalizer, and yes, it plays OGG and works with Linux without a problem. All in a package about the size of an Ipod nano. Or if you want a bigger color screen, video playback, and voice recording, go with the Sansa Fuze, also OGG compatible. I would highly recommend either of them to anyone looking for a solid OGG player.

DeadSuperHero
December 29th, 2008, 02:44 AM
go with the Sansa Fuze, also OGG compatible.

Oh my gosh! The Fuze plays OGG?
That settles it, I'm buying one.

fedex1993
December 29th, 2008, 03:06 AM
um the new samsung touchscreen plays OGG files and syncs well with *buntu

ajcham
December 29th, 2008, 03:21 AM
I don't know if you'll have any luck finding a player that uses disposable batteries.* But, as an alternative, you may consider a device such as this (http://www.i-nique.com/detail.asp/d=7/c=17/sku=5055205245874), which takes AA batteries and connects to the player's power inlet. Just make sure to get one that is compatible with your chosen player (the one I linked includes various attachments including, I believe, mini-USB).

* EDIT: There are a few, but they are usually ~512MB—1GB players.

maybeway36
December 29th, 2008, 03:52 AM
My Cowon iAudio 7 plays Ogg Vorbis just fine, but I have so little music I just rip it all to FLAC - it plays that too. The only thing it can't do is playlists, but I usually listen to albums in order, so that doesn't bother me.

MikeTheC
December 29th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Am I to understand the Fuze plays OGG video formats as well?

DWRZ
December 29th, 2008, 04:57 AM
The Sansa clip looks good. I'll have to look around. I guess now that it seems there are no really good disposable options worth considering, this should be easier. AJCham, thanks for the gizmo. I'll have to check it out, though it's not really the option I was looking for. It's a shame, really. I use a K100D (soon a K200D I hope) precisely because it uses AA batteries and not lithium-- very useful on long trips in the wilderness or on the move. It's a shame that there isn't an equivalent on other techs...

TBOL3
December 29th, 2008, 05:11 AM
I don't know if it's said before, but you could get a sansa e200, or c200. They both have user replaceable batteries (the c200 is really easy to replace and can be done while hiking, the e200 is a bit harder, but could easily be done while taking a 5 minute breather).

When you get them, just put rockbox on them, and they'll play ogg files. The sound quality is nothing special, but it's decent enough.

DWRZ
December 29th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Thanks. The thing is, I don't know how much a user-replaceable battery is so much more useful to me than a fixed one, as compared to disposable AA/AAA. They're more expensive, and at 12-15 hours playtime, I'd have to get a lot for the kind of trip I'm considering. I know it's not a fair comparison, but with my K100D camera a lithium AA set will last ages, and in case I run out of those, even the smallest Alpine village and the most backward third world country will have some kind of access to AAs, somehow (plus, worst comes to worst, there's always solar charges and NiMH). I swear they need to find a way to charge electronics from boot movement or something of the sort...

Lostincyberspace
December 29th, 2008, 05:38 AM
about the charging with boot movement it is possible and similar things have begun trial but it will be a while before they are released.

Now about the cowon D2, I have 8GB SD will it read that, most I have seen on the market will only use up to a 4.