PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone!

reprobus
December 28th, 2008, 10:56 PM
If there is a thread specifically for introductions then I can not find it so I will post this here. Anyways, I am your typical geek, computers, Chess, Dungeons & Dragons; the whole nine yards ya know. I've lurked the forums for a while now and finally decided to register because it would not allow me to view attached photos without being logged in. I have used many different UNIX like operating systems over the years such as RedHat(pre Fedora)and FreeBSD to name a few but Ubuntu is definitely my favorite thus far. I was running FreeBSD 7 as my desktop OS but after trying Xubuntu 8.10 I just went ahead and blew the FreeBSD partition away and to think I used to be one of those, "FreeBSD is the best and Linux sucks" types. I've been using Xubuntu 8.10 since the day it was released and to this day thus far I have not had one problem with it, everything has just worked beautifully. I still use windows sometimes, I am on Vista right now but that is soon to change since I found out how to get my wireless network card operational under Ubuntu which wasn't a fault of Ubuntu's by the way. So soon I will be 100% Microsoft free! It seems you guys have a good community here and I am glad I can be a part of it.

BGFG
December 28th, 2008, 11:03 PM
How you doin man? welcome :)
I'm a straight Ubuntu man myself....

red_Marvin
December 29th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Welcome and enjoy your stay. :)

I-75
December 29th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Howdy!

icecruncher
December 29th, 2008, 03:35 AM
hi and welcome

Dr Small
December 29th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Greetings. Chess eh? I love chess :)

Sealbhach
December 29th, 2008, 03:46 AM
Hello and welcome.

I don't think people are especially geeky in these forums - except maybe the Arch users...:)

Big Russ
December 29th, 2008, 05:27 PM
I have noticed myself there is no "meet and greet" sort of thing. Both a good and a bad thing. It's always cool to see new folk joining (starting off on something which somewhat scary for the tech-noob is always better when seeing there are others in the same boat).
On the otherhand though having page after page of "Hi I'm new, from the moon and have a 1.66 jiggawat pc) can reek of rubbish sometimes.

In short I have no idea :D

uberdonkey5
December 29th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I have noticed myself there is no "meet and greet" sort of thing. Both a good and a bad thing. It's always cool to see new folk joining (starting off on something which somewhat scary for the tech-noob is always better when seeing there are others in the same boat).
On the otherhand though having page after page of "Hi I'm new, from the moon and have a 1.66 jiggawat pc) can reek of rubbish sometimes.

In short I have no idea :D

Yeh, ON-LINE as I write this are 13,432 users. I really don't wanna see "hi,I live in Canada (or where-ever)" (no offence to Canada, some of my best friends are canadians) from tens of thousands of users.

However I like it as it is. Like, with a proper water-cooler at work, its nice just to start a casual conversation about why vlc keeps showing squirrels instead of Die Hard II, or some such thing.

Welcome to ubuntu forums. Personally I am extremely grateful to all the people that contribute here as it has been invaluable to me (I mean has enormous value, rather than no value at all :D)