PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help pleaseeeee...

perl20
December 28th, 2008, 09:18 PM
I've been having so many problems with Ubuntu, I want to install Windows XP on my computer. I just bought the computer and I ordered it with the Ubuntu OS istead of Windows and I want to install Windows now. I've been reading that you need at least 1500 megabites of free disk space. My computer came only with 2 gb (Dell Mini 9) and I was thinking of deleting some files from Ubuntu so that i have space to install Windows. I tried using the Synaptic Package manager to delete some packages for good, but it does not give me the option to apply the changes. Can someone let me know how can i delete this files please. I am so tired and I have tried everything so far, always ending on some failure. HELP!!. Thank You.

oilchangeguy
December 28th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I've been having so many problems with Ubuntu, I want to install Windows XP on my computer. I just bought the computer and I ordered it with the Ubuntu OS istead of Windows and I want to install Windows now. I've been reading that you need at least 1500 megabites of free disk space. My computer came only with 2 gb (Dell Mini 9) and I was thinking of deleting some files from Ubuntu so that i have space to install Windows. I tried using the Synaptic Package manager to delete some packages for good, but it does not give me the option to apply the changes. Can someone let me know how can i delete this files please. I am so tired and I have tried everything so far, always ending on some failure. HELP!!. Thank You.

you're gonna need a bigger hard drive. a windows xp install (bare bones, not factory trial/junk software) with all updates (sp3) and anti-virus software (avg free) plus a few other software items. will use around 5gb of space.

gettinoriginal
December 28th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Deleting files will not help, you would have to erase your hard drive to install windows, and with only 4G HD, I do not believe Windows would fit on it. Can you tell us what problems your having with Ubuntu ?? :(

perl20
December 28th, 2008, 09:33 PM
I already bought a 32GB SSD card to install, but I don't know how to do that using Ubuntu, do you know?Thanks again.:confused:

balaknair
December 28th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Insert the card in the card reader slot.
If it is pre-formatted(usually with FAT32) Ubuntu will automatically mount it for use.

If it is not formatted, use gparted to format it(to install gparted, Applications menu> Add/remove applications---> search for partition editor). It's GUI based and easy to use.

linux_tech
December 28th, 2008, 09:42 PM
xubuntu, puppy, damn small linux are a few distros that need less-
http://www.puppylinux.org/
Minimum Hardware Requirements for Puppy Linux-
CPU : Pentium 166MMX
RAM : 128 MB physical RAM for releases since version 1.0.2 or failing that a Linux swap file and/or swap partition is required for all included applications to run; 64 MB for releases previous to 1.0.2
Hard Drive : None
CDROM : 20x and up

http://www.xubuntu.org/get
Minimum system requirements for xubuntu
To install Xubuntu, you need 1.5 GB of free space on your hard disk. Once installed, Xubuntu can run with 192 MB RAM, but it is strongly recommended to have at least 256 MB RAM.

oilchangeguy
December 28th, 2008, 09:43 PM
I already bought a 32GB SSD card to install, but I don't know how to do that using Ubuntu, do you know?Thanks again.:confused:

a memory card should not be used to take the place of a hard drive. i'd suggest an external hard drive.

perl20
December 28th, 2008, 09:45 PM
No I don't think it's formated with FAT. when I place it on the card slot and turn on the computer it says "press any key to restart", when I do this it keeps on telling me the same thing and does not let me log into the system. Have any ideas? thank you :)

steveneddy
December 28th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Maybe you aren't meant for Ubuntu or Linux.

I would suggest trading your Linux laptop for a laptop running Windows.

Just because Linux is a better, more secure and extremely reliable operating system than Windows doesn't mean that you have to run Linux.

I wonder what types of issues you were having and how many times you posted threads on these forums looking for help? I only see seven posts to threads and it seems that you are having elementary issues. Posting a thread with one issue and trying to get past that one issue will help you more in getting your new laptop functioning properly and help you understand your new OS.

I would guess that you may have issues in Windows, also.

You should try Linux when you have more time to devote to learning the new OS because Linux is not Windows. It works and acts differently than Windows.

I would not suggest to anyone ordering any computer with Linux installed unless they are willing to take the time to learn the new OS or already have a little experience with Linux.

Sorry you are having problems. Hope that you get them resolved.

I can't offer any help because the laptops like you have are using a special version of Windows and Ubuntu made especially for the hardware that these laptops use and I myself don't know where to get an operating system for the new small laptops.

perl20
December 28th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Ok thank you all for your help

gettinoriginal
December 28th, 2008, 10:28 PM
There are so many flavors of Linux out there, each with their own attributes. Maybe you should do some googling and read up a little about them ?? :P