PDA

View Full Version : Angry Moviegoer Shoots Man for Talking During Film

MaindotC
December 28th, 2008, 08:06 PM
NY Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2008/12/26/2008-12-26_police_man_shot_for_talking_during_the_c.html)

PHILADELPHIA - A man enraged by a noisy family sitting near him in a movie theater on Christmas night threw popcorn at the son and later shot the father in the arm, police charged.

James Joseph Cialella, 29, of Philadelphia, first told the victim's family to be quiet, then threw popcorn at the man's son, police said. The victim told police that Cialella was walking toward his family when he stood up and was shot.

Detectives called to the United Artists Riverview Stadium theater in South Philadelphia found Cialella in the complex still carrying the weapon — a .380-caliber handgun — in his waistband, a police spokesman said.

"(It) is really scary that it gets to that level of violence from being too noisy during a movie," Lt. Frank Vanore said Friday.

The victim's name was not released, but Vanore said the 31-year-old man from suburban Yeadon was hospitalized in stable condition after the shooting.

A theater manager referred calls Friday to Regal Entertainment Group spokesman **** Westerling, who did not immediately return a phone message.

Cialella was awaiting arraignment on charges including attempted murder, aggravated assault and a firearms count. He remained in custody without a lawyer. A call to his home number Friday rang unanswered.

Police could not confirm what movie was playing in the theater, but The Philadelphia Inquirer reported that it was "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button."

Sealbhach
December 28th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I read that and thought it's kind of understandable really. Is that bad?

Eisenwinter
December 28th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I read that and thought it's kind of understandable really. Is that bad?

I'd say, use a sort of a "warning system", in these cases.

First, ask the "victim" to shut up, should he/she continue talking, ask to shut the hell up, if he/she is still talking, throw pop corn at them, and finally, if all that didn't help, pull out a gun, and ask them to shut the hell up, but not shoot.

MaxIBoy
December 28th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Oh sweet justice! (Yes, I know it's in poor taste, but it's a god-d***ed good thing they make you turn your bazookas off before the show!)

rudihawk
December 28th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Only in america would something like this happen.

/disgust

Trigger happy yanks :P

/sarcasm

billgoldberg
December 28th, 2008, 08:40 PM
This guy obviously has issues and should be in jail.

--

I gave up on cinema a long time ago.

I prefer to watch a movie by meself.

I always have a good stop to sit, I can pause when I please, I can smoke and since I'm by myself I can concentrate on the movie.

Eisenwinter
December 28th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I gave up on cinema a long time ago.

I prefer to watch a movie by meself.

I always have a good stop to sit, I can pause when I please, I can smoke and since I'm by myself I can concentrate on the movie.I totally hear you there man, I can't stand going to the cinema (I haven't in like 5 years or so).

I just hate being in places like that, with many other people in general.

I don't feel like I can enjoy the movie as much as I can when I watch it by myself.

Like, I got the whole series of Beavis And Butt-Head, right? so I always enjoy getting drunk as ****, then watching that show, throws me to the floor man, it's hilarious.

Can't do that at the cinema, can you? 8-)

kjb34
December 28th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Is it that serious ? If stuff like that bothers you stay at home.

JillSwift
December 28th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Like, I got the whole series of Beavis And Butt-Head, right? so I always enjoy getting drunk as ****, then watching that show, throws me to the floor man, it's hilarious.

Can't do that at the cinema, can you? 8-)
You can, but you'll probably get shot. ;)

inxygnuu
December 28th, 2008, 09:07 PM
I think the guy who shot them was fairly reasonable. I don't agree with shooting the guy, but people shouldn't have been talking in the first place.

Kernel Sanders
December 28th, 2008, 09:11 PM
This guy is my hero. I've lost count of the times i've fantasised about napalming people who insist on talking loudly in the cinema. One even answered their mobile phone!

Wasting people who talk in cinema's should be legal.

Giant Speck
December 28th, 2008, 09:56 PM
First of all, how is this a "lighthearted and enjoyable discussion"?

Second, I'm still confused as to why the man had a gun in a movie theater in the first place. "Oh, well, I might as well put my gun in my jacket pcket. Who knows when I'll have to kill someone today."

Mason Whitaker
December 28th, 2008, 09:58 PM
He would have capped someone off eventually, its just coincidence that it was some guy talking in the movie theatre that set him off.

Sealbhach
December 28th, 2008, 10:29 PM
He would have capped someone off eventually, its just coincidence that it was some guy talking in the movie theatre that set him off.

It's one thing that makes me really furious is people talking during a movie, especially if there's noisy kids as well. I very much identify with the guy's anger in this case. Hopefully some good will come of it, like people will STFU in movie theatres from now on.

MikeTheC
December 28th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Bet that's the last time that dude opens his yap in a theater.

"Remember, silence is golden."

Mr. Picklesworth
December 28th, 2008, 10:47 PM
I think the guy who shot them was fairly reasonable.

I think the fact that he thinks shooting somebody will lead to being able to watch a movie in peace proves that the guy has some serious mental disabilities but they have neither been diagnosed nor treated due (again) to a lacking health care system. Any reasonable person should be able to think, well in advance, that shooting a gun is going to end the movie outright, get you arrested and lose you your gun - a far worse fate than the other idiots talking through it.