PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Need Programming Guide

huwaw69
December 28th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I'm currently new to Linux world, I use ubuntu flavor,
i'm currently not studying now due to our financial problems.
My course was B.S. IT, i learn a bit of C++ there and HTML, but i only studied 1 semester so its not enough..

i want to know what proggramming language should i study first for linux, i mean a proggraming language that can be used to linux ubuntu... I had read in some sites and forums that python is for begginers in ubuntu, but what about the uhmmmm what you call this.... i thing its bash scripting? i dunno what it is called...

So anyone guide me please? what proggraming language should i first learn? or study?

slavik
December 28th, 2008, 08:25 PM
You can use C++ with Linux

shadylookin
December 28th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I'm currently new to Linux world, I use ubuntu flavor,
i'm currently not studying now due to our financial problems.
My course was B.S. IT, i learn a bit of C++ there and HTML, but i only studied 1 semester so its not enough..

i want to know what proggramming language should i study first for linux, i mean a proggraming language that can be used to linux ubuntu... I had read in some sites and forums that python is for begginers in ubuntu, but what about the uhmmmm what you call this.... i thing its bash scripting? i dunno what it is called...

So anyone guide me please? what proggraming language should i first learn? or study?

if you already know some of it you might just want to continue to use c++

python can be easy to learn for beginners

bash scripting is writing programs in the command line's(bash) own language.

anyway the stickies at the top of the forum provide a lot of useful information on getting started with programing

huwaw69
December 28th, 2008, 09:08 PM
If i use C++ how can i install it on ubuntu? is there a c++ compiler in ubuntu?

what i know in C++ is just the basics, like if statements and looping... and almost forgot bits of what i learned... but im saving money to buy a book, so i can read and learn C++, uhmmm another thing... uhmm can you give me a tip on what books is good for a begginer in C++? what book should i buy?

Thanks in advance...

tinny
December 28th, 2008, 09:33 PM
@huwaw69

At the very least have a play with Python for 1 week.

Dont take some unknown forum aliases word on this topic, give it a go for yourself so you can make an informed decision.

Regardless of the outcome of your investigations it will be time well invested.

FYI:
http://learnpython.pbwiki.com/HowToStart

slavik
December 28th, 2008, 09:51 PM
@huwaw69

At the very least have a play with Python for 1 week.

Dont take some unknown forum aliases word on this topic, give it a go for yourself so you can make an informed decision.

Regardless of the outcome of your investigations it will be time well invested.

FYI:
http://learnpython.pbwiki.com/HowToStart
yes, learn Python but don't take the word of some unknown alias on a forum ... :)

I guess I missed that you are newer to programming than I thought ... as for C++ books, don't know of any good ones, haven't come across many books for this at all.

Emill
December 28th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Install the package build-essential, then you can use the c++ compiler g++.

tinny
December 28th, 2008, 10:35 PM
yes, learn Python but don't take the word of some unknown alias on a forum ... :)

Thats why I said have a play and didnt give any definitive suggestion on what language to use.

Read my post, its intension was to get the OP to empower themself to make their own decision.

Please dont modify my intent slavik.

shadylookin
December 28th, 2008, 11:25 PM
If i use C++ how can i install it on ubuntu? is there a c++ compiler in ubuntu?

get build-essentials from synaptic or apt then you can use g++

what i know in C++ is just the basics, like if statements and looping... and almost forgot bits of what i learned... but im saving money to buy a book, so i can read and learn C++, uhmmm another thing... uhmm can you give me a tip on what books is good for a begginer in C++? what book should i buy?

you could just use the free tutorials you find on google, our stickies, or wherever
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1983565

Since you only know the very basics you might consider switching or since you know a bit you might want to stick with it since I think python is a bit overhyped and the majority of linux applications are done in C or C++.

is c++ in the hand worth a python in the bush?

Reiger
December 28th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Thats why I said have a play and didnt give any definitive suggestion on what language to use.

Read my post, its intension was to get the OP to empower themself to make their own decision.

Please dont modify my intent slavik.

I think that's called irony. Or sarcasm. ;)

tinny
December 28th, 2008, 11:52 PM

If I actually said dont listen to them listen to me and learn Python.

But yes, when you run out of arguments why not resort to sarcasm or word play? It definitely makes uping your post count easier.

@Reiger im not directing this at you, im just commenting on an ignorant pattern of posting Ive seen around here lately, one that uses sarcasm and word play as its crutch.

samjh
December 29th, 2008, 12:00 AM
My course was B.S. IT, i learn a bit of C++ there and HTML, but i only studied 1 semester so its not enough..Have confidence in yourself. :)

i want to know what proggramming language should i study first for linux, i mean a proggraming language that can be used to linux ubuntu... I had read in some sites and forums that python is for begginers in ubuntu, but what about the uhmmmm what you call this.... i thing its bash scripting? i dunno what it is called...Python and Bash are both worth learning.

Python = Powerful scripting and general-purpose programming language that is relatively easy for beginners. It is commonly used for Ubuntu and a lot of other projects.

Bash scripting = Scripting for the command shell (most common one for Linux is the Bourne Again Shell: BASH)), it's similar in concept to batch files on MS DOS, but much more powerful.

So anyone guide me please? what proggraming language should i first learn? or study?You've already invested a semester learning C++, and C++ is one of the most popular programming languages around. You'd do well to keep learning C++.

Good books on C++:
Accelerated C++ (http://www.amazon.com/Accelerated-Practical-Programming-Example-Depth/dp/020170353X)
C++ Primer Plus (http://www.amazon.com/Primer-Plus-5th-Stephen-Prata/dp/0672326973/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230504374&sr=1-2)

Web tutorial:
http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

E-book:
Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days (http://newdata.box.sk/bx/c/)

slavik
December 29th, 2008, 04:07 AM
:(

pmasiar
December 29th, 2008, 04:48 AM

Irony and sarcasm are blunt instruments, especially mods should use them with care. Especially if mod already posted in the thread, and even if it was obvious FAQ, mod did not linked to FAQ. Of course many people ignore FAQs if even mods do...

slavik
December 29th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Once again, I am not here to babysit anyone. Stickies are at the top of the forum for a reason, they are there as a makeshift FAQ/reference for the more important info. If you're not willing to look for it, why should I?

pmasiar
December 29th, 2008, 05:15 AM
If you're not willing to look for it, why should I?

If you are not willing to mention FAQ when someone asks obvious FAQ, why anyone else should bother to read it, and suggest it next time?

samjh
December 29th, 2008, 05:19 AM
I *hate* back-seat modding, but there are private messages for such arguments. ;)

tinny
December 29th, 2008, 06:12 AM
I *hate* back-seat modding

I'm afraid it has become necessary lately. We should be thankful for our senior forum members.

Nemix
December 29th, 2008, 08:06 AM
i'am in kinda the same position as you, where i know a bit about C++ and want to move my knowledge to Linux. From what i have gathered its well worth the extra time in learning Python, i've only just gone though a few things with Python and its not that hard to get around. Python requires no compiling man is that awesome, saves a lot of time learning. The biggest thing with python that i dislike is white space... C++ it doesnt matter but in python it so does.

the only problem with python is that its not as common as C/C++ where the main branch of people who use it are doing so for Linux (even though not much difference with doing it in window or linux) so and most industry programmers might not even learn it and those who do dont give it much thought.

from what i have gathered good languages to learn are Python, C/C++ and Java and thats what im going by learning Python just for more general use and then C/C++ for bigger projects. I will eventually learn Java but i want to get Python and C/C++ done first, looking at the syntax not that much different than C++ (seeing it was influenced a lot by C and is OOP)

P.S Im also in the boat where i cant go to school for my own reasons.

pp.
December 29th, 2008, 09:41 AM
There are many answers to those and more questions at tbe beginning of the Programming forum:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1006666

So, there. That didn't take so much space or time, did it?

ankursethi
December 29th, 2008, 10:06 AM
If anybody still wants to know, Bruce Eckel's Thinking in C++ is an excellent book. It's available for free online, so you can try it out before purchasing it.

huwaw69
December 30th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Well maybe i'll try phyton... Well i hope i can buy a book for pyhton here in our country... Damn financial problems!

pmasiar
December 30th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Well maybe i'll try phyton... Well i hope i can buy a book for pyhton here in our country... Damn financial problems!

Python community is great, donated many excellent books to public domain. My wiki has links to full books for beginners. Of course buy the book to support the authors if you can afford it, but lack of financial resources will not stop you learning Python.