PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Indevisual Files From Sites

Thilo Kuhlman
December 28th, 2008, 07:50 PM
This may be a dumb question but oh well. If I extract the files of an app, how do I get Ubuntu to install and run it? What are the install-run commands in terminal?

gettinoriginal
December 28th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Once you have extracted the files, there should be a "read me" file, this should tell you how to install it.

To install from terminal:

sudo apt-get install <program name>

To run from terminal:

<program name>

Thilo Kuhlman
December 28th, 2008, 08:19 PM
No. I mean like I have the files on a folder on my desktop, and I want to turn them into an installed application.

oldos2er
December 28th, 2008, 08:35 PM
No. I mean like I have the files on a folder on my desktop, and I want to turn them into an installed application.

It depends on what the files in a folder are, e.g. source code, or precompiled binaries, or ?

Thilo Kuhlman
December 28th, 2008, 08:38 PM
xlink kai downloaded files, whatever they are..they are just the files that make up the program

oldos2er
December 28th, 2008, 10:33 PM
I'd start looking for any documentation that came with the program, README or INSTALL or something in a "docs" folder.

Thilo Kuhlman
December 28th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Never mind. The program hardly works for Ubuntu, and I have it up and running on Window's. (If Ubuntu's version worked, I would of still pursued it, but this is a rush thing I'm trying to get done. Thanks for the help, though.