View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] I'm an Idiot - Idiot Helper Needed!

December 28th, 2008, 06:33 PM

I am a brand new user to Ubuntu and after much mucking about got it installed to a pen drive and onto my Advent 4211 (MSI Wind 100 rebranded).

Pretty much everything works except the Wifi Card which is a Realtek 8187se.

Done a load of reading and downloaded lots of updated packages for the right drivers and been told to "build essentials" and all that.

But here's the rub.

I am new to this so although I have been in IT for 30 years I know nothing - so I am asking for help and more importantly for anyone who can help to treat me like a complete moron (which is sometimes closer to the truth than I would like ... ahem!)

Can anyone tell me how to resolve this in the style of "Step 1 - you're an idiot, do this ... Step 2 - You're still an idiot, now do this ... step 3 ..... and so on"

I need to a step by step "Hand hold" through this process if someone can help I will be indebted (But I'll still be an idiot ... probably)

I played with Ubuntu a couple of years ago but I have forgotten all I learned (Cos I'm an idiot) and I am way impressed with how its evolved which is probably in no small part the people on forums such as this.

Having worked a part of my career for Microsnot and Scum Microsystems et al I am a great believer in "Open Sauce".

I got the 4211 and its been a good machine on Windows (I upgraded the HDD to 320GB and added another 3GB of RAM so it goes pretty well).

So there you have it - anyone fancy assisting an Idiot - please???

I am on Intrepid Ibex (8.10)


December 28th, 2008, 08:52 PM
start at the very beginning, a very good place to start

December 28th, 2008, 09:04 PM
4 options from the MSI Wind website (http://wiki.msiwind.net/index.php/Ubuntu_8.04_Hardy_Heron#Wireless:). Now the options (with instructions) are for Hardy Heron, but from my reading, the steps should be similar on Intrepid Ibex for you.

December 29th, 2008, 12:51 AM

I followed your link and instructions to the MSI site and it worked - the only change I made was when copying the *.ko files to the directories as my version numbers were slightly different.

Also thanks to ieee428 - I did all the steps and have retained that information.

Many thanks again for your fast and effective help - dont feel such an idiot now.



December 29th, 2008, 01:35 AM
Glad to be of service, thank you for marking your thread solved. :)

Welcome to the community!