PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems with 8.10 checksum5

jcats
December 28th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I've tried to download 8.10 (both 32 and 64 bit versions), 3 times on 2 different computers. I've tried burning it to disc with both Brasero and CD/DVD creator. The burn always go successful. Then I try to check the checksum, and it always fails. On the 64 bit version, I always get an error window, almost immediately. And with the 32 bit version, the check runs until it gets to 78% and then it just just sits there.
In both cases, I've used Brasero to do the checksum.
Anybody have any ideas what is going on?
Thanks;
jcats

jorj82
December 28th, 2008, 06:12 PM
You won't have to worry about the checksum if you use a torrent. Get it here: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#bt

jcats
December 28th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Thank you jorj. Why is it that I don't have to check, if I download it by a torrent?
jcats

jorj82
December 28th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Well, it's basically because torrents download small chunks of the file, checking each piece as it goes. If it finds an error in one piece, that piece gets re-downloaded. Torrents are generally better anyway (IMO) because you can share them back to the community. :)

jcats
December 29th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the info,jorj. But it hasn't fixed my problem. I downloaded them by torrent, checked the integrity and it failed, just like before. I put 1 of the discs on another computer and had it check the disc for errors. I got boot load errors.:confused:
I have downloaded and burned every version of Ubuntu since 7.04, so I'm pretty sure it's not an equipment problem.
I'm open to trying anything else.
Thanks again;
jcats

jorj82
December 29th, 2008, 01:57 AM
What speed are you using to burn? The slower the better, try for x4 or slower. Also, make sure you burn it as an 'image' not 'data' so you don't just get a cd with an iso on it.

jcats
December 29th, 2008, 02:33 AM
In every case, I've burned them at the slowest the program will allow me to. I also burned them as an image. That's why I like using Brasero, as it has all those options.
After poking around in the forum, it seems that the answer is to keep trying until I get a good copy.:( Not the option I was looking for.