PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Should I trust the automatic updates?

ChrisB111
December 28th, 2008, 11:01 AM
I am confused whether to install the automatic updates suggested by synaptic? I suppose this behavior comes from being a windows user and waiting to the last possible moments to install updates on to a stable system. It says it has 209 to install, should I give in and let it?

Thanks,

Chris

Idefix82
December 28th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Definitely install the important security updates! Whether you install the recommended updates is up to you.
Your caution is not entirely unreasonable. Sometimes updates do break something. But it happens rarely and you are never the only one, so with the help of the community things can always be fixed. That's one of the main differences between Windows and Linux: things can almost never break beyond repair. The other difference is that Ubuntu won't install anything to spy on you, so if that's your worry, you can leave that behind :)

Welcome to the Ubuntu community!

chewit
December 28th, 2008, 11:41 AM
The updates have been beta tested before on the proposed repos. I always install the updates, love having the latest and greatest of any software.

Never had an issue with any of the updates.

zvacet
December 28th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Install them,because most ofthem are probably security updates and you want to have these.